The Ale Thread.

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Re: The Ale Thread.

Postby tranmerefan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:15 pm

tranmerefan wrote:My mates are hosting a house party and have bought 9 gallons of Bomardier in to drink. I can get there until 12/half 12 depending on when Judas Priest finishes and I bet there's non left.

Enough for 2 pints. Score. Had a hand pump and everything, my mate had to tell me what to do though because I've never pulled a pint of ale before.

Would love to know where it all went though, all 72 pints in one night...
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Pagan Knight
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Pagan Knight » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:25 pm

:chug: I know its Cider & not Ale But "Black rat "cider is worth a taste :chug:
A Storms A-Brewing!
The Clan Destined , A Forest Of Stars , Wintersun , Tiamat , Moonspell , Wardruna , Pitchshifter , Anathema , Sòlstafir , Suicidal Tendencies , Moonsorrow , Winterfylleth , Baroness & FEN for Bloodstock Open Air ....

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 pm

We've had Deuchars IPA in a fair bit lately. Gorgeous pint, really refreshing beer.
Tonight I had a pint of Nelson's Revenge (Woodforde's) which rarely disappoints. Woodforde's are probably one of my favourite breweries tbh. Also had a pint of a beer called "Bob", whose brewery I've forgotten. Still, it was quite pleasant and went down smoothly.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

HollyTheHeadbanger
Denim Demon

Postby HollyTheHeadbanger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 pm

Not exactly like, a rare sight or anything in terms of ale but I'm currently enjoying a good ol' bottle of Burning Gold Bombardier. Prefer it so much compared to regular Bombardier.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:44 am

If I remember rightly, Burning Gold is gorgeous. One of my mates was raving about Satanic Mills but I thought it tasted shite. That said, I wasn't a fan of dark beer back then, so may have to revisit (if it's even available anymore)..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36 pm

I asked my housemate the other night what they drink in Wales and she said brains, which when drunk the concept of the Welsh drinking brains is hilarious. Didn't realise it was a brewery til I saw the Newtownards Spoons had Brains SA Gold in, which was decent enough if a bit weak up front taste-wise.

Also got round to trying Wells Banana Bread beer and St. Peter's Cream Stout. I think the trick with speciality beers is being able to keep the intensity of flavour throughout the whole bottle which the Wells' job just didn't do for me. Tasted grand but you just don't get the same "whoa!" after the first few sips. That cream stout was brilliant though, highly recommended to anyone who likes strong stouts, in both flavour and alcoholic content.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Applecore wrote:If I remember rightly, Burning Gold is gorgeous. One of my mates was raving about Satanic Mills but I thought it tasted shite. That said, I wasn't a fan of dark beer back then, so may have to revisit (if it's even available anymore)..

Best part of Satanic Mills is the label, so I really don't think you're wrong. Terribly average beer imo.

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Peerless Brewery based in Birkenhead is rapidly becoming my favourite. Yet to have a crap pint from them.

Thats why I was annoyed when it was only "coming soon" in my local Wetherspoons. Goddammit.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:36 pm

At the pub I go every wednesday, they had Bateman's 'Porter' on, which is actually a stout, but what a bloody fantastic beer it is! Slightly more flavoursome than Marston's Oyster Stout.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:49 pm

Im thinking about trying some organic and/or low percentage (under 3,8%) ales out soon. I have truly run out of stuff to drink and give my opinion about in my local Sainsburys. I have stayed clear of the organic stuff because it seems a bit ridiculous, and I have always looked at low alcohol beers as whats the point? Im not a massive drinker these days, so my tollerance is ridiculously low, even BOA was a struggle for me: Even got to the point I could drink no more on the Sunday, so it makes no difference any more.

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Had a porter last weekend called "Shaft Bender" :rofl: As expected, it was disgusting, but I had to order it just for the name :lol:

ribbons69
Denim Demon

Postby ribbons69 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:04 pm

MetalBeast wrote:Blue Monkey's new "Organ Grinder" pub (round the corner from what used to be Junktion 7) is superb. Eight cask ales, plus a much-better-than-average range of keg beers, including Brooklyn Lager, Jaipur (SIBA Keg Beer Champion 2011) and La Chouffe. They're going to start doing bottled beers as well soon and will have a real fire come winter.

...and it's Derby's summer beer festival on the 9th.

I'll have to check that place out.And "Brooklyn lager"? At Mr Foley's ale house in Leeds I had a bottle of Brooklyn chocolate stout,10%,fucking lovely stuff!
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brooklyn-b ... stout/531/
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,

we fall to rise

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:08 pm

ribbons69 wrote:
MetalBeast wrote:Blue Monkey's new "Organ Grinder" pub (round the corner from what used to be Junktion 7) is superb. Eight cask ales, plus a much-better-than-average range of keg beers, including Brooklyn Lager, Jaipur (SIBA Keg Beer Champion 2011) and La Chouffe. They're going to start doing bottled beers as well soon and will have a real fire come winter.

...and it's Derby's summer beer festival on the 9th.

I'll have to check that place out.And "Brooklyn lager"? At Mr Foley's ale house in Leeds I had a bottle of Brooklyn chocolate stout,10%,fucking lovely stuff!
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brooklyn-b ... stout/531/

I bet it tastes like shit. Very few beer makers can pull off decent beers that are over 7%.

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 pm

Had a golden ale called HMS Victory tonight until the pub ran out. Dunno the brewery, 'twas nice though
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:03 am

Black Sheep Ale. It's darn nice but just not exciting. It's been a while since i've had any truly interesting ales.

Also, had a bottle of Belfast Blonde in a bar last night that had gone off, and not the first time that's happened. Don't know what it is about College Green that it's always them when this happens.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire