movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Re: movies

Postby kaosweaver20 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Jobdone wrote:Starring Jaden Smith, guaranteed.

I'd still rather him than his sister or mother.

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Watched Ain't Them Bodies Saints.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I found myself a bit bored and figity at times, but I wouldn't say I out and out disliked it.
A few things I liked, a lot of the atmospheric nature and cloud shots, they were very up my street. And the music and sound, how diagetic sound often continued as a sound bridge and became none diagetic and a part of the soundtrack. I feel there were some really good performances by everyone involved too.
A few things that bugged me were the audio mix, at times I struggled to hear what was being said, and at times atmos/sfx drowned out the dialogue. There was also one scene which felt a bit 'raw' for want of a better word, the dialogue didn't seem as full in tone and felt it was lacking a little low end and almost clipping. Not sure why, but it took me out of it. It was also a very dark film, not in mood or tone, but in terms of light. The night scenes really did feel like night, but it was hard to make out what was going on, and even the normal day scenes seemed dark. I'm not sure if it was a deliberate contrast to the 'halcyon days' scenes (as I've named them), but I found it a little off putting. I also felt the film was really slow and the plot was very sparse. Not a whole lot happens in the film, and I personally didn't feel the atmosphere was sufficient to carry me. It was only 96 minutes, but I felt it dragged at times. I also felt that I didn't really care enough about any character, a lot of back story is just quickly glossed over, and I just never find I care about any of them.
It reminded me of No Country For Old Men a bit, aesthetically, but also in the way the film concludes too.
I think despite the negative, I didn't hate it, and there was enough quality there to get something from it, I just feel it misses the mark slightly. 3 fists I think.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:30 pm

You guys need to keep up, I posted about Creed a month ago in this thread. :lol:

Watching Silver Streak at the moment. I haven't seen this in years. I always tend to watch Stir Crazy and See no evil hear no evil but this is a nice film. I might watch Another You again one day just incase it's better than I remember. :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:29 pm

V/H/S 2

Saw it at cinema a few weeks ago, but just watched it again now - absolutely killer, wipes the floor with the original.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 pm

So, Bad Milo is... "available"..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:59 pm

bloodfiend wrote:V/H/S 2

Saw it at cinema a few weeks ago, but just watched it again now - absolutely killer, wipes the floor with the original.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with either.

Blackfish

Documentary about Tilikum, the Killer Whale with a history of attacking and killing its trainers, and how it appears his attacks have been covered up by his owners due to his worth as a breeding male.
Interviews with former SeaWorld employees and footage from actual incidents show that keeping these animals in captivity, although all very nice for the general public to applaud and cheer, is inherently dangerous and occasionally fatal.
The film backs up its stories and accusations with facts and film footage, as well as expert opinion, but never becomes overtly preachy until the very end - by which point I found myself agreeing with them anyway.

It's actually very one-sided but that's hardly the makers fault seeing as SeaWorld repeatedly declined to take part. They also apparently tried to have their name removed from the film (which, considering how many times it was used would have pretty much rendered the film unwatchable) due to them being seen in such a bad light. Altering facts about deaths, deliberately releasing misinformation, hiding some facts entirely, and even going so far as to blame a trainer herself for her death.

A real eye-opener and easily one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

9/10

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Just watched The World's End.
When I saw the advert for it I thought it looked like a load of shite. And although it's the least best of "The Cornetto Trilogy" it's still brilliant.
"Get back in your rocket, and fuck off back to Legoland you cunts"!

7/10

AidanParry
Definitely Not Nu

Postby AidanParry » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Agree, The Worlds End is the least amazing out of the three, but, the others were both amazing films, was a bit too 'serious' and not a lot of comedy, but that line made me chuckle. :lol:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Stallone and De niro are to fight each other in a film about old ageing boxers (not the willy cupping variety). Whatever next.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:57 pm

I saw that, it's kind of being billed as rocky vs raging bull, but if DeNiro's track record over the last decade is anything to go by it'll be a comedy.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:06 pm

When did people suddenly want to see Stallone in movies again. I mean I remember the late nineties when his movies didn't do well. The movies he makes now are no better than his late nineties efforts except for Rocky Balboa which was great.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Ghost wrote:When did people suddenly want to see Stallone in movies again. I mean I remember the late nineties when his movies didn't do well. The movies he makes now are no better than his late nineties efforts except for Rocky Balboa which was great.

I've always been into Stallone's movies. Even the shit ones.
For most other people though, somewhere between Rocky Balboa and Rambo, perhaps?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Bad Milo.
Monster lives in dude's butt.
People from good American comedy shows are there (Gillian Jacobs, Patrick Warburton, Ken Marino, Kumail Nanjiani, Erik Charles Nielsen, to name most of them).
Awesome.
8/10
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Slaughter High
Wooden acting, inventive kills, badly made. I should love this.
However, I can't see me wanting to watch it again. Possibly only if a cleaner quality version is out there. The VHS quality picture is novel at first, but a lot is lost in the poorly lit low resolution.
6/10
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Applecore wrote:Slaughter High
Wooden acting, inventive kills, badly made. I should love this.
However, I can't see me wanting to watch it again. Possibly only if a cleaner quality version is out there. The VHS quality picture is novel at first, but a lot is lost in the poorly lit low resolution.
6/10

Love that the Scottish bloke who ended up in Emmerdale (and in Highlander, briefly) was in it.

The World's End
When I saw the advert for it I thought it looked like a load of shite. And although it's the least best of "The Cornetto Trilogy" it's still excellent.
"Get back in your rocket, and fuck off back to Legoland you cunts"!
7/10