movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:37 am

SUSPIRIA
(2018)

Ever since around 1987 when I first saw Phenomena (or Creepers as it was known back then in its heavily abridged format) - a film which featured a chimpanzee with a straight razor, and Jennifer Connelly talking to insects – I've been a fan of Italian director Dario Argento. With films like Deep Red, Inferno, and Tenebrae, his use of lighting and camera really is a sight to behold. Acting ability and coherent storytelling are virtually irrelevant to Argento as his movies are all about atmosphere. And none more so than in 1977's Suspiria – the film many see as his masterpiece.

A simple enough story about an American girl who discovers her Berlin ballet school is run by witches, Suspiria wasn't about plot or characters, it was about creating memorable death scenes and an overwhelming sense of dread, its lurid green, blue and red lighting, and overwhelming music score performed by Goblin adding to the general sense of unease and claustrophobia.

In complete contrast to the original, the 2018 remake features muted, subdued colours, long drawn out silences, and an understated music score by Thom Yorke of Radiohead. Shots of fields, pale stone walls and grey skies replace the gaudy colours of the original, and a few pullbacks, crane shots, and 1970s style zooms aside, there's little in the way of creative camera work.

Although it does feature a more cohesive storyline this time, its two and a half hour running time could have definitely do with some trimming. The acting varies from the intense Tilda (Doctor Strange) Swinton to the decent Dakota (Fifty Shades) Johnson, and an almost incoherent Chloe Grace Moretz (Kick-Ass), to a supporting cast who appear to be just out of an actual dance school rather than acting classes. In fact, as much time is spent on dance practice and rehearsals as the witches themselves.

While at no point does the remake outdo the original, it's certainly no catastrophe either, holding its own as an art-house piece very well, and rather ironically, only losing itself during the completely surreal and fucked up satanic dance ritual towards the end, when all of a sudden the director decides Dario knew best after all and bathes the screen in vivid blues and reds.

The polar opposite of the original for the most part, Suspiria 2018 is a slow moving, methodically shot film with good performances and a couple of excellent death scenes, but a little too much fat around the edges. Nowhere near as memorable, but still a unique and occasionally baffling experience.

7.5/10

varangian
Warrior of Metal

Postby varangian » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:28 pm

As a huge aficionado of Dario Argento and Giallo cinema I have always asked with this re-make/re-interpretation, why?
I hear they are re-making Massimo Dallamno`s "What have you done to Solange" which in today`s climate I really cant see given Fabio Testi`s school teacher character having an affair with a pupil, basically the hero is a pedophile!

Giallo and the majority of Italian cinema was a product of time and circumstance, a great alternative for employment for many rather than churning out films in America which today is more or less the only option. The Horror/Spaghetti western/Giallo/Polizio/Spy films/Peplums really are worth a recall for anyone not wholly familiar, you get that whole Latin European rather than Hollywood take on filmaking that makes it so original.

I dont see any directors from Hollywood who could re-do Tenebrae, Profondo Rosso, The Bird with the crystal plumage and hopefully will never happen

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:42 pm

HEAVY TRIP
(2018)

After twelve years of practicing in a dingy basement, a Finnish heavy metal band decide to record their first original song. After writing their magnum opus, they hand the demo tape to a Norwegian festival promoter who promises to give it a listen. Having not heard anything for a while, the band's singer - not wanting to dishearten his friends - tells them they were booked and the band immediately become celebrities in their little town.

Of course, their path to metal immortality is strewn with obstacles, the most problematic of which happens to be their singer's stage-fright which manifests itself in the form of projectile vomit every time he sets foot on stage. Falling in love with the girl who works at the local flower shop, having a run-in with a local lothario, and being regularly abused by the small town chavs, the singer pulls himself together and the band set out to change the face of Finnish heavy metal forever.

Being a metal fan (obvs), I actually found Heavy Trip to be a lot more enjoyable than I expected. There have been a few attempts at heavy metal comedy, but none have come close to Spinal Tap or Bad News. Mainly because films about heavy metal usually only tend to appeal to fans of heavy metal. While Heavy Trip definitely requires a certain level appreciation towards the genre (if you don't like metal, the songs are going to be nothing but horrible noise in your ears) no real background knowledge is required. There are plenty of in-jokes to keep the trve and kvlt types happy, but nothing that gets in the way of the story. Each character is well defined, and anyone who has been in a band will find it easy to identify with one of the members. I certainly did anyway.

Considering the music being blasted out by the band is extremely heavy Death Metal (sorry... Symphonic Post-Apocalyptic Reindeer-Grinding Christ-Abusing Extreme War Pagan Fennoscandic Metal), the film itself is relatively easy going, good-natured and sympathetic, only going for the real laughs during the last half an hour when things go a bit more bonkers. That said, an aggressive mental patient, two litres of vomit, and a large bucket of reindeer blood being emptied over someone is hardly gentle Rom-Com territory.

Guaranteed to not appeal to everyone (general public in not flocking to see a subtitled Finnish film about an obscure heavy metal band shocker), Heavy Trip is just stupidly entertaining, noisy fun.
All hail Impaled Rektum.
8/10
Last edited by Darkweasel on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Darkweasel wrote:[There have been a few attempts at heavy metal comedy, but none have come close to Spinal Tap or Bad News.
8/10

Lords Of Chaos was pretty fun, more of a black comedy though.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Haven't seen that yet. I know someone who saw it at Sundance last year though, and he liked it.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:40 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Haven't seen that yet. I know someone who saw it at Sundance last year though, and he liked it.

It's pretty ace, they nicely don't spend time on the semantics of what actually happened in the black metal scene and just make a really fun and gorey movie.

Deathgasm is also a metal comedy done right.