TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Luke_X
Denim Demon

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Luke_X » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Jobdone wrote:
Luke_X wrote:
Jobdone wrote:Oh fuck yes.

I might have to actually watch season 2 now so I'm ready for season 3.

in which case, you will freak out with episode 13 of season 2. assuming you've read the comics, they set up Michonne perfectly.

Yeah, the comics were the reason I didn't watch the second season.

It was way too awesome to translate properly.

But judging by peoples reactions, I may have to pick it up.

Being a fan of the comics, and trying not to spoil it for you, these are the things i found with the 2nd season:

bad (in terms of comparisson to the comics:

* Dale and Sophia (you'll understand when you watch it)
* they make Shane last way too long in the series to the point he does start to just do the same thing over and over each episode and i couldnt wait for him to go away
* still no Tyreese

Good:

* Shane's 'end' pretty much copies the comic with just a few changes
* Daryl - has become my favourite in the show (although now with Michonne about that might become shared) and i look forward to seeing him in the comics now.
* They do change the whole farm section of the comics a bit, but its dealt in a way that it moves nicely onto the prison section, without ignoring characters like Hershal and Glenn for a long period like in the comics.
* generally speaking, the tv show is capturing the dialogue very well, and the general feeling of woe and despair, from the comics well while still making sure there is some action in places.
* showing how a 'herd' develops, which you dont see in the comics til much later.

overall, it marks a massive step up from the first season, although i still cant figure out why they put that whole CDC episode in as it has had no repurcusions in this season at all.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Luke_X wrote:* They do change the whole farm section of the comics a bit, but its dealt in a way that it moves nicely onto the prison section, without ignoring characters like Hershal and Glenn for a long period like in the comics.
* showing how a 'herd' develops, which you dont see in the comics til much later.

SOLD.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Luke_X wrote:although i still cant figure out why they put that whole CDC episode in as it has had no repurcussions in this season at all.

Apart from that huge revelation in the last ten minutes, you mean?

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:26 pm

I think Game of Thrones deserved all the hype personally. The first episode was a tad overwhelming on initial watch but around half way through the second I was hooked and remained so for the entire season. I found it compelling stuff with some fantastic characters. It's one of those rare instances where I probably preferred the filmed version to the book.

The Walking Dead has been very hit and miss IMO but the final 4 episodes of season 2 were superb and give me great hope for the next. It seems the makers of it have listened to the (entirely justified) criticism, I'm quite excited about season 3.

I'm about to give The Wire a go, heard so much about it but it never really appealed.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Luke_X wrote:I'm going to watch it tonight as well. The first series had potential but it spent too long with pointless dialogue and didnt get my interest until the final episode. So if it carries on from episode 10, then I'll like it. But the hype it received wasnt justified. A lot of the promos for the first series made it out to be something it wasn't, which was disappointing. I have some hope this series will be stronger.

none of the dialogue was pointless. the series was not about big battles and was never advertised as such, it was about the politics and back stabbing. i feel it did live up to the hype.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:34 pm

We got Sky HD (with no HD tv, hilariously) today, just in time for Game Of Thrones.

Winner is me!
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Delightful-Jim wrote:We got Sky HD (with no HD tv, hilariously) today, just in time for Game Of Thrones.

Winner is me!

Not until you get your arse down to Currys and get an HD TV.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Delightful-Jim wrote:We got Sky HD (with no HD tv, hilariously) today, just in time for Game Of Thrones.

Winner is me!

Not until you get your arse down to Currys and get an HD TV.

Damn it. :(
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:32 pm

my hatred of Tyrion Lannister only grew in that first scene with Cersei. Cersei's such an interesting and compelling character. Tyrion gloats about his pain and success alike, hate him.

@Luke i swear you didn't see the same promos as anyone else because there was minimal action in them, and they called it a medieval fantasy Sopranos. not an action series.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Luke_X wrote:although i still cant figure out why they put that whole CDC episode in as it has had no repurcussions in this season at all.

Apart from that huge revelation in the last ten minutes, you mean?

Its not much of a revelation for those who've read the comics but I guess I can see how it would for those who havent read them.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:40 pm

clare-l wrote:my hatred of Tyrion Lannister only grew in that first scene with Cersei. Cersei's such an interesting and compelling character. Tyrion gloats about his pain and success alike, hate him.

@Luke i swear you didn't see the same promos as anyone else because there was minimal action in them, and they called it a medieval fantasy Sopranos. not an action series.

It just wasn't what I was expecting. It was very much a lot of waffle and talk. But now I know what to expect, I'm sure I'll enjoy it more. my criticism may be premature but I'm being open to enjoying and am looking forward to the new season.

I do still protest the promos made it look like the main focus was sean bean, which annoys me considering what happened to his character.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:43 pm

I decided to watch the first Game of Thrones season 1 promo that came up when I googled it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4PFbDxj0Fs

I note two things:

1. It looks hella action packed, so I can see Lukes point on that
2. It focuses on like every fucking character. If anything, Sean bean is in it less than others.

So yeah.

Call it a draw.

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:46 pm

the point is that you get fooled into thinking Sean Bean's the main character but he's very clearly not. it's a bait and switch. so basically you were fooled.

also i don't see how quick cutting between scenes = action but whatever.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Well, more the constant showing of swords and discussion about people marching and fighting and shite.

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:52 pm

there's literally two action scenes in the whole ten episodes so holding swords =/= action scene because it's not like they even cut the stuff from an action scene.

still watching, and Stannis/Davos is absolutely perfect. I missed them in the first season, there was so little talk of Stannis.