movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:25 pm

Honeymoon.

As the name suggest, about a couple of honeymoon who go away to a secluded cabin. One of them is "You know nuthin jon snuuuw" Igrid if that's your bag. It should be. She's hot.

IMDB hated the opening where they acted lovey dovey for a while. It's almost like they needed to establish the relationship, and allow us to get emotionally connected to the couple.

One of them is found sleep walking in the woods, and shit begins to kick off. I don't wanna go into more of it, because it would ruin the journey you end up going. Keeps you guessing for a long while, and heartily examines the physiological impact the whole situation is having.

Genuinely suspenseful, fantastic cinematography, and a score that takes you on a journey, just go watch it.

8.5/10

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:52 am

Whiplash is brilliant.

cthulhu
Consort of the Beast

Postby cthulhu » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:49 am

Jinn 6/10 - I like a b-movie and that is what this certainly is even if it doesn't seem to be aware of this, some of the antagonists are genuinely creepy and it's well filmed...the acting is almost universally shit and the title is a little weird to look at as i'm far more used to seeing it spelt Djinn but i'm not going to take points away for that so my rating is based on good CGI, creepy primary antagonist...but also shit dialogue, shit acting and a wishy washy but yet unsurprising plot.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:06 pm

Grizzly

Originally called Red Machine, the title was then altered to Endangered before finally settling on Grizzly - the same title as the 1976 film on which it's loosely based.
For such a simple Jaws-in-a-forest Eco-Horror, something that would usually be seen by about twenty people on the Sy-Fy or Horror Channel, I was quite surprised at the quality of the cast. Billy Bob Thornton, Thomas (The Punisher, Deep Blue Sea) Jane, James (X-Men) Marsden, and a scarily unhealthy looking Scott Glenn (Silence of the Lambs) who plays the local Sheriff when he's trying to not look like he's going to keel over and die at any given moment.
Thornton plays a hunter, part Quint from Jaws and part Dr Loomis from Halloween, single-mindedly hunting the bear while spouting off about how perfect, nasty, and indestructible it is to anyone within earshot. Marsden plays the ex-con brother of local deputy Jane who go into the forest along with Marsden's ex-girlfriend to rescue Jane's deaf photographer wife but end up getting hunted by the 10ft tall slavering beast instead.

Like all Eco-Horror, the message is simple and delivered with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the ears - don't fuck with mother nature. In this case, it's illegal tree felling and slaughter of the local bear population which causes the hairy monster to start its rampage.
I've always found the biggest problem with killer bear films to be the beasts themselves. Apart from when they're showing their teeth, bears have a natural tendency to look cute rather than the flesh-ripping killing machines they're meant to be portraying. Indeed, when the opening credits were rolling and the name "Bart the Bear" appeared on the screen, I feared the worst. Bart? Yeah, he's not going to be scary at all is he. Well, with the help of some fast editing, clever camera angles, and a tiny bit of CGI to finish the job off (only noticeable during the scene featuring the inevitable - but thankfully brief - use of CGI blood), Bart the Bear cuts quite the imposing figure throughout. Even during the mauling scenes, which usually look like a stunt double playing with a big cuddly toy, Bart looks every inch the part.
Actually, it turns out that Bart (actually named Little Bart or Bart II) comes from a line of acting bears. His father, the original Bart, was the big furry one in The Great Outdoors, The Bear, Homeward Bound II, White Fang, The Edge, On Deadly Ground, and Legends of the Fall among others. And, just to complete the circle, Little Bart's grandmother played the rather-too-happy looking bear in the original Grizzly.

Miles better than that absolute nonsense of a film, "Bear", from 2010, Grizzly is definitely worth a watch if you like this sort of thing. Just make sure you watch the uncut version. The PG rated version has had the boobs, swearing, and gore removed
7/10

mcroper
Paster of Muppets

Postby mcroper » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Brave 7.5/10

Pretty good, needed more of a plot. The Book of Life will be watched later on tonight.

Smerphy
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Smerphy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:46 pm

The Music Never Stopped 8/10 JK Simmons was great in this, I recommend this to anyone who is a fan of his.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

mcroper
Paster of Muppets

Postby mcroper » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:54 pm

The Book of Life - 9/10

Really enjoyed the art, I'm a big fan of day of the dead stuff. Voice acting was excellent, some funny jokes too. Only reason it lost out on a 10/10 was because the songs weren't to my taste.

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:26 am

Smerphy wrote:The Music Never Stopped 8/10 JK Simmons was great in this, I recommend this to anyone who is a fan of his.

What's it like? I'll probably just watch it for Simmons :P

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:39 am

Wolfcop

****Spoilers****

It's the old, old story. Small town cop turns into a werewolf, shags a hottie, and takes down the bad guys.
Oops, sorry. It appears I've just told you pretty much everything that happens in Wolfcop. I know it's a low budget affair, but come on. Is that it? A few nice bits of gore aside, there's absolutely nothing new or interesting on offer here at all. Oh, there is a twist at the end, but you'll see that coming from 10 minutes in without even trying. The acting is bad, the script is bad, the camera work is passable, but the tits are lovely. There should have been more of them. Only worth seeing for the werewolf on barmaid scene.
4/10

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:10 am

Eversytime one of the McDonagh brothrrs makes a film it is heralded as the best Irish film ever made. I think Calvary may at last be their untouchable masterpiece. Funnier than The Guard, darker than In Bruge (times a thousand, at least.)
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Smerphy
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Smerphy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:54 pm

Potato-Jim wrote:
Smerphy wrote:The Music Never Stopped 8/10 JK Simmons was great in this, I recommend this to anyone who is a fan of his.

Heartwarming drama, plus it's based on a true story. The whole thing is centered around his character's relationship with his brain-damaged son, and how they fix their strained relationship by bonding through music. I'm probably making it sound a bit shit, but I don't want to give any of it away.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:18 pm

I watched the remake of Conan the Barbarian. I didn't think the lack of Arnie was going to be such a big deal. How wrong I was. No two snakes facing each other, no lamentation of the women, wouldn't recommend.

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:39 pm

Smerphy wrote:
Potato-Jim wrote:

Heartwarming drama, plus it's based on a true story. The whole thing is centered around his character's relationship with his brain-damaged son, and how they fix their strained relationship by bonding through music. I'm probably making it sound a bit shit, but I don't want to give any of it away.

Hmm, I'm a bit weird with father-son relationship films but that does sound really good. I'll give it a try!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:32 am

So it's official, new Aliens film by Neil Blomkompp (can't spell his last name). I think he is one of the best directors around at the moment, especially for his eye on visual and practical effects.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/4 ... ien-sequel

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:01 am

Luke_X wrote:Neil Blomkompp (can't spell his last name).

It's in the sodding link that you copied and pasted :lol:

But seriously, though, that's fucking awesome news. Here's hoping it's more District 9 than Elysium, however.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock