The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

Conservative
6%
Labour
39%
Liberal Democrat
28%
SNP
No votes
Brexit
6%
Green
11%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
No votes
Won't Vote
11%

Total votes: 18

euantehclansman
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Scottish Independence thread

Postby euantehclansman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Despite the result, I am chuffed to see the fire is still there. People are still very much seeking out ways to make this happen. Wish all the folk would stop sharing the stupid vote rigging videos though, just going to make us look like a tin foil hat brigade that no-one will take seriously!

pandimensionalsuffering.bandcamp.com

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:The only logical outcome after all that is either an independent Northern Ireland or a United Ireland.

I have no opinion on the politics of this, but would either outcome be economically viable in the short to medium term? (and that is a genuine question, because I simply don't know....)
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Not considering the billions they now owe us. We virtually own the place again. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Czech's Mate wrote:
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:The only logical outcome after all that is either an independent Northern Ireland or a United Ireland.

I have no opinion on the politics of this, but would either outcome be economically viable in the short to medium term? (and that is a genuine question, because I simply don't know....)

At the moment no. If a couple of sensible changes were made though like NI being allowed to lower its corporation tax and the south to listen to the people and decriminalize weed and we'd be on the way. It depends on how soon commercial space flights become a reality as well as 2 of the best candidate sites for launch zones in Northern Europe are in Ireland.

I only just realised while typing that my vision of a United Ireland is stolen from Bill Hicks. Let's stop hating each other, get high and go explore space :lol:
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

euantehclansman
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby euantehclansman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:34 am

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:
Czech's Mate wrote:

At the moment no. If a couple of sensible changes were made though like NI being allowed to lower its corporation tax and the south to listen to the people and decriminalize weed and we'd be on the way. It depends on how soon commercial space flights become a reality as well as 2 of the best candidate sites for launch zones in Northern Europe are in Ireland.

I only just realised while typing that my vision of a United Ireland is stolen from Bill Hicks. Let's stop hating each other, get high and go explore space :lol:

Haha fuck that! Flying in a plane is bad enough when you're high, never mind climbing 3847236419342874 feet into Space :lol:

pandimensionalsuffering.bandcamp.com

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:46 am

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote: flights become a reality as well as 2 of the best candidate sites for launch zones in Northern Europe are in Ireland.

Incorrect, best candidate launch zones are always as close to the equator as possible, with as few people as possible to the east (launches are eastwards, don't want debris and jettisoned rocket stages falling on people).
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:48 am

Depends who the people are. Think we could convince them to build it west of Westminster? :P
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:43 pm

euantehclansman wrote:Despite the result, I am chuffed to see the fire is still there. People are still very much seeking out ways to make this happen.
Some in the SNP are saying that Scotland will eventually get so many devolved powers that it will just be able to declare independence without a referendum. That could trigger a civil war.

I reckon there'll be a Northern Ireland referendum around 2020, maybe leading to another partition along these lines:

DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 pm

What do you mean by further partitioning?
Upcoming Gigs

Kanwulf
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Giving Northern Ireland a referendum is fucking suicidal. Anyway, I had a strange dream last night that Scotland wanted another referendum. But instead of voting, they wanted it judged on who won a horse and chariot style race where in a delegate of Brits would pull a huge cart and a delegate of Scots would too. Obviously if Scotland won, they got independence. If they lost, they were part of the union.... FOREVER!

The UK won, but Scotland didn't think the race was over, so kept going and gloated at overtaking a "resting" British team. They carried on and then eventually got hit by a truck in the road. :lol:

Tell me I'm normal!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:12 pm

Only if there was a slow motion sequence with Pat Benatar playing in the background of your mind
Upcoming Gigs

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:02 am

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:What do you mean by further partitioning?
In theory, the results of a referendum could be looked at on a regional basis, such as the traditional counties:

If there were large votes in Fermanagh and Tyrone for leaving the UK and contrasting results in the north eastern areas then a compromise would be to let those two go and keep the rest in the UK for the time being.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:19 am

Incremental reunification would be interesting... for one thing it would be a harder sell to voters in the south rather wholesale reunification. Don't forget any border changes have to be ratified by them too. I don't think it would be economically beneficial to either Ireland or the UK to go about it that way. The UK agriculture sector would take a sizeable hit so we'd all probably see a slight increase in food prices. The NI unemployment rate would go down with the loss of towns like Strabane but the other hand we'd also lose some educated young people who are going to be important when getting our own taxation powers gives us an economy boost. And any unionists pragmatic enough to see reunification is inevitable would prefer to all go together to safeguard against discrimination. So really I can't see anyone being in favour of it.
Upcoming Gigs

Kanwulf
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Kanwulf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:30 pm

Being a Fermanagh lad myself, I cannot see Fermanagh voting for independence or whatever.

malicious_bloke
Consort of the Beast

Postby malicious_bloke » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:30 pm

I have no problem with ulster returning to ireland, so long as one of the conditions of the split is no more bailouts.

And that goes for ireland as a whole.

You sold your ginger souls (contradictory though that is) to europe, you're very welcome to share their recession. Don't come whining to us (again) when it all goes wrong.
There's no 'I' in snuffly