Strategy Board Games

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Strategy Board Games

Postby Ghost » Fri May 15, 2020 5:55 pm

Anyone into strategy board games? My wife and I have played them for years but always put off by some prices. Considering I'm not going out anywhere though I've bought some of the more expensive ones recently. I've bought:

Memoir 44
Brass Birmingham
Scythe
7 wonders duel
Spirit Island
I see the bad moon arising.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: Strategy Board Games

Postby gavdann » Sun May 17, 2020 6:49 pm

Ghost wrote:Anyone into strategy board games? My wife and I have played them for years but always put off by some prices. Considering I'm not going out anywhere though I've bought some of the more expensive ones recently. I've bought:

Memoir 44
Brass Birmingham
Scythe
7 wonders duel
Spirit Island

I'd love to but neither my wife or kids are interested in any I've suggested.

I might take a punt on a solo one.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun May 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Enjoy 7 Wonders. Friends buy loads if them - Carcasone, Camel.Up, Ticket To Ride - all good fun
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun May 17, 2020 9:49 pm

gavdann wrote:
Ghost wrote:Anyone into strategy board games? My wife and I have played them for years but always put off by some prices. Considering I'm not going out anywhere though I've bought some of the more expensive ones recently. I've bought:

Memoir 44
Brass Birmingham
Scythe
7 wonders duel
Spirit Island

I'd love to but neither my wife or kids are interested in any I've suggested.

I might take a punt on a solo one.

Problem with playing solo is you might as well just play the online version unless you're actively trying to avoid looking at a screen for a change. Most of the co-op games work as solo but you do miss out on the social chat these games create. Before lockdown I used to regularly play co-op games with my wife and two friends. So that's three women I know that play board games, mental :D
Anyway as solo you could play the aptly named Pandemic. I think Zombiecide is the best Co-op game I've played so far but costs about 60 quid. Listening to some metal and playing Pandemic might be good though. Basically just solving a complicated puzzle.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 pm

someone else wrote:Enjoy 7 Wonders. Friends buy loads if them - Carcasone, Camel.Up, Ticket To Ride - all good fun

Yeah love ticket to ride. Nice easy one but fun. Even my mum plays that with us.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm

My parents are obsessed with Catan, always play it with them when I go to visit. I got them the Seafarers expansion pack a while ago, which makes the games much better.

They also recently got Ticket To Ride which I've played with them and the grandkids, and it seems great fun.

My dad is currently obsessing about this game called Gloomhaven that he wants to buy, you can play it in 1 player, but it costs £180 for the game, so rather him than me.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon May 18, 2020 3:47 pm

bloodfiend wrote:My parents are obsessed with Catan, always play it with them when I go to visit. I got them the Seafarers expansion pack a while ago, which makes the games much better.

They also recently got Ticket To Ride which I've played with them and the grandkids, and it seems great fun.

My dad is currently obsessing about this game called Gloomhaven that he wants to buy, you can play it in 1 player, but it costs £180 for the game, so rather him than me.

Yeah Ticket to ride is great.

Ha ha Gloomhaven has been classed as the best board game ever since release 3 years ago. Too pricey for me. The company Zatu actually have it on sale for £120.