A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby Tet » Thu May 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Katesyl wrote:Sounds like pretty standard psychosis (or perhaps even something like Aspergers)

No. Asperger's Syndrome is merely a term to describe a set of behaviours for certain people that are at the less extreme end of the autism spectrum. Myself included. Common traits include an inability to recognise social clues, to read emotions in others, and sometimes physical clumsiness (fortunately, I've largely grown out of the latter). It doesn't generally include arguing with imaginary voices on the phone, hitting yourself on the head or having paranoia about computer hacking and the military.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu May 14, 2015 4:08 pm

I'm going to trust the mental health nurse on this one.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Thu May 14, 2015 4:21 pm

I was thinking the same thing there...

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu May 14, 2015 5:09 pm

I was going to ask if anyone's tried nicotine spray and if they found it helpful with quitting smoking but I find the story of the possible nutter more interesting

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Thu May 14, 2015 5:55 pm

houston4044 wrote:I was going to ask if anyone's tried nicotine spray and if they found it helpful with quitting smoking but I find the story of the possible nutter more interesting

It's awful. Really really unpleasant stuff.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Thu May 14, 2015 6:31 pm

Potato-Jim wrote:
houston4044 wrote:I was going to ask if anyone's tried nicotine spray and if they found it helpful with quitting smoking but I find the story of the possible nutter more interesting

It's awful. Really really unpleasant stuff.

Never tried it, but I've never sold a lot of it which I think tells you a but...
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu May 14, 2015 7:52 pm

I bought some earlier as I liked the idea of being able to take something as I need it rather than a patch where you have no control per se and e-cigarettes do nothing for me. So far it's alright but I have to use it every 30 minutes to an hour as the effects wear off quickly. There has to be an easier way of quitting :|

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Thu May 14, 2015 7:58 pm

Fighters never quit, quitters never win :P
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu May 14, 2015 8:03 pm

Just go cold turkey, but do it from running out the night before so you haven't got any that morning.

Just resist the urge to buy a packet. Sounds hard at first, just need to gear yourself up for it and have shit to do - and recognise proper "cravings" as being different from habitual fags.

When you can identify the difference between "I normally have a fag now" and "it's been ages since I had a fag, I'm gagging" you can start to manage going without a lot easier.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Katesyl
Paster of Muppets

Postby Katesyl » Thu May 14, 2015 9:53 pm

Tet wrote:
Katesyl wrote:Sounds like pretty standard psychosis (or perhaps even something like Aspergers)

No. Asperger's Syndrome is merely a term to describe a set of behaviours for certain people that are at the less extreme end of the autism spectrum. Myself included. Common traits include an inability to recognise social clues, to read emotions in others, and sometimes physical clumsiness (fortunately, I've largely grown out of the latter). It doesn't generally include arguing with imaginary voices on the phone, hitting yourself on the head or having paranoia about computer hacking and the military.

I was totally expecting that. :lol: (I love the pedantry on here - I'm usually too lazy to respond, but here we go.) I'm not claiming to be an expert on autism (hence the 'something like') and I am in no way extending it to every individual on the autism spectrum, but I've worked with a people who've had a medical diagnosis of Asperger's with symptoms that could be very easily confused for schizophrenia, and I've just done a piece of work on comorbidity/how the two can often get misdiagnosed. One guy was absolutely fixed on the idea that he was dying needed a new heart and was on the phone trying to ring the LGI every time we turned our backs along with other bizarre behaviour. He was, however, a champion chess player. Also, I was considering the very rigid, obsessional routine it sounds like he has in that sense. Sounds like he's probably got more than one issue going on there.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:40 pm

siliconfury wrote:Just go cold turkey, but do it from running out the night before so you haven't got any that morning.

Just resist the urge to buy a packet. Sounds hard at first, just need to gear yourself up for it and have shit to do - and recognise proper "cravings" as being different from habitual fags.

When you can identify the difference between "I normally have a fag now" and "it's been ages since I had a fag, I'm gagging" you can start to manage going without a lot easier.

It's going okay so far. I'm unfortunately not a habitual smoker which would of been easier as I could of just kept myself occupied when I thought I needed a cig. I just have a few sprays of this mist stuff when I crave a cig and it tides me over for awhile longer :D

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sun May 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Well, 'hipster' pants are a sexier fit than I thought. Ooh err, not used to this!

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sun May 17, 2015 2:31 pm

You mean skinny fit jeans?
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Sun May 17, 2015 5:24 pm

NeglectedField wrote:Well, 'hipster' pants are a sexier fit than I thought. Ooh err, not used to this!

You've seen the light! I swear by my hipster fit boxers. Extra support too :lol:
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sun May 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Um...yes, that is true :eyes:

I'd been wearing stupid billowing boxers for years, then got some 'jersey fit' boxers which have been fine, but these are more snug. Kinda takes me back to wearing pants as a kid, but cooler.