A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Smindas
Denim Demon

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby Smindas » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Whilst it's a stupid thing to get sponsored for, if people can actually raise the money for it and donate it to a charitable cause, I don't really see the issue at all.

We all know Movember is a bit of a stupid thing, but somehow it's also succeeded in getting people who wouldn't normally donate to charity to start doing so. Nothing wrong with that.

As an aside, I should probably stop drinking in the new year and start doing that whole exercising thing again. Pffffffft.

Freyja
Denim Demon

Postby Freyja » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:01 pm

I dont know, personally I'd find giving up alcohol for a month a big challenge. I'm pretty shy and socially awkward and alcohol helps me get over that. I also love to have a glass of red with a meal as it can enhance the flavours of the food so much more. Finding it difficult to go a month without alcohol doesn't mean you need to see a doctor!

Not sure what other thread this could go in so thought I'd ask here; there's a recruitment day coming up for a new restaurant opening in February, which I'm planning on going to. However, I've never been to a recruitment day so have no idea what to expect. What happens at these things and what are you supposed to wear? Also, I'm assuming you should bring a CV along?
Littlemissmetal wrote:I'm 21 and have never touched mine :eyes:

http://blackmetalwine.wordpress.com/

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Freyja wrote:Finding it difficult to go a month without alcohol doesn't mean you need to see a doctor!
Might not mean you need to see a doctor but it sure does highlight the fact you're psychologically dependent on a non-vital substance.

Freyja wrote:Not sure what other thread this could go in so thought I'd ask here; there's a recruitment day coming up for a new restaurant opening in February, which I'm planning on going to. However, I've never been to a recruitment day so have no idea what to expect. What happens at these things and what are you supposed to wear? Also, I'm assuming you should bring a CV along?

Best thing to do is to ask. Find out if it's a formal or casual setting (that'll let you know how to dress), and what to expect (presentations, seminars on working there, or if it's something with other local businesses having some kind of open day).

Additional: prepare for the 'well come along and find out' remark by just saying you want to know what to wear and what to bring, CVs, notepads, etc. (though I recommended bringing those anyway).
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:16 pm

Wasn't sure where else to put it so here'll do.

I seem to be in a rather awkward situation with with an estate agent at the moment. I went to view a flat at the beginning of this month and basically said I wanted to move in to it. Went back to the estate agent and rang my mum and got her to pay (it's being paid with my trust fund and she's in control of that).

They said they wanted a 6 week rent deposit, plus fees for the estate agent AND 3 months rent in advance (rent is £813 a month), which my mum reluctantly agreed to as she thought it was a lot to pay up front, but they said because I'm a student and they don't normally rent out to students due to payment issues it was more likely to secure the deal...although they made little sense to me when it's not actually me paying for it.

ANYWAY I mentioned the other week on the forums that the landlord wanted to meet me before I move in, so I tried to arrange that with the estate agent. They asked me for a date, I said today and they said they'd sort it. The only problem is they closed their offices for xmas before arranging it properly and won't open again until the 7th January. My lease starts on the 1st, and the course I have to be in London for starts on the 7th, yet I have no contact details for the landlord to meet him, no way of contacting the estate agents while they're closed and no way of knowing what the hell i'm meant to be doing to sort everything in time for me to move in.

Anyone know what the hell I should do?! Sorry for the giant wall of text, it's probably not very concise but oh well.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Can you commute for the first week or so?

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Yeah, it'd just be incredibly inconvenient and expensive. I do have the option though.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:45 pm

I find that working in retail and alcohol go hand in hand.

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:55 pm

Moonburp wrote:
Kami wrote:So what do I get for not drinking for 6 or so years?

This whole new 'trendy' thing of being sponsored for simply doing nothing is just stupid. If stopping drinking for a month is enough of a challenge for you that you need sponsoring to do it, then you need to see a doctor.

This.

+1

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:54 pm

Nantha wrote:And lol, that chart says pint's only cost you £3 :lol: yeah right

It has the same cost for a shot, which means a bottle of spirit is apparently £84, when I can easily buy a bottle of Captain Morgan's for £12... :?
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:02 pm

it does say 'night out', which is clearly the top end of the scale for cost.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

A double shot of gin in London cost me £7 the other week, so I guess it depends where you are...

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Yeah, the indian i went for christmas meal in leicester was 2.50 a shot.

Shit's expensive son.

That's why you spend your weekends alone with a crate of strongbow and black like a logical person.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:09 pm

TheLotusEater193 wrote:A double shot of gin in London cost me £7 the other week, so I guess it depends where you are...

Having gotten so used to London prices, me and a mate were absolutely floored by how cheap drink is back here in Wales. £4 for a double Hendrick's and tonic? I'll have four.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 pm

London is in no way representative of UK prices :P

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Smindas wrote:
TheLotusEater193 wrote:A double shot of gin in London cost me £7 the other week, so I guess it depends where you are...

Having gotten so used to London prices, me and a mate were absolutely floored by how cheap drink is back here in Wales. £4 for a double Hendrick's and tonic? I'll have four.

But London wages are also substantially higher to make up for it
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1