movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: movies

Postby Ghost » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Saw Chernobyl Diaries. Was ok. It's amused me that my wife now wants us to visit the abandoned town near chernobyl. Apparently they do day trips there. Has she learnt nothing from watching the movie :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Last night I watched 2 of the original Ray Harryhausen Sinbad movies, still awesome to watch, and Jayne Seymore was a babe

Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Watched Argo tonight, thought it was an excellent and genuinely exciting film ( although as ever with these 'based on true stories' movies I get a little annoyed by the stuff the film didn't do after I've read up on what really happened!! ).

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 am

I think Argo is an awesome film, I thought the comparison of news footage and film footage was good in the end credits too, just shows how close they were in detail to it, but yeah it was ramped up in the excitement stakes :lol:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Andy Hall wrote:I think Argo is an awesome film, I thought the comparison of news footage and film footage was good in the end credits too, just shows how close they were in detail to it, but yeah it was ramped up in the excitement stakes :lol:

I don't have a problem with dramatic license in scenes such as the finale ( if they'd filmed it as it apparently happened it would have been a terrible anti-climax! ). But it turns out to be another of those films that Americans have made that paint themselves in a significantly better light than anyone else. The bit that particularly irked me after reading up on the true events was the smearing of the British and New Zealand embassies. Both helped the hostages at great risk to themselves but the movie has them both refusing to help at all. But, yeah, it was a great film.

Cloud Atlas today then. What the fuck was that all about? I generally love obtuse films (Mulholland Drive is possibly my favourite movie of all time alongside Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) but this had me bamboozled for the most part. But...I'm already looking forward to seeing it again so it obviously stirred something in me. Hopefully I can get to grips with it more on a second viewing.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:30 pm

I havn't seen this in ages so thought i'd watch it this afternoon, why people slated this is beyond me, the stunt work is phenomenal, the effects are brilliant, the fight scenes damn impressive, the scale of the film is huge, some fantastic performances from the cast, it's funny, everything I want from an action adventure movie

8/10

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Soze wrote:Cloud Atlas today then. What the fuck was that all about? I generally love obtuse films (Mulholland Drive is possibly my favourite movie of all time alongside Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) but this had me bamboozled for the most part. But...I'm already looking forward to seeing it again so it obviously stirred something in me. Hopefully I can get to grips with it more on a second viewing.

Ok the big mistake people make with this is thinking that each actor plays the same incarnation in each time zone, think of it that the soul transfers but the actors don't so Tom Hanks plays the assassin, the lover and person who frees the slaves, he doesn't just become himself in each time zone, perfect example in the opening sequence he tries to kill the captain as the assassin, when he dies on the plane the assassin kills him, at that time he is the person who is freeing the people, it's about the soul living on and redemption not making the same mistake, so the assassin does get his man where he failed in the past, the salkves do get saved eventually, the lovers do end up together, the same soul that was in the 2 men is the same 2 souls in the Tom Hanks and Halle Berry characters at the end :yes:

Beezerk
Consort of the Beast

Postby Beezerk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Andy Hall wrote:I think Argo is an awesome film, I thought the comparison of news footage and film footage was good in the end credits too, just shows how close they were in detail to it, but yeah it was ramped up in the excitement stakes :lol:

Argo was sublime, deserved all the awards it won.

Got My Brother The Devil for tonight, fell asleep halfway through Seven Psycopaths last night heh heh, enjoyed what I saw though.

Off work for the rest of the week now so it's gonna be movie madness in the Beez abode :yes:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 pm

I think i'm now going to watch all 3 Pirates Of the Carribean films :yes:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Andy Hall wrote:I think i'm now going to watch all 3 Pirates Of the Carribean films :yes:

My condolences! The first was harmless fun, the second was godawful and I stopped at that point. Thanks for the Cloud Atlas break down though, I may pick it up when it comes out on blu-ray, it deserves (nay, demands!) a second watch.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Andy Hall wrote:I think i'm now going to watch all 3 Pirates Of the Carribean films :yes:
Somewhere, Mark Kermode's head is exploding.

Oh, and I take it you mean all 4 btw. :D

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Why do it to yourself?

Beezerk
Consort of the Beast

Postby Beezerk » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Darkweasel wrote:

:lol:

Gotta agree with the general consensus, first one wasn't bad but the rest were just pure tosh.
Guy Threepwood, now that's a fucking pirate tale ;)

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:40 pm

Darkweasel wrote:

Oh, and I take it you mean all 4 btw. :D

No i'm going to watch the original trilogy, the 4th is a stand alone movie that isn't a contiunuation of the other 3, and I love all 4 films, I don't want an evening of mind expansion, I want an evening of escapism and swashbuckling fantasy you miserable bastards :P

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Beezerk wrote:Guybrush Threepwood

He wasn't a pirate, he was selling these fine coats..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock