Corey Taylor Speaks

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
slayerslays
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:00 pm
Location: Devon

Corey Taylor Speaks

Postby slayerslays » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:46 pm

Came across this today....will he be 'cancelled'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsj8p9ya3Zk

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:00 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Corey Taylor Speaks

Postby slayerslays » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:51 pm

Should be in the Bloodstock Arms really....

i0th2
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 11:26 pm

Re: Corey Taylor Speaks

Postby i0th2 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:28 pm

Corey thinks people not liking an Eminem lyric is the same as the KKK...what a fuckwit.

User avatar
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Corey Taylor Speaks

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:45 pm

i0th2 wrote:Corey thinks people not liking an Eminem lyric is the same as the KKK...what a fuckwit.


That's not what he's saying.

He mentioned context, that is important.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2342
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Corey Taylor Speaks

Postby Skippy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:19 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:
i0th2 wrote:Corey thinks people not liking an Eminem lyric is the same as the KKK...what a fuckwit.


That's not what he's saying.

He mentioned context, that is important.

No, that's pretty much what he says. I mean, the way he says it is casual, perhaps he means something deeper than it, but it really doesn't come across. I've always thought Corey Taylor was a pretty intelligent guy, but his argument in this clip is really poorly put out.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:00 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Corey Taylor Speaks

Postby slayerslays » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:24 am

I thought he was comparing the cancel culture- or 'outrage age' as he aptly calls it, to all the 'witch' hunts that have gone on in the past...(he says the Salem witch trials first). Good on him for sticking his neck out especially as he is a white man!

i0th2
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 158
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 11:26 pm

Re: Corey Taylor Speaks

Postby i0th2 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:15 am

Salem witch trials actually killed people, the link is insane.

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2342
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Corey Taylor Speaks

Postby Skippy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:29 pm

I usually think so called "cancel culture" is just businesses trying to boost their bottom line - in the same week Dr Suess' books were taken out of print, the company that "cancelled" them posted record profits as people brought his books in protest. Piers Morgan walks off GMB because it will help him negotiate a new multi-million pound deal with the people making a new Fox News-style channel over here. Even the whole Gina Carrano thing came out as people were calling Disney out over there bad working conditions. Most of the time, so called "cancellations" are little more than distractions.

Don't get me wrong, there are some absolutely terrifying things going on in the world right now - politicians calling for a 6pm curfew for all men is just insane. But Corey Taylor's half-formed musings really aren't helping anyone.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Corey Taylor Speaks

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:43 pm

Skippy wrote:I usually think so called "cancel culture" is just businesses trying to boost their bottom line - in the same week Dr Suess' books were taken out of print, the company that "cancelled" them posted record profits as people brought his books in protest. Piers Morgan walks off GMB because it will help him negotiate a new multi-million pound deal with the people making a new Fox News-style channel over here. Even the whole Gina Carrano thing came out as people were calling Disney out over there bad working conditions. Most of the time, so called "cancellations" are little more than distractions.


Companies who get involved with this stuff are definitely doing it for the money, or the PR ( therfore money) no doubt.

The reference to the KKK and Salem is linking the blind fervent nature of mobs. It is hyperbolic, yes, but its not an impertinent comparison. There is a feeling of religiosity and absolutelism behind the online mobs. I think that is what he is getting at. He's put it crudely, but he's not wrong.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:00 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Corey Taylor Speaks

Postby slayerslays » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:12 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:
Skippy wrote:I usually think so called "cancel culture" is just businesses trying to boost their bottom line - in the same week Dr Suess' books were taken out of print, the company that "cancelled" them posted record profits as people brought his books in protest. Piers Morgan walks off GMB because it will help him negotiate a new multi-million pound deal with the people making a new Fox News-style channel over here. Even the whole Gina Carrano thing came out as people were calling Disney out over there bad working conditions. Most of the time, so called "cancellations" are little more than distractions.


Companies who get involved with this stuff are definitely doing it for the money, or the PR ( therfore money) no doubt.

The reference to the KKK and Salem is linking the blind fervent nature of mobs. It is hyperbolic, yes, but its not an impertinent comparison. There is a feeling of religiosity and absolutelism behind the online mobs. I think that is what he is getting at. He's put it crudely, but he's not wrong.


I agree- yes -mass hysteria (that phrase is probably sexist in itself!) is real...Comeback Greta Thunberg - all is forgiven- getting fanatical about our actual physical environment is understandable

ribbons69
Denim Demon
Posts: 5173
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: The howling edge

Re: Corey Taylor Speaks

Postby ribbons69 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:58 am

Skippy wrote: half-formed musings really aren't helping anyone.

Isn't that almost everything written on the internet?
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,


we fall to rise