Bands you saw before they made it big

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Bands you saw before they made it big

Postby Green Man III » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:44 am

The best example I can think of is a band called The Tempest. Watched them play to about 5-10 audience members that weren't related to the other bands on the bill (the first band on that bill and only 2 members in the audience including myself). They later changed their name to The Agonist when they got signed. More known is the singer Alissa White Gluz who became the singer for Arch Enemy and a big metal superstar in so many other ways.

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: Bands you saw before they made it big

Postby cheesemason » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:12 am

I guess it’s all subjective compared to how big they are now, but some I think that count would be:

Opeth at Stanley Theatre in Liverpool in front of 100 or so people
Trivium also at Stanley Theatre in front of a couple of hundred
Rammstein at Manchester Apollo with pretty much their entire arena pyro. Insane show
System of a Down at Manchester Academy 2
Devin Townsend a couple of time at Manchester Academy 3
Foo Fighters at Royal Court in Liverpool
Gojira at Stoke Sugarmill

You might mean smaller than that, but still some huge bands in tiny venues in there

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:28 pm

cheesemason wrote:System of a Down at Manchester Academy 2

that must've been absolute bedlam :lol:

for me, probably seeing Sabaton at the Slade Rooms in Wolverhampton. it was already a pretty small venue for them in fairness, but it was great to see them in such a tiny room.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:29 pm

I've seen a few support acts, which I've deliberate gone to watch over the headliners, who have gone on to be big deals - Watain and Amon Amarth springs to mind, I was a very early adopter of both. But there isn't many small headline shows I can think of where the band became massive latter on.

Ghost at Sheffield academy (co-headliner with Gojira) is sort of one I guess, but the venue isn't that small. Tickets where like £5 as it was been sponsored by Jagermeister, bargain. Ghost put on a very different type of show back then too, lots of big hand gestures and dramatic movements from Papa - there was way less audience interaction too.

I very nearly went to see them in London at (I think) the underworld, but didn't due to clashing with something or other. That would have been a good one to have, alas no maiden at the Ruskin Arms moment for me.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:41 pm

Nightwish at Bradford Rios in 2004.

To say that was 'packed' would be an understatement.

Also saw Behemoth support Devil Driver at Leeds Rios in 2009

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:43 am

cheesemason wrote:

Trivium also at Stanley Theatre in front of a couple of hundred

I think I got you beat on that one. I saw Trivium open for 3 Inches Of Blood. It was a bar so less than a hundred people, probably just around 50.

On that note, I remember seeing Lamb of God as the first band on the bill, next was The Haunted, then Dimmu Borgir, then Cannibal Corpse. About two years later, they were the second last band for Gigantour just before Megadeth. So yeah, a massive leap.

One other band that might be perceived as making it big is Cauldron. Well, before they went on world tours, they were just a small Toronto band called Goathorn. I remember seeing the very first Cauldron show in a little bar, there were about 6 bands that night and they were on somewhere in the middle.

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:58 am

Green Man III wrote:One other band that might be perceived as making it big is Cauldron. Well, before they went on world tours, they were just a small Toronto band called Goathorn. I remember seeing the very first Cauldron show in a little bar, there were about 6 bands that night and they were on somewhere in the middle.

I really liked the first Cauldron album "Chained to the Nite" - sadly their presence in the UK pretty much dropped off a cliff after that album & its touring cycle.

Even then, the venues they played on that first full UK tour with Bonded by Blood were pretty small - large pubs really. I remember when that tour came to Leeds, I was involved in running a local rock night at the time and a friend of mine worked at a local record store who helped promote the gig (sadly only about 30 people showed up).
We were tasked with looking after the band post-gig and finding somewhere for them to drink, which on a Monday night in the days before late-licensing wasn't particularly easy. We ended up in a dingy downstairs room of a local pub surrounded almost exclusively by Asian businessmen singing dodgy kareoke :lol:
Gotta say, Cauldron tapped out early but the BxB guys managed to keep going until the sun came up!

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:04 am

cheesemason wrote:Trivium also at Stanley Theatre in front of a couple of hundred

I saw Trivium headline Bloodstock with a similar sized crowd :lol:

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:39 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Green Man III wrote:One other band that might be perceived as making it big is Cauldron. Well, before they went on world tours, they were just a small Toronto band called Goathorn. I remember seeing the very first Cauldron show in a little bar, there were about 6 bands that night and they were on somewhere in the middle.

I really liked the first Cauldron album "Chained to the Nite" - sadly their presence in the UK pretty much dropped off a cliff after that album & its touring cycle.

Even then, the venues they played on that first full UK tour with Bonded by Blood were pretty small - large pubs really. I remember when that tour came to Leeds, I was involved in running a local rock night at the time and a friend of mine worked at a local record store who helped promote the gig (sadly only about 30 people showed up).
We were tasked with looking after the band post-gig and finding somewhere for them to drink, which on a Monday night in the days before late-licensing wasn't particularly easy. We ended up in a dingy downstairs room of a local pub surrounded almost exclusively by Asian businessmen singing dodgy kareoke :lol:
Gotta say, Cauldron tapped out early but the BxB guys managed to keep going until the sun came up!

Chist, that sounds like mid 00's Leeds in a nutshell!
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:32 am

bloodofthekings wrote:

That's funny to hear! Jason and the boys were always shooting for a drinking reputation and in fact that's what always made Goathorn/Cauldron such fun to see live, they were always a blast while really drunk. I always found that Cauldron sounded better live than they did on their CDs. And any band that does a cover of a Tyrant (Germany) song wins extra points with me!

I don't mean to make fun of them, I've hanged out with them many times and they're good people. But if you can handle it, check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbqVk0C3V7s + https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkO8i2huMOQ Jason's excuse to me was that they got really drunk the night before.

Around the time that Goathorn was breaking up and Cauldron was starting, I remember speaking with Jason while he poured his heart out to me about how the music was his lifeline. Around that same time I had a drunken vision and I told him, "One day I'm going to see you play in England". I haven't actually seen them play in England yet but they have played England which was huge in my eyes for this local band to me.

Oh, and were those karaoke Asian businessmen singing Deep Purple?

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:29 am

cheesemason wrote:Foo Fighters at Royal Court in Liverpool

I saw Dave Grohl when he was just the drummer :lol:
Nirvana - Kilburn National Ballroom

Seen Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax in mid sized places like Hammersmith Odeon or Brixton Academy.

Maiden in Cambridge Corn Exchange when their stock dropped in the mid 90's.

I've seen loads of the big indie bands before/as they hit the big time.
Arctic Monkeys - Islington Bar Academy, Cambridge Soul Tree, Norwich UEA
The Killers - Colchester Arts Centre, Norwich UEA
Kings of Leon - Electric Ballroom
The Strokes - Cambridge Corn Ex
The White Stripes - London Forum, Shepherds Bush Empire
Oasis - Loads of places
Blur, The Levellers, House of Love - Ipswich Corn Ex
Carter USM - Ipswich Caribbean Centre
PWEI - Marquee Club
Manics - Norwich Waterfront
Pulp - Norwich UEA
System oaD, Janes Addiction, Pixies, Ramones, Wonderstuff, Neds, Radiohead, Coldplay, Kasabian, The Verve - Brixton Academy
The Cure - Wembley Arena in the early 90's before they arguably got even bigger as I saw them in Hyde Park most recently.

Drachenfells1
Lowly Peon

Postby Drachenfells1 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:57 pm

Have not seen many compared to most of you, I lived in Northampton in my Youth so went to there Roadmender venue a lot.

Oasis in a room that held 350 people the week after Live forever was released, it was hell, way more people there than they said, people were standing on the bar and I was crushed all the time

Manic street preachers twice there, in the main room capacity about 800 once with the wildhearts supporting, second time with dub war.

Faith no More on there intermate tour to promote King for a day, total crushfest, could not move at all.

thats about it for bands that made it BIG but lots of medium sized bands
Paradise lost, the Dammed, Marillion ect

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:41 pm

i0th2 wrote:
cheesemason wrote:Trivium also at Stanley Theatre in front of a couple of hundred

I saw Trivium headline Bloodstock with a similar sized crowd :lol:

:lol:
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:50 pm

Behemoth supporting Nile in 2001
Sabaton at the Purple Turtle pub
Cradle Of Filth at the Underworld
Alcest at the Purple Turtle
Amon Amarth at the Underworld

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:09 pm

I used to go to the Cart and Horses, Maryland Point every Friday night in the mid '70s when some Maiden members played in other bands. Don't remember much (too much lager) but I remember meeting Steve Harris outside the Red Lion Leytonstone one night...he was going to lend me his sister's cardigan!