Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:26 am

i have now finished binary domain. it was a lot longer than i expected tbh. a lot better too, and one of the best stories in a game in recent memory.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:56 pm

SSX is pretty good. the deadly descents really can be a pain in the ass though, i've done the trees one, which i found quite easy, the wingsuit one, which was a bit of a pain, and the ice one, which was unbelievable. trying to beat friends scores/times in explore mode is fun too.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:06 pm

So I bought Saints Row 2 on sale on Steam

Haven't played the 1st one since 2008 or some shit.

I just rmemeber it being awesome. Plus I have a 360 controller, so s'all good.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Mass Effect 3 preload has begun. I don't expect to be seen for the first week post release.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:21 pm

the SR2 port is apparently bad, though i havent played it. however its much better than GTA ever was, and much better than SR3.

so as annoying as i find the idea of buying in game currency with MS points, in SSX the price is fairly reasonable and i have points left from christmas and at this point im earning the credits back within a few events anyway, so this just lets me buy things quicker. the shop system is a bit rubbish, you only get to choose 4 things at a time.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 pm

What do you need to buy in SSX?

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:55 pm

boards, outfits, equipment (wingsuit, ice axe etc). you get the standard stuff which is all pretty good, but sometimes an outfit will pop up that gives you extra rewinds or something, and you can get boards that are better for tricks or races, and better equipment.
for global events you also sometimes need to pay to get in, but the payout if you do well is more than worth it. and you can buy characters and tracks in explore rather than unlock them on world tour.

the global events are excellent though, everyone pays a small fee to get in, which adds up for the prize credits which are spread between performance brackets. its unlucky for those that dont do well, but they dont lose much. the people that do really well make an insane profit.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Wait wait, you said that is cost MS points though... So you have to pay for all this stuff?

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:10 pm

no you earn them through events, but you also have the option to buy some with MS points.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Well, ok. I see where this is going with EA though, I SEE!

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:15 pm

its fairly standard with EA now to squeeze in as many money grabbing features as possible. its not as bad as NFS undercover though, with that the only real option was to buy stuff with MS points cause you got so little in game money.

gelder
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby gelder » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Speaking of EA and SSX, got a weird message over live off a random I don't know saying:

"I just downloaded the SSX demo from EA SPORTS. Gaming press are calling it "One of the Most Anticipated Games of 2012." Think you can beat my fastest time or highest score? Download it now!"

I already have downloaded it though. Are they just sending random spam out now

FUCKING SUCK!!!!

:p

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:01 am

just got the number 1 spot in the world in a global trick event fuck yes

Looky
Warrior of Metal

Postby Looky » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:34 am

Got it today from Game so I gotz Eddie. Not touched it yet, I need to buy candles and fancy tissues. Plus F1 came from Lovefilm and it's pretty cool. Except I may have had the first race on a bit too low a difficulty; pretty sure Lotus aren't capable of winning a Grand Prix by 20 seconds.

Mike, can you still get cool stuff like on SSX3, like guitars and other silly accessories?

herzeleid wrote:Well, ok. I see where this is going with EA though, I SEE!

It sounds better than it is with Fifa's Ultimate Team.

"Build your team of superstars"
Cool, imagine having Messi and Rolando and Xavi and Carrick and Cavani. How do I get the players EA?"
"You purchase Gold packs. You can either spends hours and hours earning a pittance to afford them or you can buy them nice and quickly for £2"
I'll just play, probably won't take me too long to get someone good.

*Play for months, earn moneyies, buy pack*
Oh wow, 7 contract cards, a fitness card, a 1 game 10% bonus to a players heading card, some Polish Div 2 manager, a 8-1-1 formation card, some average 75 rated player from Zenit and Wayne Hennessey.

It's total conspiracy theory nonsense (maybe) but you hear talk of having more chance of actually finding decent players if you pay. Speaking from experience I've only bought about 15 gold packs over the last few editions of Fifa and the only decent player I've got through playing-to-earn was an 81 Nilmar a few years ago. Last year I spent a fiver on a few and I got a Shiny 88 Cavani. Hmmmmmmm.
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:55 am

not that i've seen, no. it has the over the top big air and ridiculous tricks, but not any sillys accessories. the multiplayer works very well. i didnt even notice before, but global events are, in effect, multiplayer. since you get other people racing alongside you, theres no lobbies so you go in and there will be other people on the track who are competing against you. it doesnt fit convential MP races though, you race against their time, rather than starting at the same time. and the autolog is great because i know when im beating someone or when someone beats my record.