2021 albums

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: 2021 albums

Postby Soze » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:19 pm

bloodfiend wrote:I think the awkwardness of vinyl is one of the main attractions tbh, ie the old school cinematic experience, I've got Cradle's remastered Cruelty on double red vinyl, and it's constant flipping and swapping with only 3 songs on each side, but that's part of the fun eh?

You've clearly got a different understanding of the concept of fun to me :lol: I buy CDs as I like to own something physical still, which is daft really I know but I'm too old to change my ways now. I'll never rely exclusively on Spotify as the quality isn't great.

I've decided to write a little review page every month this year of 20201 stuff I've heard. Here's January if anyone has ten minutes to spare. It's not all metal and I didn't get around to Steven Wilson or Soen (not that I'm a big fan of either) until this month.

https://soze.medium.com/january-album-r ... 1fab1fcc56

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:03 pm

Soze wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:I think the awkwardness of vinyl is one of the main attractions tbh, ie the old school cinematic experience, I've got Cradle's remastered Cruelty on double red vinyl, and it's constant flipping and swapping with only 3 songs on each side, but that's part of the fun eh?

You've clearly got a different understanding of the concept of fun to me :lol: I buy CDs as I like to own something physical still, which is daft really I know but I'm too old to change my ways now. I'll never rely exclusively on Spotify as the quality isn't great.

I've decided to write a little review page every month this year of 20201 stuff I've heard. Here's January if anyone has ten minutes to spare. It's not all metal and I didn't get around to Steven Wilson or Soen (not that I'm a big fan of either) until this month.

That was interesting. I seem to like the new therion more than you do though.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:26 pm

Just got the Frozen Soul album through today and it’s a belter.
Didn’t know much about these guys, I’m normally quite up on most major label releases but been playing the ‘singles’ for the last couple of weeks since they were mentioned on here,
There’s a good chance that if both gavdann and ghost both say it’s good, then I’ll like it also :)

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:18 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:
Soze wrote:

Really don't find anything interesting about the new Therion album, it seems they've forgotten how to put anything remotely memorable in their songs, it's just pompous symphonic farting around with no real songs.

The only savjbg grace is its shorter than the last album. However apparently they're released part 2 and part 3 of this album over the next 2 years urgh.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:30 pm

gazsetsfire wrote:There’s a good chance that if both gavdann and ghost both say it’s good, then I’ll like it also :)

:yes:

bloodfiend wrote:Tribulation's Where The Gloom Becomes Sound is very good, same style as the last 2 albums, and that's good with me.

Not had the same impact on me as their last album but then it sounded really original back then. Probably a grower though
I see the bad moon arising.

Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:53 pm

For those that liked Frozen Soul, I would recommend these bands also, death metal has always been my favourite genre overall but recently there's been such an amazing surge in the genre I've pretty much neglected everything else. You may already know some of them but check out:

Undergang, Mortiferum, Of Feather And Bone, Fulci, Undeath, Cartilage, Hyperdontia, Mortuous and Vomit Forth.

If anyone likes the more grindcore/goregrind/early Carcass thing then go for Septage and Miasmatic Necrosis.
RedTeamWins wrote:
Turbo wrote:I presented the goods and I got no reply. Good job this isnt ebay.

A+++ EXCELLENT MOOBS, WOULD VIEW AGAIN.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:57 am

Kylan_Paassa wrote:Undergang, Mortiferum, Of Feather And Bone, Fulci, Undeath, Cartilage, Hyperdontia, Mortuous and Vomit Forth.

There's a few I've not heard so will check them out.

I've been enjoying the new Revulsion (Finland) album this week. Very tasty bass sound! It's brutal, slightly doomy but not enough to be death-doom.

Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:36 pm

I don't know Revulsion! Shall check em out. Doom tinged death metal is always ace.
RedTeamWins wrote:
Turbo wrote:I presented the goods and I got no reply. Good job this isnt ebay.

A+++ EXCELLENT MOOBS, WOULD VIEW AGAIN.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:37 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:
Soze wrote:

Really don't find anything interesting about the new Therion album, it seems they've forgotten how to put anything remotely memorable in their songs, it's just pompous symphonic farting around with no real songs.

The only savjbg grace is its shorter than the last album. However apparently they're released part 2 and part 3 of this album over the next 2 years urgh.

I meant his reviews were interesting. The album isn’t particularly interesting imo; I would characterise the the new Therion as light, but enjoyable enough. I think it’s better than 1.5/5.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:53 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:

I meant his reviews were interesting. The album isn’t particularly interesting imo; I would characterise the the new Therion as light, but enjoyable enough. I think it’s better than 1.5/5.

Yes I know lol, my use of "interesting" was unrelated to yours.

It's just such an utterly bland album, everything just plods along drearily; even when we get Marko Hietala singing on a song, which should theoretically give tha album a kick up the arse, even Marko manages to be neutered and forgettable due to the blandness of the song he's giving.

Dunno what's happened to Therion, their last 4 albums have been dire and the one before that nothing more than average, you'd have to go back to Lemuria/Sirius B, for their last album that was actually good.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:39 pm

gavdann wrote:
I've been enjoying the new Revulsion (Finland) album this week. Very tasty bass sound! It's brutal, slightly doomy but not enough to be death-doom.

Yep it's a juicy one!

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:49 pm

Loving the Paranorm album.

It's been labelled progressive-thrash or progressive-death but it just sounds like a banging thrash-metal album to me. Lots of cool melodic riffs and lots of awesome guitar solos! :rock:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:37 pm

I'm enjoying Witherfall - Curse of Autumn. Recommend for fans of Iced Earth.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:40 pm

Ghost wrote:I'm enjoying Witherfall - Curse of Autumn. Recommend for fans of Iced Earth.

Its my album of the year so far, but its not saying much so far.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:40 pm

Double post
Last edited by Skippy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!