TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby florencethemachine » Tue May 19, 2015 7:27 pm

It appears that Sansa isn't the only one butthurt after recent events.

Overall, this season is far less enjoyable than season 4. Although I've not read the books I've heard that the source material parallel to this season is quite uneventful. I've also heard that they have started to really deviate from the books.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 am

Just finishing up with binge watching the Flash. It's so gooood.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed May 20, 2015 7:01 am

I wanted to like the flash, but I struggled to get invested in a character when his every problem can be solved by just running faster.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Wed May 20, 2015 7:05 am

That's just superheroes all over though surely?

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed May 20, 2015 7:41 am

I mean I guess. Probably didn't help that I bailed after 7 episodes or so. But up until then it was literally "Hey he's getting beaten by this guy". When you know he can run faster and solve the problem. But he only runs as fast as he needs to at the time to cause dramatic tension. But then yeah, I guess that's all superheros, because I'm trying to think of an example show I can point to where that isn't true and can't.

Maybe I just don't like superheroes.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed May 20, 2015 10:08 am

Flash is fun. It's very light hearted, fluffy television although it does inject a few mysteries and twists as the season progresses. As with any superhero there are villains that discover ways to circumnavigate his powers but, as also with any superhero, the good guy inevitably wins. A part of it's success is to the leads, they're all quite likeable and their relationships to each other are a good part of the appeal. I guess that sort of thing will also put others off, it's almost a teen soap at times. As much as I hate the phrase I'd probably call it my guilty pleasure. It's the sort of show you can half watch without missing anything important!

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Wed May 20, 2015 12:03 pm

Jobdone wrote:I wanted to like the flash, but I struggled to get invested in a character when his every problem can be solved by just running faster.

Gotta go fast

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Wed May 20, 2015 4:32 pm

Jobdone wrote:I mean I guess. Probably didn't help that I bailed after 7 episodes or so. But up until then it was literally "Hey he's getting beaten by this guy". When you know he can run faster and solve the problem. But he only runs as fast as he needs to at the time to cause dramatic tension. But then yeah, I guess that's all superheros, because I'm trying to think of an example show I can point to where that isn't true and can't.

Maybe I just don't like superheroes.

I like The Flash, but this is very true. At one point he can run fast enough to stop a tsunami, or travel back in time, and at others he can't outrun some robotic bees. Makes no real sense, but I guess that's part of the charm. Plus it has good characters (bar Iris who is just annoying).
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Wed May 20, 2015 4:46 pm

Well, everyone has good days and bad days. Today I can barely walk up my work stairs where as other days I'm running up them. I know it's a tv show though so I don't know if they'd put that much thought into it...

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed May 20, 2015 4:56 pm

To be fair, everything else about it was entertaining. The characters and the setting and the villains and that were all great.

But I could never get past the running faster thing because I'm a petty dick.

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Wed May 20, 2015 7:40 pm

Nah I understand. I mean, literally all problems in Days of Future Past could have been solved with Quicksilver, but...script.

The Flash's ending was good. A touch predictable but entertaining all the same. I'm getting a little tired of cliff-hanger endings though..

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed May 20, 2015 8:16 pm

All this superhero speed talk reminds me of an old joke....

Superman was feeling bored after a long break of crime fighting & wanted to go out & party so he called Batman to ask if he wanted to go to a club & pick up some girls.

Batman said Robin was ill & he had to look after him.

A little disappointed, Superman called Green Lantern to see if wanted to grab a couple of beers. Green Lantern told him he had a date with Catwoman.

As a last resort, Superman flew over to Wonder woman's apartment to see If she was free.

As he landed on her balcony, he saw Wonder Woman naked on the bed with her legs open.

Superman thought to himself "I'm faster than a speeding bullet, I could be in there, have sex & out again before she knew what was happening."

So Superman did his super thing in a split second & flies off happily.

Meanwhile on the bed, Wonder woman said "Did you hear anything?"

"NO"! said the Invisible Man, "But my ass hurts like hell!"
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu May 21, 2015 9:00 am

I'm really struggling to keep my interest alive for Game of Thrones now.
The Arya story is sending me to sleep, the sweary old lady routine is now older than Diana Rigg, and Danaerys spent four episodes saying no to fighting pits only to say yes to fighting pits. Brann doesn't even exist any more (but I don't actually mind that tbh), and Jerome, Incest Boy, Stumpy and Sir Friendzone have walked over so many hills and fields that a load of hobbits just asked them to hurry up and get out of the fucking way.
The only story of any interest to me at the moment is Jon Snow, but even that's just been the fantasy equivalent of "there's trouble at t'mill" for half a series. Plus every time the story goes to him, I know I'm going to have to put up with Neckbeard and Mopey Cow as well.
So far, the star of the series by a country mile has been Melisandre's tits.

I know some shows like to test their audiences to keep a loyal fanbase, and for four years I've scoffed at people who have said it's slow. However, in the space of six episodes this series has turned me from wanting to immediately watch the show the moment it arrives on the internet to "Oh well, I suppose I'd better watch it then. I've got nothing else recorded".
I'm not even bothered about spoilers any more. In fact, I'm almost inviting them now, just to give me some reason to carry on.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu May 21, 2015 9:18 am

Darkweasel wrote:So far, the star of the series by a country mile has been Melisandre's tits.

I feel like these were underappreciated. I expected those things to be everywhere after that episode aired. They were goddamn perfect.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Thu May 21, 2015 9:22 am

Daenerys only agrees to reopen the pits and marry that family head to stop the citizens rebelling and killing all unsullied, which she's apparently going to use to conquer Westeros at some point.
But aye, that scene shall be lovely. I'm hoping they include another that should probably have been in the last series too.