A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Chyeah, that only works if you have a job. :(

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:33 pm

TheLotusEater193 wrote:Chyeah, that only works if you have a job. :(

That or student funding (also higher in London)
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:53 pm

Is it? I don't have either so I wouldn't know. Either way that makes me look forward to having a job even more.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:57 pm

It still depends on how good a job you get!
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:04 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:It still depends on how good a job you get!

Of course but generally London pay is higher that pay outside of London
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:04 pm

That's what I thought. Like minimum wage is still minimum wage. I don't really understand how so many people afford it.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:13 pm

All the students I knew in London got the same loans as everyone else in the country. I don't think they get more for London...
And min wage is still min wage, the dole is the same all over the country. Most people I know who grew up in London are poor as fuck all the time

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Nantha wrote:All the students I knew in London got the same loans as everyone else in the country. I don't think they get more for London...
And min wage is still min wage, the dole is the same all over the country. Most people I know who grew up in London are poor as fuck all the time

Back in my day, London students got more loan than non Londoners.

Also, earnings by area are calculated by averages so London will come out higher as it has a higher percentage of high earners due to the nature of the businesses that operate in the capital i.e. city traders that make 6 figure sums will cancel out your minimum wage earners.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:
Nantha wrote:All the students I knew in London got the same loans as everyone else in the country. I don't think they get more for London...

Back in my day, London students got more loan than non Londoners.

Also, earnings by area are calculated by averages so London will come out higher as it has a higher percentage of high earners due to the nature of the businesses that operate in the capital i.e. city traders that make 6 figure sums will cancel out your minimum wage earners.

From what I've heard London students still get more yeah, but I didn't make it my business to check considering I never applied to any London Unis. I'll agree with the average being skewed, but generally as far as I've been told, once you're off minimum wage, pay is generally higher in London.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Depends on the job though
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:58 pm

As a London student, I got marginally more loan than my non-London mates. However, it was not enough to cover the defecit between cost of living in London and living outside of London. In all honesty, the only reason I was able to afford student life was because I was eligible for grants and bursaries due to my folks falling under a particular earning bracket.

As for wage in London - yes, for the most part it will be ever so slightly more, theoretically. But, again, it's only adjusted to accommodate the increased cost of living and even then, it usually falls short. However, London wages are not "substantially higher" by far. Most of my mates outside of the city with jobs of equal level earn the same (if not more) and, as a result, get more for their money. I mean hell, I've technically had a decent job for a year and a half and I still can really only properly afford student-y accommodation. The only jobs that are substantially higher are the ridiculous city jobs like banking, which pay ludicrous amounts.

It annoys me how often it's assumed that student loans / earning are fairly adjusted to match up to the inflated cost of living in London, because they really aren't. They're higher, but not an accurate equivalent.

tl;dr - don't live in London if you like having money.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:32 am

Yeah, Sam I think you've got it right.
If you think about anyway, even if London students do get more loan, it's just more to pay back at the end, and a fucking lot more when interest is taken into account.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:35 am

One of many reasons I don't see myself living in London any time soon. I like to be able to have at least some disposable income and live in a part of town that I won't get mug-raped.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:05 am

Nantha wrote:Yeah, Sam I think you've got it right.
If you think about anyway, even if London students do get more loan, it's just more to pay back at the end, and a fucking lot more when interest is taken into account.

Yeah, that whole education thing has done a lovely job of putting me in massive debt. Yayyyy.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 am

Yeah, the cost of living in London has been even more than I ever realised it would be. I can't believe i've signed up to pay £813 a month for one bedroom. As much as I like living there, there's no chance I'll be able to afford to stay once my course is over.