The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
gumpy87
Denim Demon

Re: The Book thread

Postby gumpy87 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:39 pm

i have just finished the lies of locke lamora. Wow you should all go and read it now if you like fantasy (even if you dont you should still read it)
By this axe I rule

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:36 pm

onona wrote:I'm afraid to say I never got further than Children of Dune. I consider the first book in the series to be one of the most awesomely epic sci-fi novels ever, but found the following two books godawfully boring, for the most part.

I mostly agree with this. I found Messiah to be a big letdown. Children, God Emperor and Heretics were OK but nothing special, and Chapterhouse was horrendously bad. I'm happy I've read them, but in hindsight, I wouldn't have been missing anything had I just stopped with the first one, which is simply awe inspiring, and one of my favourite books of all time.

What am I reading now? I've just finished Jack Vance's Lyonesse and Tommy Lee's autobiography, Tommyland, and I've just started Mercedes Lackey's Four and twenty blackbirds.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Grimslath
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Grimslath » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Still on 'The Dragonbone Chair', the first book in the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn saga by Tad Williams... but i'm being distracted by games and my recently rediscovered joy of anime... :eyes:
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult for BOA 2012!

Smee
Leather Rebel

Postby Smee » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Just bought 3 new books from Tess Gerritsen. That ought to keep me busy for at least a week.
"Women have feelings. Without them, rape would be useless."

http://www.facebook.com/smeez0rz
http://www.last.fm/user/Smeez0rz

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:16 pm

Just picked up Peter Haining - The Monster Trap and other Stories.

One of the books that got me into Forteana and other Weird Shit and just fancied reading it again.

Fibbly
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Fibbly » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:18 pm

I am breaking away from books about disease and have bought Lolita, The Bell Jar and Jane Eyre.

But only because all my medical books are in the cellar until we get shelves up.
If knowledge is a lactating mother- then I'm a very thirsty baby...

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:56 pm

i_am_a_viking wrote:I'm on the 3rd Twilight book now. It is actually as good as everyone makes out :yes:

Best one of the four. And I wasn't massive on any of them.

Time Traveller's Wife - have been told to give it a whirl so am doing :)
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Stuart Hill - The Cry of the Icemark

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:40 pm

Finally finished The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton. What an epic... Graphic in every sense, great characters and detail, and has a brilliant twist on the sci fi genre. Can't wait to pick up the next one in the series!

Deli Kate
Leather Rebel

Postby Deli Kate » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Littlemissmetal wrote:
i_am_a_viking wrote:I'm on the 3rd Twilight book now. It is actually as good as everyone makes out :yes:

Best one of the four. And I wasn't massive on any of them.

Time Traveller's Wife - have been told to give it a whirl so am doing :)

Just finished it- a very good read. Also read the Book Thief this week..... no wonder I feel so miserable :rolleyes:
Kate
10" of Awesomeness and a latte...

@DeliKate_events

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpjsgPDM4t8

Oceansoul
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Oceansoul » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Just bought the new Dan Brown book. Actually quite looking forward to reading, as I loved Angels and Demons.
JOIN THE BLOODSTOCK CHATROOM!! --> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14484

**Just a small town girl, Living in a lonely world. She took the midnight train going anywhere**

Freakshow Nightmare
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Freakshow Nightmare » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:19 pm

I'm working my way through my English Literature reading list. I've got to read Persuasion, by Jane Austen, 'The Parlemente of Foulys' by Geoffrey Chaucer, and something or other by Virginia Wolfe.

What larks. Luckily, on of my side books is a poetry appreciation book by Stephen Fry, which makes everything better.
"Reign of terror, on the seas,
will bring these posers to their knees"

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:14 pm

I recently just finished reading The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks and I really enjoyed it, a book hasn't grabbed me like that in quite a while. Out of the Shannara books I've read so far, this is the best. 8)

onona

Postby onona » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:29 am

Oceansoul wrote:Just bought the new Dan Brown book. Actually quite looking forward to reading, as I loved Angels and Demons.

Hehe I got it yesterday. About halfway through it and I hate to admit it, but I am quite enjoying it. Which is weird, considering the fact that I think Brown is a terrible writer. He really is. His actual prose is stale and clichéd, and his writing is also annoyingly condescending, in its painfully overdone explanations of absolutely everything. They're basically books written for the lowest common denominator, and yet I can't deny that despite all this, he weaves a page-turner of a tale.

The Binkster
Location: In A World Of Magnets And Miracles/The Hampshire Hills Near Winchester-Town

Postby The Binkster » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:32 am

onona wrote:Hehe I got it yesterday. About halfway through it and I hate to admit it, but I am quite enjoying it. Which is weird, considering the fact that I think Brown is a terrible writer. He really is. His actual prose is stale and clichéd, and his writing is also annoyingly condescending, in its painfully overdone explanations of absolutely everything. They're basically books written for the lowest common denominator, and yet I can't deny that despite all this, he weaves a page-turner of a tale.

Every form of rigorous literary analysis reveals this book to be abysmal, so why couldn't I put it down!