movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Re: movies

Postby Lick Mars » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:23 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:Saw it years ago, in a german lesson I think, and I remember it being pretty good. It's always rediculously expencive when I go to buy it though, so I never bother.

I got it today for £2.99 in Head/Zavvi/whatever its called now. It does say 'For Rental Viewing Only', but still, was cheap and unopened lol. Think I'll watch it at the weekend.
My old german lessons we always ended up watching Goodbye Lenin - at the time I hated it because I couldn't understand it, and it just emphasised the fact I was the worst in my class at A Level ha . But now I think its great

beckiegreenway
Definitely Not Nu

Postby beckiegreenway » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:11 pm

2012 was amazing visually but had me laughing my head of at some points. there is only so many times one limo can go under a falling bridge, building ect and be inches from being crushed and the jump over huge hills and not be fucked.

the forth kind, was scary but not all that interesting.

paranormal activity - amazing the most scary film ive seen in years :) well worth going to see at the cinemas.

anyone seen 9? ive been getting mixed reviews and im not sure if i want to go see it

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:45 pm

I watched most of Friday the 13th part 3 (in 3D) last night. It was what I expected, so crappy its its kinda funny, mainly for the parts done for the sake of a 3D audience e.g. people being killed with long spikes, shots of yo yo's and swinging things at the camera lol.

I wanna go see Paranomal Activity, though everywhere says its the scariest film ever so I'll probably be dissapointed because there are LOADS of films that have said that and have been the opposite, hmm

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:48 pm

Lick Mars wrote: I wanna go see Paranomal Activity, though everywhere says its the scariest film ever so I'll probably be dissapointed because there are LOADS of films that have said that and have been the opposite, hmm
Most disappointing film I've ever seen. But I'll tell you this, if you're scared of moving doors.. prepare to shit your pants.

pac65
Consort of the Beast

Postby pac65 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Saw Christmas Carol 3D on thursday and was pleasently surprised, really enjoyed it although the 3D didn't really wow me, however the 3D trailer for Avatar was incredible which means the film itself will probably be incredibly dissappointing. Will definitely give it a go as it will at least be visually stunning and despite Titanic I am still a fan of James Cameron.
Off to see 2012 tomorrow, haven't heard too much thats good about this film but I still want to see for myself.
DEATH ANGEL
ARKONA
HAIL OF BULLETS
HEATHEN
SABBAT
FOR BOA 2012

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:53 pm

I just wouldn't enjoy 3D , i hate things jumping out at me, which is why I don't watch horror, but to actually have things fly in my face, I just don't see the entertainment value

pac65
Consort of the Beast

Postby pac65 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:14 pm

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:I just wouldn't enjoy 3D , i hate things jumping out at me, which is why I don't watch horror, but to actually have things fly in my face, I just don't see the entertainment value

Yeah i've always been sceptical about 3D and seen it as a gimmick but the Avatar trailer really surprised me. It was stunning and the effects were very immersive rather than trying to wow people with cheap thrills. It remains to be seen how it plays as a film rather than a trailer but i'm curious enough to give it a go.
DEATH ANGEL
ARKONA
HAIL OF BULLETS
HEATHEN
SABBAT
FOR BOA 2012

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm going to watch Avatar, but in 2D, i'm sure if you're in to rollercoasters and thrill seeking 3D is for you, but for someone like me who just likes a good movie , rather than to be immersed in a world , that should be enough, if the film is good , it will stand up on its own imo

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:20 pm

I was a skeptic until I saw The Final Destination.. twice..
I think 3D is only good at the cinema. RealD is infinitely better than the cardboard glasses you get for home viewing, and as they can't get RealD to work on TVs, it's probably best kept at the cinema.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Ensorcelled wrote:
Lick Mars wrote: I wanna go see Paranomal Activity, though everywhere says its the scariest film ever so I'll probably be dissapointed because there are LOADS of films that have said that and have been the opposite, hmm
Most disappointing film I've ever seen. But I'll tell you this, if you're scared of moving doors.. prepare to shit your pants.

I'm not... so yeah, might just wait for the DVD lol

on topic of 3D - I agree its probably best left to the cinema, or places like Disney World, Universal Studies etc. I remember a lot of rides/attractions incorporating 3D when I went to Florida years ago and it was really good! Channel 4 3D week - not very good.

Pagan Knight
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Pagan Knight » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:50 pm

pac65 wrote:Saw Christmas Carol 3D on thursday and was pleasently surprised, really enjoyed it although the 3D didn't really wow me.

We thought the same when we saw it on Weds,im not realy convinced by 3D,never have been since the first film i saw in it back in the 80's.The 'motion capture' style of filming is a bit odd at first but i soon got into it again(like when i saw 'Beowulf'). 8)
A Storms A-Brewing!
The Clan Destined , A Forest Of Stars , Wintersun , Tiamat , Moonspell , Wardruna , Pitchshifter , Anathema , Sòlstafir , Suicidal Tendencies , Moonsorrow , Winterfylleth , Baroness & FEN for Bloodstock Open Air ....

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:58 am

EXECUTIVE KOALA

(From the DVD case)
Minoru Kawasaki's follow-up to Calamari Wrestler, a cult classic Psy-Koala Horror/Comedy!
Tamura is an average Japanese salaryman working in the offices of a pickle distribution company. He is well liked in the office, hard-working, polite, wears a suit and tie, and also happens to be a six-foot tall koala bear. But when his girlfriend Yoko turns up dead one day and Tamura is the chief suspect, he is forced to enlist the help of his boss (a white rabbit) and a friendly convenience store attendant (a frog) in order to prove his innocence. A psychological thriller wrapped up in the packaging of a nonsense comedy with giant animals EXECUTIVE KOALA is like nothing America has ever produced...which is why it was made in Japan!

(My thoughts)
You will never see a film like this. To be honest, if it wasn't for the giant animals, it'd be a pretty boring film. But the fact that the protagonist is a giant Koala Bear, his boss is a Bunny and there's a Frog who knows more about what's going on than you'd think, makes this all the more watchable.
Worth a look, but only available in Region 1. Shame, we could do with more bizarre films like this over here.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:12 pm

Ensorcelled wrote:

Don't forget creaky floorboards. They had me cowering in fear for a month.
Patios. :eyes:

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:43 pm

3D TV/Film doesn't work on me. I have strange eyes.

The Executive Koala thing sounds...interesting.

On a Japanese related note, is Kamikaze Girls worth seeing? I caught the first 15 minutes the other night and looked as if it might be worth tracking down.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:09 pm

If it's Japanese and looks fucking crazy then yes.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock