movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:28 pm

Just watched Eastern Promises. Damn good film. I knew nothing about it (apart from a very rough idea of the story outline) beforehand, deliberately keeping away from reviews etc. so nothing was ruined for me.
I thought A History of Violence was pretty good. This was even better.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:32 pm

Spent all yesterday watching the Die Hard quadrilogy. A day very well spent I think

Xzar
Denim Demon

Postby Xzar » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:08 pm

andeh wrote:Spent all yesterday watching the Die Hard quadrilogy. A day very well spent I think

Noooo! Don't use that word! It's a tetrology!

Pulverizer
Consort of the Beast

Postby Pulverizer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:14 pm

Xzar wrote:
andeh wrote:Spent all yesterday watching the Die Hard quadrilogy. A day very well spent I think

Noooo! Don't use that word! It's a tetrology!

Quadrilogy was what it was released under. Tetralogy would be Greek anyway, and we're more Latin overall. Despite the use of 'trilogy'.

Tetralogy does sound cool though.
Borknagar, Opeth, Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment and Rush for '09, ya bastards.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:28 pm

I've never ever heard the word tetrology, ya learn sumut new everyday. And it does indeed say quadrilogy on the box I have

Xzar
Denim Demon

Postby Xzar » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:09 pm

Quadrilogy isn't a real word.

It's taken one root for 4 - quad, and applied it to the second half of a word for three 'tri', and stuck '-logy' on the end. Hence it's like saying a Foureesome. It's silly and makes no sense. Tetralogy is the correct word, in sequence of Duology, Trilogy, Tetralogy. These are recognised terms for collections of artistic works. I don't know where this 'Quadrilogy' term came from, but it's nonsense. Latin numbers go; unus, duo, tres, quattor,, et al. Greek ones go; una, duo, tria, tetra. Duology and Trilogy came from the Greek and it's literary and theatrical legacy. 'Quadrilogy' is just something that really riles me, annoys me everytime I look at my Alien boxset.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:18 am

Enough of this Tritetraquadridualogical nonsense.
Go and watch El Orfanato (The Orphanage). A fantastic spanish ghost story produced by Guillermo Del Toro.
Scary as fook and just as tragic. Marvellous film.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:03 pm

Xzar wrote:Quadrilogy isn't a real word.

It's taken one root for 4 - quad, and applied it to the second half of a word for three 'tri', and stuck '-logy' on the end. Hence it's like saying a Foureesome. It's silly and makes no sense. Tetralogy is the correct word, in sequence of Duology, Trilogy, Tetralogy. These are recognised terms for collections of artistic works. I don't know where this 'Quadrilogy' term came from, but it's nonsense. Latin numbers go; unus, duo, tres, quattor,, et al. Greek ones go; una, duo, tria, tetra. Duology and Trilogy came from the Greek and it's literary and theatrical legacy. 'Quadrilogy' is just something that really riles me, annoys me everytime I look at my Alien boxset.

I'm sticking to quadrilogy

ele_is_crazy
Consort of the Beast

Postby ele_is_crazy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:13 pm

Recently watched Sweeney Todd which I thought was quite good. And Aeon Flux which was absolutely awful, but watched it with a rifftrax so that lightened it up somewhat. And Paprika which was very good, more colourful and less depressing than Perfect Blue.
BOA 2015 wish list:
Blind Guardian, Edguy, Wintersun, Fleshgod Apocalypse and Manowar

Xzar
Denim Demon

Postby Xzar » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:18 am

I wasn't trying to be pedantic with the quadrilogy thing - it just happens to be a pet hate of mine. A serious pathological pet hate.

I just watched The Proposition which I thought was okay, but one of my mates bigged it up a bit too much so I was slightly disappointed.

And I remember seeing that film Perfect Blue many years ago - didn't like at all :-\

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:15 am

Quadrilogy is a bit of a clunky word. I suppose there's a perfectly valid reason why Quartet isn't appropriate?

Perfect Blue is a film I rate quite highly. It gets a bit uncomfortable in a couple of places and the story needs a bit of effort to keep up with but it's till one of my favourites.

Pulverizer
Consort of the Beast

Postby Pulverizer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:44 am

Xzar wrote:I wasn't trying to be pedantic with the quadrilogy thing - it just happens to be a pet hate of mine. A serious pathological pet hate.

If I ever release a box set of four, I'll call it a Tetrology.
Borknagar, Opeth, Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment and Rush for '09, ya bastards.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:50 pm

I actually looked up Quadrilogy last night out of boredom in the font of all knowledge that is Wikipedia, and was immediately redirected to Tetrology. Legacy is another word for it, sounds better than quadrilogy as well.

Anyway, I saw Total Recall the other day, bloody daft but it was a good larf

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:51 pm

andeh wrote:Anyway, I saw Total Recall the other day, bloody daft but it was a good larf

MY NAME IS NOT QUUUUUAAAAAAAIIIIIIIID!

Classic film, even if it is as cheesy as fuck.

I saw "Diary of the Dead" last night. It was pretty good.
It's not as good as "Night of the living dead" or "Dawn..." but I preferred it to "Day..." and "Land...".

My favourite Zombie movies are still "Braindead" and the insane Japanese movie "Wild Zero".

Be Kind Rewind is well worth a look, although those who can't stand Jack Black should avoid it.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:09 pm

andeh wrote:Anyway, I saw Total Recall the other day, bloody daft but it was a good larf