Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Twaddlefish » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:45 pm

NightEyes wrote:
2fukkinmetal wrote:Help!! I'm addicted to Fallout 3. I haven't spent this much time playing a computer game since i was 15 or something!!!

It's a great looking game as I watch my mate play the opening, in Vault 101. I love the colour system as everything is dark, dingy and slightly rusty look. The Vats systems is amazing, as you can target different parts of your enemy's body and they actually show the effects of being, say shot in the hand.

Stepping out of Vault 101 (with the Oblivion option to edit your whole character) into the World of Fallout 3 is breath taking. What a huge change and the grapics look top notch without suffering from huge load in times.

I will be get this game for my PC and hopefully Bethesda Softworks might release a mod package as they did for TES III & IV.

Did either of you play the first two? It's a good game, but it's definitely missing the Black Isle touch that made Fallout special.

Bear in mind, before BI went down, this was supposed to be Fallout3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuDKrY7eW0

And no, it would've been better than Oblivion with guns.
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.

Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:46 pm

Just bought Smackdown Vs Raw 2009 on PS3, looks alot better than last years effort, which was a massive dissapointment

Leleanor
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Leleanor » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:54 pm

I've never really got the point of video games... I used to like Sims, but I don't get all these killing ones. My boyfriend gets so excited about them and I don't quite get it. He was playing one recently that looked interesting though, I can't remeber what it was called though, but it bore much resembelnce to D&D.
xxx

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Leleanor wrote:I've never really got the point of video games... I used to like Sims, but I don't get all these killing ones. My boyfriend gets so excited about them and I don't quite get it. He was playing one recently that looked interesting though, I can't remeber what it was called though, but it bore much resembelnce to D&D.
xxx

There isn't always a point, it's just recreation. Much like reading a fictitious story. =P

I've been playing through MySims Kingdom. Gotta say that I like the storyline idea, but I kninda miss the creative freedom of the first one.

Also still playing HM:Island, halfway through Fall, year one. Got Natalie up to green heart level, and I also have a chicken that lays eggs that are bigger than itself. :D
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Smackdown Vs Raw 09

Is actually fun and is a lot faster than last years game, I will be keeping this one :yes:

Rob Bannister
Festival Compere

Postby Rob Bannister » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Friend of a friend has an online store

http://www.letsplayuk.com

I don't play games but said I would put it up on a few forums.

Are the prices any good?
The mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the earth!

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:05 pm

Just exchaged the God awful Golden Axe beat rider, for farcry 2, it took some pursuading and bare faced lying to get it exchanged in Tesco though, I invented a son and a wife :lol:

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:43 pm

impervious wrote:Friend of a friend has an online store

http://www.letsplayuk.com

I don't play games but said I would put it up on a few forums.

Are the prices any good?

The prices aren't too bad, but the website itself is awful. What's with the unoptimised images, huge background image, and random gifs? Also "Add to cart" opens a new tab leading to an external website? :lol: And the games themselves are mostly throwaway bargain-bin crap anyway.

Giving C&C:RA3 another chance. Really want to play the Empire missions.
~ Adam Jenson

Jakkake
Leather Rebel

Postby Jakkake » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:36 am

Still on the cod5 beta....Cannot fucking wait for the official release.

Although i embarrassingly enjoy mirrors edge's demo, a lot...like, more than i should considering i hate anything with bright colours and cartoons in a computer game by default

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Was up until 0400 this morning playing Farcry 2 on the PS3, graphically amazing, a bit confusing but the gameplay is nuts, and trust me the learning curve is like everest, but the payoff is one of the most immersive games i've ever played,

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:20 pm

Recently been playing Final Fantasy 10, really want to get 7 and 9 cause heard they're the best two but besides ebay I cant find any ps1 games anywhere.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:17 am

jamestomo wrote:Recently been playing Final Fantasy 10, really want to get 7 and 9 cause heard they're the best two but besides ebay I cant find any ps1 games anywhere.

10 is the best imo. ;D

9 is pretty good, but 7 is just overrated. The only reason it's worth playing is for Sephiroth, all the other characters are completely unlikeable, and the storyline isn't anything special. Anyway, have you tried looking for roms? emuparadise.org has FF4 to 9 available for PSX.
~ Adam Jenson

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:57 pm

WorMzy wrote:
jamestomo wrote:Recently been playing Final Fantasy 10, really want to get 7 and 9 cause heard they're the best two but besides ebay I cant find any ps1 games anywhere.

10 is the best imo. ;D

9 is pretty good, but 7 is just overrated. The only reason it's worth playing is for Sephiroth, all the other characters are completely unlikeable, and the storyline isn't anything special. Anyway, have you tried looking for roms? emuparadise.org has FF4 to 9 available for PSX.

10 is nothing compared to 7 or 9, the battle system insnt very good, the characters are not likeable, tidus is the worst protagonist in any final fantasy game, there are no memorable set pieces, the story starts of weak and just gets worse, the soundtrack is probably the worst thing Nobuo Uematsu has done and the sphere grid is a pain in the arse. You can tell that Hironobu Sakaguchi had nothing to do with it and im not going to get started on why you should play final fantasy 7 and 9 but you should they are two of my 5 favorite rpgs the other three being panzer dragoon saga, pokemon and star ocean 3
By this axe I rule

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:31 pm

gumpy87 wrote:10 is nothing compared to 7 or 9, the battle system insnt very good, the characters are not likeable, tidus is the worst protagonist in any final fantasy game, there are no memorable set pieces, the story starts of weak and just gets worse, the soundtrack is probably the worst thing Nobuo Uematsu has done and the sphere grid is a pain in the arse. You can tell that Hironobu Sakaguchi had nothing to do with it and im not going to get started on why you should play final fantasy 7 and 9 but you should they are two of my 5 favorite rpgs the other three being panzer dragoon saga, pokemon and star ocean 3

I'd love to know what makes Tidus such a bad protagonist; I mean, sure he's not a whiny little emo bastard with spiky hair and a 'History', like Cloud, and he's not a smart mouthed womanising monkey-thief, like Zidane, but he's not half bad as protagonists go. He's got a mission: to get back to his own Zanarkand/find out the truth about his father; he's got a past: He was bullied by his father, had his self-esteem shattered time and time again, but still managed to become the best Blitz Ball player in his time (and in the present too, if you play the superb mini-game); he got thrown into a strange futuristic world where he was first told that his home city was destroyed over 1000 years ago, then got told that he's nothing more than a dream, then got told that his father is a giant monster that goes around killing everyone. If anyone has reason to be angsty, it's him.

The story is great, I have no idea how you can prefer 7 or 9 over 10's story. Just when it might start getting boring, they chuck Seymour into the works and fuck everything over; so instead of being the group that everyone loves and respects, you're suddenly public enemy number one and everyone wants to tear you a new arsehole. Before long you find out that the entire religion/government is corrupt, and you've been fighting on the wrong side to begin with; not only that, but you've been fighting for your lives for the sole purpose of sacrificing yourself later on anyway. So you say bollocks to that, smash your way through Yevons forces, kill Seymour another couple of times (because That. Fucker. Won't. Stay. Dead.), challenge the final boss, and turn the entire religion on its head by destroying the god itself.

The soundtrack was pretty lack-lustre, I'll grant you that. However, Suteki Da Ne is a gem, and X-2's sound track made up for X's.

The Sphere grid was great. It allowed for a lot more freedom with your characters. It appears daunting to begin with, but once you know what you're doing it's a piece of cake. Want to be a black mage? Follow this route. Want to be a thief? Follow this route. Want to be a white mage warrior? No problem! Really can't see why people hate it tbh.

This was a long reply..

Er.. currently playing Dwarf Fortress.
~ Adam Jenson

Luke-
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Luke- » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:49 pm

VIII and IX are the best.
X is good and so is VII. I think they both have great stories. X's is very moving and VII's is nice and dark. And James, you should just buy from ebay :P... or Amazon perhaps?
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."