So much for Iced Earth...

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: So much for Iced Earth...

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:48 am

Czech's Mate wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:I really hope you wrote this entirely off your own back and not because you actually took any ridiculous threats of legal action seriously.

This! If I recall correctly there have been a number of occasions when certain people or a certain person ----mentioning no name for fear of getting sued!-----have made a number of rather exceptional claims or accusations on here that could have been taken as defamatory if the recipient had decided to be a total arse but as yet other than being threatened with having to buy the mods a drink (see the thread.....I still think I owe a couple of pints for historic squabbling if AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH is reading) Nothing has ever happened and I don't believe it ever will.....it's a music thread on a metal forum FFS

These threads have always had incendiary comments and I for one don't take them seriously......though I do think the mods take the demands for a pint seriously.

Overall I don't think it is or ever was an issue

Keyboard-warrior bullies usually employ a 'dish it out but can't take it' approach unfortunately.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:07 am

bloodofthekings wrote:
Keyboard-warrior bullies usually employ a 'dish it out but can't take it' approach unfortunately.

Although you always know a keyboard warrior has cracked when they tries to pull rank and make threats.

It was basically the equivalent of Gandalf saying "im telling my mummy about you".

You have to wonder just how insecure and precious he is to have to threaten legal action to protect his reputation as a faceless username on a deserted message board.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Iced Earth’s Jon Schaffer has turned himself in to authorities after participating in the Jan. 6 pro-Trump mob riot at the United States Capitol Building as Electoral College votes for now President-elect Joe Biden were being certified.

WishTV reports the FBI confirmed Schaffer turned himself in at around 3PM ET.

"Jon Schaffer, Columbus, IN, has been arrested in connection to Jan 6 incident at the U.S. Capitol," reads an official statement from the FBI. "Schaffer faces 6 charges including engaging in an act of physical violence in a Capitol building. Schaffer was allegedly among rioters who sprayed Capitol police with "bear spray."

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:36 pm

Powerslave wrote:
Iced Earth’s Jon Schaffer has turned himself in to authorities after participating in the Jan. 6 pro-Trump mob riot at the United States Capitol Building as Electoral College votes for now President-elect Joe Biden were being certified.

WishTV reports the FBI confirmed Schaffer turned himself in at around 3PM ET.

"Jon Schaffer, Columbus, IN, has been arrested in connection to Jan 6 incident at the U.S. Capitol," reads an official statement from the FBI. "Schaffer faces 6 charges including engaging in an act of physical violence in a Capitol building. Schaffer was allegedly among rioters who sprayed Capitol police with "bear spray."

See him in about 10 - 15 years then. Guess his next album will be a solo project then Flat Earth Black Metal will obviously become a new genre
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:18 pm

With any luck being inside will get him to sort his head out and he comes out not an arsehole.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:05 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:
gavdann wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Ah the days when there used to be mods on here :lol:

I thought this had always been a hangout for rockers only. :D

Sixties joke - Hadouken!

That's all of you on the list then... :finger:

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:33 pm

Century Media have purged Iced Earth and Demons & Wizards from their sites.

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:22 am

LOL! One weekend I don't log in and there's a 5 page thread on this. Looks like I've got some reading to do. But yeah, very shocking, disappointing, but I refuse to make me enjoy Iced Earth any less after buying all those CDs. I'll just have to block this out of my mind and remember that all human being do and say stupid things in their lifetime.

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:59 am

It won't stop me listening to Iced Earth's music either, particularly given that their material isn't overly political (Glorious Burden aside and even then, a lot of that was more in the historical sense a la Sabaton) and given that I feel that would be disrespectful to the other members of the band who haven't done anything wrong.

However, I do think we shouldn't lose sight of what Schaffer has done. To say that he's done something 'stupid' or to argue that he deserves a chance to explain himself or query what his motives were is massively downplaying the severity of this.
He was part of a mob that, whether they consciously realised it or not (and that's no excuse), committed an act of domestic terrorism. And I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that. That's what it was. They massively compromised the national security of the country they claim to love so much and caused 5 people to lose their lives. Shaking our heads, wagging our fingers and saying "oh what a silly boy" doesn't really do it justice I'm afraid.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:26 pm

Since this all kicked off I've been rediscovering Iced Earth in a major way. This certainly won't put me off listening to the band's music - hell, if that kind of thing did, noone would ever listen to some black metal bands again. Considering they haven't toured over here in years, this is best thing that he's done for his band's profile in ages - people are talking about them again. Shame they won't be around to enjoy it.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:20 pm

Its beyond naughty boy for sure. He is probably going to jail.

The ITV documentary shows the odd nature of the terrorism/protest (delete as appropriate) at work that day. There where many politically extreme and outright deranged people there (includingthe lady who was shot, it seems). Most where not though, and seemed to be acting more like the whole thing was a museum visit. Still, there was tremendous danger in that gathering, it could have gone very wrong indeed.

It sounds like John was not one of the 'museum visit style' people, which is unfortunate, but not unexpected. He seems closer to the deranged demographic, tbh. Still, unpersoning him at this point is unhelpful to anyone beyond the critics own idea of their own righteousness and superiority. The law will deal with him, that's enough for me, it should be enough for anyone - to a degree, that is the point of the law.

For all the reasons I stated above, I will await the outcome of the trial, before making a long term judgment on the man.

He had been clearly being struggling for a while. So whilst I don't have sympathy, or respect for him, I do retain my empathy towards him, so far at least.
I await his statement, for clarity. It will be interesting to see how he reacts after the jail time too.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:32 pm

It puts quite a tarnish on their "god bless America" album, The Glorious Burden. That album was shite anyway though, so hard to tarnish it further!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:40 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:Its beyond naughty boy for sure. He is probably going to jail.

I don't think there's any probably about it, he's certain to get a jail sentence for this.

Still I'm sure Jon Schaffer is consoling himself that at least he's not Black Wizard, what with Gandalf's lawyer on the case; who cares about domestic terrorism when Gandalf's having a hissy fit?

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:13 pm

bloodfiend wrote:It puts quite a tarnish on their "god bless America" album, The Glorious Burden. That album was shite anyway though, so hard to tarnish it further!

There's a lot of utter trash on that album but Waterloo and the Gettysburg trilogy are brilliant imo.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:37 pm

i0th2 wrote:
There's a lot of utter trash on that album but Waterloo and the Gettysburg trilogy are brilliant imo.

Agreed.
I see the bad moon arising.