So much for Iced Earth...

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: So much for Iced Earth...

Postby Ghost » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:55 pm

Everyone remember to be kind......this isn't twitter ha ha.

Where's gandalf when you need him!!
I see the bad moon arising.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:09 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:May be all a moot point anyway as I don't know if the other members of Iced Earth and Demons & Wizards will want anything to do with him after this

Stu Block seems to be ambivalent at best but I saw a screenshot of some comments from him on Facebook which were more supportive of Jon. Century Media will probably refuse to work with him and he might end up as a pariah to the community. If he ends up in jail then both bands will probably be done anyway.
metaldinosaur wrote:The American left/right paradigm is a mess.

America has no left. The American political spectrum is very much skewed to the right. The two parties meet in the middle in the centre-right with one party veering into fascism and the other into bland centrism.
Last edited by Black Wizard on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:31 pm

Powerslave wrote:ah, the old classic "people need to be more politically tolerant" followed immediately by "you're not smart because you have a different opinion to me"

it comes down to people not wanting to support and put money into the pocket of someone who they have fundamentally come to dislike. if you were a regular in a pub and one day you found out the landlord was doing things you found morally unacceptable, you'd go and drink somewhere else.

it's an extreme example of course, but you wouldn't say "well, Ian Watkins has been dealt with by the law, so i'm going to keep wearing my Lostprophets shirt"

The 'old' Tolerant/not smart thaaang? It that an axiom? No. No it is not.

If you have come to dislike someone and do not wish do give them money for that reason, its is fine by me. On this we agree.

However, that's not my point. We still don't know John's motivation, and that is important. Very important. To react to the possibility that someone has undertaken a social and political transgression, by say: feeling disgust at your prior-self watching their band, or wishing the accused livelihood to be taken away, creates poor discord, which leads to things like, say Trump. Its not a good thing for stability.

Now if john is a full Nazi, my point is nolonger relevant, but for now do not think he is. I would still want a degree of (abstract) tolarance, even then, but my stance would be very different.

Watkins behaviour is not political. Perversion and evil can be quantified and separated, and so it is by every one, even if we find it difficult to articulate how/why. The point is not relevant.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:33 pm

Ghost wrote:Everyone remember to be kind......this isn't twitter ha ha.

If I've offended anyone, please know it was not my intention.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:35 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:

as far as i'm concerned it's a good natured debate :yes:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:13 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:May be all a moot point anyway as I don't know if the other members of Iced Earth and Demons & Wizards will want anything to do with him after this

Stu Block seems to be ambivalent at best but I saw a screenshot of some comments from him on Facebook which were more supportive of Jon. Century Media will probably refuse to work with him and he might end up as a pariah to the community. If he ends up in jail then both bands will probably be done anyway.

America has no left. The American political spectrum is very much skewed to the right. The two parties meet in the middle in the centre-right with one party veering into fascism and the other into bland centrism.
Ghost wrote:Where's gandalf when you need him!!

Probably in Washington joining in since he's a fascist himself.

If he does decide to chip in it'll probably be something like "Have some fucking respect!" followed by a racial slur or something else moronic and disrespectful.

See you in court.

Hope you've got a good lawyer.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:24 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:

Ghost wrote:Where's gandalf when you need him!!

If he does decide to chip in it'll probably be something like "Have some fucking respect!" followed by a racial slur or something else moronic and disrespectful.

See you in court.

Laurence fox, is that you?

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:27 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:

Not at all. You're a top forum person. Just wanting people to stay kind to you because you have an opposite opinion to the majority which is good for debate. :yes: I've spent too much time reading twitter where people get vile quickly.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:29 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
See you in court.

My man is back :yes: :yes: :yes:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:29 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Black Wizard wrote:Stu Block seems to be ambivalent at best but I saw a screenshot of some comments from him on Facebook which were more supportive of Jon. Century Media will probably refuse to work with him and he might end up as a pariah to the community. If he ends up in jail then both bands will probably be done anyway.

See you in court.

If you've got any sense then I wouldn't provoke anything else or create anymore slander.

You all do know that posting allegations on social media is slander which is a criminal offence? I will be talking to my brief in the morning.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:29 pm

Powerslave wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:

as far as i'm concerned it's a good natured debate :yes:

No worries mate.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:38 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:You all do know that posting allegations on social media is slander which is a criminal offence? I will be talking to my brief in the morning.

you can't slander someone in writing- i'm sure your lawyer will point that out in the morning.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:10 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
See you in court.

If you've got any sense then I wouldn't provoke anything else or create anymore slander.

You all do know that posting allegations on social media is slander which is a criminal offence? I will be talking to my brief in the morning.

A Comparison to a public figure is not slander, I have just about enough sense to know that. I actually agree with Laurence on some points as well, ergo, it wasn't directed at you as an insult (which in themselves are not slander). However, you pretty much quoted him, did you not know that?

You seem less and less happy Gandalf. I really don't know you but I don't think that is a good thing - I mean it. Threatening to sue people online is not a behaviour that either courts or enhances wellbeing or purpose in life.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:43 am

Just a joke buddy. I'm happy to remove the offending post to keep the peace.

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:30 am

metaldinosaur wrote:We still don't know John's motivation, and that is important. Very important. To react to the possibility that someone has undertaken a social and political transgression, by say: feeling disgust at your prior-self watching their band, or wishing the accused livelihood to be taken away, creates poor discord, which leads to things like, say Trump. Its not a good thing for stability.

If he'd have stayed outside, across the street and just engaged in the protest then you could make that argument. But as soon as he entered that building and started charging through those corridors then it's no longer just a 'possibility' or a question of motivation.
His actions, alongside the others he was with, were an act of domestic terrorism and were carried out solely to try and prevent the confirmation of a democratically elected president. That in itself is an act of fascism. I really don't see how it can be viewed any other way