What made you Lol Today?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
someone else
Denim Demon

Re: What made you Lol Today?

Postby someone else » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:29 am

AnnihiSlateR wrote:
Edit: Having just googled it, I had no idea R.A.M.O.N.E.S. was a Motorhead song. You live and learn.

When they played it in Manc a few years ago, Lemmy introduced it with: "We keep trying to drop this one, but when we do another one of them dies"
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:
AnnihiSlateR wrote:My mate said someone did that to him in Fopp in Manchester when he had a Ramones shirt on. He said his mind went blank and ended up saying Beat on the Brat as it was the first track to come to mind. He said, it's not his favourite, but it did the trick as the guy didn't know what to say after that, apparently he wasn't used to people being able to answer him.

And for the record the right answer is either Bonzo Goes to Bitburg, Pet Sematary or R.A.M.O.N.E.S.

Edit: Having just googled it, I had no idea R.A.M.O.N.E.S. was a Motorhead song. You live and learn.

The first two are not overly obvious choices either seeing as they're from their later Chrysalis Records period. The number of times i've done this though and the kids have thought "Blitzkrieg Bop" is called "Hey Ho Let's Go" is hilarious. "Rock n Roll High School" is the one they get right most often, but probably because it was in a Tony Hawk game.

I think I have a minor bias as the first record i got by them and the one that cemented my liking for the was a Best of the Chrysalis Years compilation. So even if I was to extend the list to a top 5 Poison Heart would probably be in there too (and the cover of do you wanna dance for the sake of completion). I think I like their more melodic side, and as much as I love the early stuff, I never feel the studio versions convey the energy that they put across on live footage of them I've seen.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

UtopianBlaster7
Denim Demon

Postby UtopianBlaster7 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:01 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSdVLsmRZSw the greatest DJ of all time. "Kick in the beat, smell your feet"
Wise Guy

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:02 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:
AnnihiSlateR wrote:My mate said someone did that to him in Fopp in Manchester when he had a Ramones shirt on. He said his mind went blank and ended up saying Beat on the Brat as it was the first track to come to mind. He said, it's not his favourite, but it did the trick as the guy didn't know what to say after that, apparently he wasn't used to people being able to answer him.

And for the record the right answer is either Bonzo Goes to Bitburg, Pet Sematary or R.A.M.O.N.E.S.

The first two are not overly obvious choices either seeing as they're from their later Chrysalis Records period. The number of times i've done this though and the kids have thought "Blitzkrieg Bop" is called "Hey Ho Let's Go" is hilarious. "Rock n Roll High School" is the one they get right most often, but probably because it was in a Tony Hawk game.

I think I have a minor bias as the first record i got by them and the one that cemented my liking for the was a Best of the Chrysalis Years compilation. So even if I was to extend the list to a top 5 Poison Heart would probably be in there too (and the cover of do you wanna dance for the sake of completion). I think I like their more melodic side, and as much as I love the early stuff, I never feel the studio versions convey the energy that they put across on live footage of them I've seen.

Fair enough. I'd agree with you on "Poison Heart" definitely being among their best, but most of my favourites would be from the early era. Poor production values don't bother me so much with Punk though- it's why Self-Conscious Over You by The Outcasts can still be one of my favourite albums even though it sounds so weak even compared to how they sound live now, nevermind how they must have sounded in 1979.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Fliff
Warrior of Metal

Postby Fliff » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Womble wrote:Image

:lol:

Scott Ironside is brilliant!

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:13 pm

10 match ban for Suarez. Well done the FA, as ever :lol:
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Mum just told me that what I was younger and we were fixing up the house, I hit her in the head with a hammer :lol:
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:35 pm

All I can picture now is you as Maggie Simpson :lol:

It also reminds me of a story one of my ex's dad told me of waking up to find her pointing a handgun at him as a baby.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Kerrang's terribly low budget getting them very shitty copies of music videos just reared it's head again...

Metallica's I Disappear came on, but with the right hand track completely absent. The song actually sounds a fuckload better without Hammett's sampled wah noises ruining things. And James' tone sounds a lot fucking heavier, too.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:39 pm

siliconfury wrote:Kerrang's terribly low budget getting them very shitty copies of music videos just reared it's head again...

Metallica's I Disappear came on, but with the right hand track completely absent. The song actually sounds a fuckload better without Hammett's sampled wah noises ruining things. And James' tone sounds a lot fucking heavier, too.

To be fair James is the only one I actually rate even a shred anymore. I feel kind of sorry for him having to be part of the shambles that was Lulu because you just know that was Lars' idea.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:00 pm

"Geordies must be perpetually confused that 'Aldi' is not open 24 hours a day."

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 pm

kanet666 wrote:
siliconfury wrote:Kerrang's terribly low budget getting them very shitty copies of music videos just reared it's head again...

To be fair James is the only one I actually rate even a shred anymore. I feel kind of sorry for him having to be part of the shambles that was Lulu because you just know that was Lars' idea.

Not aimed at you in particular Kane, but dear god I hate that phrase, saying you "rate" something, especially as you could just add one word and say you "don't rate him highly"

Anyone else hate that too?

Just me?

okay I'll go then....
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:13 pm

I think it's a (possibly northern, as I dont know anyone not northern use it. But thats not to say they dont) coloquialism more than a well structured use a grammar. My grandad always says "I don't ratr him/her/it much" if he doesnt like someone. Certainly in the context of performance e it sport, music, film.etc. But I know a fair few people who seem to say it regularly up here, but they are inteligant folk who I can only assume, like I say, use it as a turn of phrase.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Well yeah I know it's a turn of phrase but it just sounds to me like something you'd normally hear accompanied with chavspeak for the most part
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:03 am

I have to disagree. It just seems part of the lexicon to me. I seem to hear more of the older generation using it than chavs when I think about it.