A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Danroush
Denim Demon

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby Danroush » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:13 pm

Womble wrote:I found the Occupy Protests fucking hilarious.

"By camping here, we show our solidarity against capitalism and that'll totally kill lobbying!"

Main purpose was to create a base to raise awareness of that situation (referring to our current financial system). Think of it as an alternative to the version of events peddled by the current governments and mainstream media
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Pazuzu213
Consort of the Beast

Postby Pazuzu213 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:20 pm

Last edited by Pazuzu213 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:23 pm

Pazuzu213 wrote:because the overwhelming majority of the people aren't fit to the decide what brand of toilet paper to buy.

I can corroborate this, yesterday one of my mates went out to buy bog roll and came back with kitchen roll by accident. It had a fucking elephant on the front. He's doing a biomedical degree ffs.
Last edited by V-Man on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Pazuzu213 wrote:
Danroush wrote:

"By camping here, we show our solidarity against capitalism and that'll totally kill lobbying!"

Main purpose was to create a base to raise awareness of that situation (referring to our current financial system). Think of it as an alternative to the version of events peddled by the current governments and mainstream media

Made up of fucking idiots who don't understand the issue and aren't doing anything proactive at all.

At the very least, if you want to "raise awareness" or "oppose the current financial system", then set up a proper council, made up of educated experts, who have regular meetings and hold regular speeches and public rallies.

The "occupy" movements are for a bunch of idiot hippy fucks and kids who want to try and stick it to the man, who have no goddamn clue what they're talking about. This whole "uprising of the people", "let the masses rule" notion doesn't work, because the overwhelming majority of the people aren't fit to the decide what brand of toilet paper to buy.

Throwing words like hippy around is pointless, most are educated graduates, there are regular meetings, however instead of claiming authority they just spread the knowledge they have of the matters.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Nah, I agree with Pazuzu. The people who i've known that do that kind of thing don't really know what they're talking about and are just jumping on the bandwagon. The people who I saw being interviewed on the news earlier didn't have anything profound to say either, they just seemed like morons.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:40 pm

The news have a good knack of finding the most clueless cretins to interview at these types of demonstrations.

Gags write themselves for when Have I Got News For You comes round.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm not completely against the protesters, nor am I completely against the bankers either.
However I feel the occupy movement has given their movement a bad name/image, and if anything has generated less general public sympathy with their cause.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 pm

siliconfury wrote:The news have a good knack of finding the most clueless cretins to interview at these types of demonstrations.

Gags write themselves for when Have I Got News For You comes round.

THIS SO MUCH. The more intelligent ones are usually more reserved and are actually there for good reasons rather than to go LOOK AT ME I'M ON THE NEWS. So when the news comes around the ones who know what they're talking about end up being overshadowed by the idiots turning up to try and get on TV

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Danroush wrote:

But can anyone explain to me what the protest have actually achieved...

Media coverage, yes....

A collopse of the international banking system...No (though the in fairness the bankers did a pretty good job of that themselves)

Anything else...????? strikes me as not the most useful thing to do for 4 months
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Increased tourism to St Paul´s, I guess.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:59 pm

siliconfury wrote:Increased tourism to St Paul´s, I guess.

But made it rather difficult for those that actually wanted to visit St Paul's....Was that the hidden agenda? :lol:

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Czech's Mate wrote:
Danroush wrote:

But can anyone explain to me what the protest have actually achieved...

Media coverage, yes....

A collopse of the international banking system...No (though the in fairness the bankers did a pretty good job of that themselves)

Anything else...????? strikes me as not the most useful thing to do for 4 months

Did they ever claim the occupy movement was trying to bring down the financial system just by existing? Not that I heard of, things like this take a lot of building up, and of course a spark, otherwise you just get things like that failed jasmine revolution in china during the arab spring, you need to build momentum before you do something anywhere near that big

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:10 pm

V-Man wrote:
Pazuzu213 wrote:because the overwhelming majority of the people aren't fit to the decide what brand of toilet paper to buy.

I can corroborate this, yesterday one of my mates went out to buy bog roll and came back with kitchen roll by accident. It had a fucking elephant on the front. He's doing a biomedical degree ffs.

Tell me about it! The amount of supposedly 'educated' people I've seen not even being able to make a cup of tea without supervision and struggle to work a fucking stapler is beyond ridiculous!

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:17 pm

Danroush wrote:Did they ever claim the occupy movement was trying to bring down the financial system just by existing? Not that I heard of, things like this take a lot of building up, and of course a spark, otherwise you just get things like that failed jasmine revolution in china during the arab spring, you need to build momentum before you do something anywhere near that big

I'm not sure that standing about outside a few tents is ever going to achieve very much where ever you are, and comparing the occupy protesters with the people involved in the Jasmine revolution or the Arab Spring is slightly disingenuous. I think that the expectation of being moved on by a few unarmed cops and a group of bailifs fades into insignificance compared to the tanks that were sent in in China and Syria...oh and I think that the issues in the middle East and China are slightly more important than complaining about bankers bonuses

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 pm

Basically, the people in tents were lazy cunts.