movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
jello
Leather Rebel

Re: movies

Postby jello » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:56 am

we showed Gummo at our film club last night.

Got an excellent response from our twisted clientelle

:lol: :lol:

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:45 am

jello wrote:we showed Gummo at our film club last night.

The only thing I know about that one is that it has a black metal soundtrack. What's it about?

jello
Leather Rebel

Postby jello » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:04 pm

Big D wrote:
jello wrote:we showed Gummo at our film club last night.

The only thing I know about that one is that it has a black metal soundtrack. What's it about?

kind of difficult to eplain the plot or lack of it

i lifted this from imdb

Constructing this film through random scenes, director Harmony Korine abruptly jettisoned any sort of narrative plot, so here we go: Solomon and Tummler are two bored teenage boys who live in Xenia, Ohio. A few years ago, a tornado swept through it, destroying more than half the town and killing the same amount, including Solomon's father. The film, from there, chronicles the anti-social adventures these two boys have. These include sniffing glue, killing cats, having sex, riding dirtbikes, listening to black metal, and meeting a cavalcade of quirky, bizarre, and scary people. These include a man who pimps his mentally ill wife to our anti-heroes, three sisters who play with their cat and practice becoming strippers, a black midget fending off the sexual advances of a troubled man (played by the director Harmony Korine), a 12-year-old gay transvestite who is also a cat killer, Solomon's mother who seems to be the only glimpse of sanity, two foul-mouthed six-year olds, and most importantly, a nymphlike skateboarder who walks around town wearing pink rabbit ears.

It's not for the faint hearted

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:06 pm

Bought Apocalypto, Pathfinder and Blade Runner directors cut yesterday, need to lock myself away and watch all of them this week

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:24 pm

andeh wrote:Bought Apocalypto, Pathfinder and Blade Runner directors cut yesterday, need to lock myself away and watch all of them this week

And btw Pathfinder is fucking terrible

Xzar
Denim Demon

Postby Xzar » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:04 pm

You should have asked for a recommendation, and I'd have told you to steer well clear. Pathfinder is, inexplicably, one of the worst films I've ever seen.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:04 am

Xzar wrote:You should have asked for a recommendation, and I'd have told you to steer well clear. Pathfinder is, inexplicably, one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Agreed! It had the potential to be so much more...but a pointless plot, bad acting and shit CGI made it practically unwatchable.

Jappy
Lowly Peon

Postby Jappy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:43 pm

Pathfinder was a pretty damned awful film, nothing like I had hoped. Watched it on Blu ray aswell.

Went to see there will be blood the other week, was a fantastic film. If you are into that kind of film of course. Daniel Day Lewis's performance is incredible.

Next on my list to order is the 6 disc japanese release of Grindhouse, coming out later this month.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:58 pm

Xzar wrote:You should have asked for a recommendation, and I'd have told you to steer well clear. Pathfinder is, inexplicably, one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Haha I remember there was some griping about it on this forum I believe, and I heard it got quite the panning in the press, but I thought "Hell, it has vikings and gore" beliving it to be a bit of a daft comic book like action fest. Fuck knows how they managed to get a film like that wrong, but they somehow managed it. At least it was 3 for £20 quid in HMV so still have Apocalypto and Blade Runner to look forward to, might even see if I can try and blag them to swap it, say the disc is fucked....

Nick91
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Nick91 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:41 pm

I also fell into the trap of Pathfinder. Such an awful movie!
Apocalypto on the other hand was one of the best films I have ever seen.
I watched The Green Mile the other day as well, as it was on TV, and I'm very glad I did.
Amazing script, fantastic story, brilliant acting and very hard hitting.
Yet another classic that I had gone so long without seeing.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:45 pm

Paprika.
An anime movie about a device for exploring dreams. Naturally things go pear-shaped.
Very pretty to look at and less "WTF? My head hurts!" than that particular director's other stuff.

Rickles_the_Mighty
Denim Demon

Postby Rickles_the_Mighty » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:20 pm

Saw Rambo. Hell yes. I hope this influences a rebirth of 80's style action movies.
Image Laz0r Image
Strictly business at the front, international party at the back.

STORMWARRIOR for BOA '13!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Gummo

Nick91 wrote:I also fell into the trap of Pathfinder. Such an awful movie!
I watched The Green Mile the other day as well, as it was on TV, and I'm very glad I did

Gummo is just mental. A kid going around killing cats and a chap who pimps out his retarded wife. Very strange indeed.
Pathfinder was so bad it made me want to eat my own face.
The Green Mile is superb. Frank Darabont should direct all Stephen King stories. TGM, Shawshank and The Mist are all superb.

I watched A History of Violence the other day. David Cronenberg seems to have moved away from the "How can I physically transform a man into something/somebody else"? type scenario into "How can I psychologically transform a man into something/somebody else"? territory.
Not a bad film, just a little slow moving. Then again, most of his films seem to happily plod along at their own pace.
Still, it was nice and violent in parts and it's made me want to watch Eastern Promises. I was ready to give up on the Canadian nutcase after the bloody awful eXistenz.

Jonoleth
Denim Demon

Postby Jonoleth » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:38 pm

Eastern Promises is even better than History Of Violence, much stronger writing IMO. Quality films the both.

I watched Gummo yesterday after hearing mention of it here, thought it was tosh tbh, call it what you will but I can't see it as anything other than worthless trash.

jello
Leather Rebel

Postby jello » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Jonoleth wrote:Eastern Promises is even better than History Of Violence, much stronger writing IMO. Quality films the both.

I watched Gummo yesterday after hearing mention of it here, thought it was tosh tbh, call it what you will but I can't see it as anything other than worthless trash.

horses for courses i guess, it's one of my favorite films has me in stitches every time i see it.