The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: The Health 'n' Fitness Thread

Postby Jobdone » Tue May 13, 2014 8:36 am

Haha, nah man it's great achievement definitely. I just loved the way it was phrased like it was a problem. "Oh man, I'm just too strong for this diving belt. What a hassle"

And thanks! God bless amazon. It does everything.

EDIT: Oh, and can you shoot me a link if you find a decent priced weight bench? I've been looking for one, considering I can't get full ROM on my bench press atm because like, I'm doing it on the floor. Which if anything might be bad for me.

Arkangel
Lowly Peon

Postby Arkangel » Thu May 15, 2014 12:31 pm

Interesting read through this thread as a newbie. Should I be expecting to see a massive amount of massive folk at Bloodstock this year? :lol:

Not into body building like most are these days, do weights in the gym 3 times a week but I do general work outs rather than targetted muscle groups and mix it in with cardio (also do 1 day a week pure cardio, try and clock an hour and a half out on my bike on a weekend and have a martial arts class once a week too so keep reasonably busy).
Don't really want to bulk up at the moment as I'm training for the London to Brighton bike ride but have been thinking about it after that. I do use protein but mostly after exercise, find its excellent for aiding recovery. Had problems with my back in the past and as I'm now in my mid 30's i've switched from being an occasional gym user in to some one who actually misses it when I don't go.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Thu May 15, 2014 8:54 pm

My right knee has been giving me gyp at night, I'll straighten it out to see if that helps but moving it ends up hurting as well. Repeat the reverse. Got to wait till next Tuesday for GP appt and I'm just getting fucked off.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri May 16, 2014 5:06 am

Booyah.

Down a stone in 4 weeks.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 am

Nice going. :yes:

If my scales are to believed I lost half a stone last week. That said I had been putting on a fair bit again lately, when I weighed myself a week last thursday I was a stone heaver than I was 3 months ago. So last week I started back on the dieting and running. I still think it seems a lot though, even though I have lost that much in a week once before.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Fri May 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Water weight?

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Fri May 16, 2014 6:15 pm

I have a gym buddy :3

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue May 20, 2014 6:53 pm

Anti-inflammatory tablet prescription plus instruction to give the knees a rest for a while, no leg day, no overhead press etc. Parade rained on somewhat.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue May 20, 2014 7:23 pm

NeglectedField wrote:Anti-inflammatory tablet prescription plus instruction to give the knees a rest for a while, no leg day, no overhead press etc. Parade rained on somewhat.

Every day is now a chest day. Bench, bench and bench some more!

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue May 20, 2014 8:06 pm

I'd need a spotter. Not actually done it before proper if I'm being totally honest!

My mate who goes to the same gyme is of the Mark Rippetoe school of weight training which doesn't focus on benching as much as deadlift or squats, owing to it being less functional or somesuch, but I guess gains made here are gains made there...

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue May 20, 2014 8:13 pm

NeglectedField wrote:I'd need a spotter. Not actually done it before proper if I'm being totally honest!

My mate who goes to the same gyme is of the Mark Rippetoe school of weight training which doesn't focus on benching as much as deadlift or squats, owing to it being less functional or somesuch, but I guess gains made here are gains made there...

When you're at the gym, literally just ask the nearest person if they'll spot you. Youd be surprised at how eager people can be to take a break from their workout.

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Tue May 20, 2014 8:45 pm

NeglectedField wrote:I'd need a spotter. Not actually done it before proper if I'm being totally honest!

I'd have to agree with your friend. Close grip benching I find more of a challenging/beneficial workout. Benching is more of a peacock display than most workouts, it's relatively easy to bench impressive numbers with a fair amount of training. But it doesn't equate to a lot of core/functional strength development.

As well as close grip benching, you cant go wrong with push-ups, there are a lot of different variations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naRaVsFn_g4

There are just some of the more extreme calisthenic based types. Fun to watch though.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue May 20, 2014 9:27 pm

metalsam wrote:Water weight?

Which way would that affect me? I've never come across the term before. I'm guessing it means I'd either have been heaver than I was the week before, or temporarily lighter than I was last week due to water?
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue May 20, 2014 9:36 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:
metalsam wrote:Water weight?

Which way would that affect me? I've never come across the term before. I'm guessing it means I'd either have been heaver than I was the week before, or temporarily lighter than I was last week due to water?

Your body retains water depending on what you ate, hormonal shit, etc etc. It can affect your weight.

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Tue May 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Your body stores a lot of sugar dissolved in water as a medium term energy stash. When you change your diet/start exercising more your body uses up the sugar and pisses out the water, usually resulting in impressive short term weight loss.