movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Kami
Leather Rebel

Re: movies

Postby Kami » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:23 pm

Applecore wrote:
Kami wrote:
BolterBoy wrote:Drag me to Hell was pretty good, first film i watched in years that kept making me jump. I really didnt like the scary old gypsie woman, she was sketchy as balls.

Fucking love that film, been meaning to pick up the dvd but the lack of bonus material is putting me off. The chin sucking is hilarious :lol:

Bought it today - £13.71. High price but I know it's worth it for the film alone! One of the year's best I reckon.

I know its worth it for the film, but for some reason the lack of bonus material is really putting me off as I'm holding out for a version with more. Which is kind of strange for me, seeing as I own three copies of Evil Dead and three copies of Evil Dead II.

So I'm not afraid of buying a film more than once.... :eyes:

This will probably change by tomorrow though when I get the urge to see the film again and just think fuck it and buy it....
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:40 am

Applecore wrote:
Kami wrote:
BolterBoy wrote:Drag me to Hell was pretty good, first film i watched in years that kept making me jump. I really didnt like the scary old gypsie woman, she was sketchy as balls.

Fucking love that film, been meaning to pick up the dvd but the lack of bonus material is putting me off. The chin sucking is hilarious :lol:

Bought it today - £13.71. High price but I know it's worth it for the film alone! One of the year's best I reckon.

Really? It sounded pretty awful and the whole "gypsy curse" thing has been done before.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:47 am

Kami wrote:I know its worth it for the film, but for some reason the lack of bonus material is really putting me off as I'm holding out for a version with more. Which is kind of strange for me, seeing as I own three copies of Evil Dead and three copies of Evil Dead II.

So I'm not afraid of buying a film more than once.... :eyes:

This will probably change by tomorrow though when I get the urge to see the film again and just think fuck it and buy it....

Haha, I did that with Night of the Living Dead. Ended up with 3 versions of the original (now down to 2).
There's not loads of extras on it, but there's a few featurettes and stuff? If it was £13 for just the movie I'd understand you having second thoughts, but there's at least SOMETHING on it.

VizardAmata wrote:Really? It sounded pretty awful and the whole "gypsy curse" thing has been done before.

Yeah the gypsy curse thing has been done before - but then what hasn't? It's a decent Horror movie that's well made and has some great jumpy moments (as well as the usual Sam Raimi comedy moments). Don't judge a book by it's cover, etc.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

milkhead
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby milkhead » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:59 am

I'm trying to get hold of Z, a political thriller set in Greece starring Yves Montand. I like the films of this era, I've managed to get No Blade of Grass (post apocalyptic), The Bedford Incident (Cold War chiller), War Game (BBC film about a nuclear attack on UK), Fail Safe (original version) as well as Village of the Damned / Children of the Damned and the Quatermass films. Hawk the Slayer is an entertaining film, dodgy sets and costumes, but compensated for with a decent story line and acting. If you're a teacher, then watch If, another classic from that era. Fritz Lang's Metropolis is worth watching as well as the film of Kafka's The Trial.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Applecore wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:Really? It sounded pretty awful and the whole "gypsy curse" thing has been done before.

Yeah the gypsy curse thing has been done before - but then what hasn't? It's a decent Horror movie that's well made and has some great jumpy moments (as well as the usual Sam Raimi comedy moments). Don't judge a book by it's cover, etc.

Yeah, I suppose. I'm quite hard to please when it comes to films, but maybe I should give it a go.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:47 pm

Going to see Up in a bit, expecting it to be shit as next to all animated films have been recently (Excluding Wall-E), but still, it was at cannes so it should be better.

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:57 pm

possible the best CGI animated movie i have ever seen, dark, edgy and a very clever concept, although we have seen similar in the Matrix, this was a superb film that i will be definately buying on Blu ray when it comes out

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:31 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:Going to see Up in a bit, expecting it to be shit as next to all animated films have been recently (Excluding Wall-E), but still, it was at cannes so it should be better.

Someone didn't see Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs ;)
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:32 pm

Not entirely relevant to this thread but I can't see a TV thread and can't be bothered to start one just for the sake of this.
Anyway, I've finally gotten around to buying Dexter Season One on dvd! Why the fuck haven't I been watching this?? Love it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:46 pm

JENNIFER'S BODY
Oh Jesus, why did I watch this?
It was even worse than Cursed.
:o
1/10
(Point for the lesbian kiss)

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:32 am

THE MUMMY III - CURSE OF THE DRAGON BOLLOCKS OR SOMETHING
An hour and three quarters that would have been better spent fellating a septic yeti.
1/10

Amelia
Consort of the Beast

Postby Amelia » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:36 am

VizardAmata wrote:
Applecore wrote:

Yeah, I suppose. I'm quite hard to please when it comes to films, but maybe I should give it a go.

it's terrible. the "jumpy" moments are mostly just gross it left me feeling amazed that i had managed to sit through the whole thing.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:39 am

See No Evil

2/10

Freaking awful and generic, and I couldn't help but think "Yay, it's Kane!" everytime I saw him on screen, but I liked how one of the girls was killed by being forced to swallow her own mobile phone.

Amelia
Consort of the Beast

Postby Amelia » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:45 am

what's even funnier is that all the the wwe seemed to think that maintaining kayfabe was necessary in all the cast interviews so that they all had to mention how kane is really evil and crazy.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:56 am

That sounds like the world's greatest Blankety Blank question:

"I liked how one of the girls was killed by being forced to swallow her own..."
Blank.