The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
herzeleid
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby herzeleid » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Sandow is amazing, I hope he wins.

Also, watch the best segment ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHw3GYt7fTU

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Tyson Kidd is fantastic, and i'm really enjoying NXT, I like Ascension's gimmick too, we need to get back to the showy style of wrestling again when we had characters

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:40 pm

I was against that idea of Funkasauras finally clicked with me.

More characters.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Andrewhall28 wrote:Tyson Kidd is fantastic, and i'm really enjoying NXT, I like Ascension's gimmick too, we need to get back to the showy style of wrestling again when we had characters

i take it NXT is better than when it started? i might start watching it

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:50 am

cody rhodes and dolph ziggler qualified for the smackdown MITB match. this is really annoying, because ziggler deserves to win. he's just better than the rest of the guys in the match, but i can see cody winning it. dont get me wrong, cody has won me over since getting rid of the mask, but he doesnt need the briefcase. he's 100% guaranteed a world title at some stage in his career. the briefcase will elevate dolph to that status, which he's already on the brink of. he needs it to give him that little push into the main event. a couple of months with it and he'll be ready.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:14 pm

So i'm finally fully caught up on TNA. As usual it's a bit of a mixed bag.

On the one hand they've gotten much better at writing a TV show. Really now the only mid-card wrestlers without any kind of storyline are Hernandez and Crimson (i'm not including Garrett Bischoff because he's not a wrestler- at least the crowd at Slammiversary knew this even if the mongoloids in the Impact zone don't!) What I hope they do is give the TV title to Hernandez to build him up as a singles wrestler as I really think he has the chops, and then start Crimson in a storyline where he gets so desperate in matches he inadvertently gets disqualified every week. It'd be a real shame if they do nothing with Crimson. Ending the streak to put over Storm big time on his return was fine, but then Crimson getting squashed by Devon on Impact? That's just pissing away all the work they did building up Crimson over 18 months. So yeah, they need to find something for Crimson to do and have Devon drop the TV title to Hernandez. Devon's not the worst singles wrestler in the world but I can't stand seeing him wrestle the same match every week, especially when it invariably involves Robbie E and T. 2 absolute wastes of a paycheck and a waste of TV time that could be better spent on Matt Morgan or Kid Cash or indeed anyone good. And Robbie E in the BFG series? Really?

I'm still undecided by the Bully Ray vs. Joseph Park thing. At first I was hoping they'd reveal Joseph to actually be Abyss but no it looks they're trying to pass them off as 2 separate people both played by Chris Park. Maybe on next week's Impact without Abyss allowed to interfere Joseph might turn into his own kind of monster or something... Aside from that I can't really see where it's going. I'm enjoying the promos up til now, but the matches have just been dull and pointless.

As for the Knockouts i'm actually surprised how little i've been agitated by Brooke Hogan thus far, and i'm liking the idea of an impending Mickie James heel turn. On the other hand Miss Tessmacker is nowhere near good enough to hold the belt. That belly to back faceplant thing she does is fucking pathetic!

My biggest grief at the moment is the AJ is the father of the junkie's baby thing. I know you have to keep coming up with reasons for AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels to have matches but fuck me is that the best they could come up with? Aside from that those tag matches recently have been great. What TNA really needs though is an influx of new tag blood. I'm thinking bringing in Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin from ROH. Maybe even bring back Jerry Lynn and team him with RVD or something.

I'll hold judgement on the mysterious biker gang attacking Sting thing til it pans out a bit more. I'm fine with Sting still being on the roster but not in the main event again I hope. I think being fit enough to actually wrestle more than 15 minutes should be a requirement to ever be in a world title match. The high spot at the end of the Slammiversary main event was cool but I can't believe Sting was stupid enough to whisper to Roode "are you ok?" when he knew there'd be a camera on him. Reminds me of the same thing happening with Snitsky and Kane a few years ago.

I must say i'm really excited about Destination X and the BFG series. I know that Storm is clearly going to win and take the title from Roode then but Roode vs Aries this Sunday will be awesome. After Storm has a run of a few months with the title then I hope they really blow the doors open with who might be put in the world title picture. Bully Ray, Austin Aries and Matt Morgan are all worthy of the strap in my opinion. I might even stay up to watch it if i'm not working the next morning. And the whole trade in the X division title for a world title shot thing is going to be really interesting to see in years to come. If Sabin does come back from this second ACL reconstruction i'd like to see him win the x division title on his return and then have some sort of david and goliath clash at next year's destination x against someone like Bully Ray. Also, notwithstanding the mystery man in the X division title tournament on sunday I really hope Sanjay Dutt wins it.

In general I quite like this scripted reality thing TNA have going on now. With the gut check thing at first I was like "this is all a bit America's Top Model" but it is growing on me. One thing in particular stood out from about 6 weeks back- the bit that started the show off with Angle, Styles, Hardy and Bully Ray all in Hogan's office and he's showing them the standard script for an Impact show and saying it's not adequate for their current predicament. That sort of poking holes in the 4th wall thing is pretty cool and I hope they do more of it.

/rant

Now off to watch the last 2 episodes of Raw
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

strangeasangels
Denim Demon

Postby strangeasangels » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:42 pm

TNA has easily been putting on better quality shows than WWE for nearly 2 months now. Excluding the horrible AJ/Daniels angle of course.

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:39 am

A J, quite frankly the best thing to happen to WWE in years :lol:

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:24 am

i dont think id go quite that far, but yes she is great. wwe officials apparently think she's the next big thing, which could well be true. its just a shame she's involved with punk and bryan which, as great as the matches are, has gone on way too long and they've killed it for me. i hope they can find something good for her when its done.

i really hope austin aries wins tonight. he's ready for it, he's the best wrestler on the roster and easily rivals punk and bryan. better in ring performer than punk and better on the mic than bryan, id say he's the real best in the world right now. i think considering the new thing with cashing in the x division title every year for a world title shot, they should start it off with aries winning. i dont know about anybody else, but i dont want to see storm vs roode for the world title at BFG, i want AJ to win the series and aries to be the champ, and have those 2 main event BFG.

im glad storm lost. he hasnt impressed me lately. his in ring work is decent, his mic work is average and i dont see him as the huge star they tried to claim he was on thursday. taz tried to imply he was equal him to hardy in terms of big match experience. sorry but storm held the TNA WHT for about a week, hardy has held that title multiple times, is one of the most well known tag team wrestlers ever, had multiple world titles in WWE and a fair amount of mid card titles. he's easily the biggest star TNA have, so to compare storm to him is ridiculous.

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:34 am

CrappyMike wrote:i dont think id go quite that far, but yes she is great. wwe officials apparently think she's the next big thing, which could well be true. its just a shame she's involved with punk and bryan which, as great as the matches are, has gone on way too long and they've killed it for me. i hope they can find something good for her when its done.

I have to agree, WWE do this too much, they have the PPV match of the night, next thing you know every week they are in matches and kill of what made the PPV matches special in the first place :(

Tyson Kidd finally getting a push is nice though, and watching McGuillicutty on NXT, that guy is brilliant, Jim Ross is especially pushing for him

Flak 38
Powermetal Child
Location: the part of London that is the gateway of chav hell

Postby Flak 38 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Im sick of the whole gimmick ppv crap, and marketing it for families.. but i was watching all the good old attitude era stuff and the monday night war with WCW. Seems to be a bit too watered down for my tastes now..

And john cena is a tool.
S.O.B.E.R = Son Ofa B***h Everythings Real

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:34 pm

To be honest, John Cena works harder off screen than anyone else in the company, has universal respect from everyone he works with and works for, and deserves all the money and the plaudits he gets

I couldn't work as hard or do what he does

x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Postby x-tempus » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Cena is regarded as working uber hard, but the problem is, the WWE creative team, etc. want to build Sheamus as the next uber-face character, and until they feel he is ready, Cena is stuck in this crap role of being superhuman with a very limited moveset because the WWE can't risk him getting injured as he's their main star at the moment.

and the PPV gimmick could be good, TNA with Lockdown is great! but WWE Hell in a Cell is crap, could've been great like 10 years ago, but now the cell structure has been changed (due to the PG product), it's impossible to get on top of the cage which was all of the excitement, the chance of seeing Foley go flying off it again!
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:59 pm

To be fair Money In The Bank the past few years has been outstanding :|

x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Postby x-tempus » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:38 pm

with the RAW entrants, I'm struggling to see it being amazing this year .... :|
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS