The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Dean Ambrose's promo on Monday :o
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:08 pm

WWE News: Shawn Michaels says being gay in pro wrestling is "very eighties"
WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels told TMZ that the fuss over Darren Young announcing he is gay is overblown "because gay in our business is very eighties." Shawn added that he no one thought about going on Twitter and announcing they were gay. "It doesn't matter if it was a big deal to us, it was a big deal to him," Michaels said. "I think that's good." View the video at TMZ.com

Powell's POV: Michaels also said it's "in to be gay right now." He was pretty laid back about the whole thing and was answering questions while walking through the airport.

Makes you wonder if the rumours going around all these years (first started by Bret I think) were true about Shawn going to Vince and saying he didn't want to be in The Rockers anymore and what would it take to get ahead in the WWF on his own? According to the long standing rumour HBK had to perform sexual acts on Vince, Mr. McMahon always has had a soft spot for him if you think about it.
Instant Wanker.....Just Add Beer!

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Or it could just be the fact that Michaels is an incredible wrestler? I always found those rumours ridiculous. I don't find it too much of a stretch that he made it to the top because of his talent, the same way Bret did. Or did Bret perform sexual acts on Vince as well? :rolleyes:

Summerslam wasn't great, apart from the absolutely brilliant punk/lesnar match. End of the wwe title match was good, looking forward to seeing where it goes from here., and no cena for 4-6 months, all reports say this is genuine he is taking the full time needed, shouldn't be back til close to wrestlemania.

Hammer Smashed Custard
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Hammer Smashed Custard » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Retrospectively, I wouldnt be surprised if Vince has some skeletons in his closet with regards to talent doing him 'favours' to get higher up the cards. The real shitstorm would have emerged in 1992 at the height of the steroid trail and the accusations levelled at Pat Patterson who in turn probably ended up being Vinces patsy in the whole matter.

On the upside, Summerslam was a great card to watch.

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:53 pm

Not saying it is true just said I wonder if their is any truth in the rumour seems a strange comment from him, not desputing his talent he was and still is the greatest of all time.

Can't see Bret doing favours any way everybody knows he was seeing Sunny Days!

Some of the rumours are interesting though like us the reason Vince hates Macho Man for the last 10 years of his life because he nailed an underage Stephanie ? Or simply cos he left for WCW taking a lucrative slim jim sponsorship with him ?

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:24 am

Gotta have BEEF! Gotta have SPICE! Need a little EXCITEMENT!

SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM - OHHH YEEEAAAH!
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:27 am

Was really pleased with Summerslam overall.

The ending was expected but executed well and despite now having to chase for months if it's done right it'll make Bryan a huge start.

Not to mention Bryan vs Orton, Vs Ambrose, vs Rollins will all be quality matches.

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:05 pm

Hey Los Matadores...Tito Santana called, he wants his gimmick back!

http://youtu.be/H7CbvoLFGow

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:53 pm

Has anyone been watching total divas? I hate to admit it, but its been better than impact every week :lol: although if impact had brie Bella and trinity I'd probably pay more attention :love: it also makes it even more impossible to hate John cena.

I also found it amusing how when the funkadactyls were going to split, Ariane (Cameron) somehow didn't seem to realise that would be the end of her wrestling career :lol: they are sadly staying together. Trinity (Naomi) is awesome.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:15 pm

CrappyMike wrote:Summerslam wasn't great, apart from the absolutely brilliant punk/lesnar match. End of the wwe title match was good, looking forward to seeing where it goes from here., and no cena for 4-6 months, all reports say this is genuine he is taking the full time needed, shouldn't be back til close to wrestlemania.

Christian vs Del Rio was the best WHC match since Sheamus and Bryan's 2 out of 3 falls match last year and the Rhodes vs Sandow match was stellar too. A few duds on the card as well but 4 great matches is above average for a WWE show so to me it's still been their best PPV of the year.

On Cena, I'm still calling it for a surprise return at Royal Rumble.

I haven't watched last night's RAW yet, but for anyone that hasn't make sure you watch last week's NXT and the 2/3 falls match between Cesaro and Sami Zayn. Why they made him ditch the Generico gimmick I still really don't know- if he had it he'd be ready to go to the main roster already.
Upcoming Gigs

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:

I haven't watched last night's RAW yet, but for anyone that hasn't make sure you watch last week's NXT and the 2/3 falls match between Cesaro and Sami Zayn. Why they made him ditch the Generico gimmick I still really don't know- if he had it he'd be ready to go to the main roster already.

Pretty sure I remember reading ti was due to copyright issues.

Something about he owns the character and everything associated with it and (quite rightly) didn't wanna sign it over to WWE.

Sounds a great match though, gonna try find it on Youtube later.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:32 pm

I did consider that. Vince's obsession with trademarking is well known. Sure in the 90's he even wanted to rename Vader, who had won 8 world titles elsewhere with that name, "The Juggernaut" just so he could have a bigger cut from merchandising.

What I at least think they should have done is developed a new masked gimmick based on Generico so that they could still take advantage of him in what is definitely his element, and something that could easily fit in to their PG style. That being said I'm very impressed with how he's doing wrestling without a mask for the first time in his career and with his mic skills. If I had to predict the future I'd say his main roster push will probably come from them trying to recreate Daniel Bryan's sort of larger than life/fan connection sort of persona. He's capable, but it seems like a big risk. If they force it too much it will fall flat on its face. The stars really alligned with Daniel Bryan for him to get as over as he did, and it took a few years for him to get into that groove. They might try to do the same with Zayn and then fire him if they get frustrated that it doesn't work out as well.
Upcoming Gigs

x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Postby x-tempus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:49 pm

dat suplex!
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Assuming you're talking about Cesaro's deadlift superplex on NXT, 100 wrestling nerd points to whoever can say who he borrowed that move from? :B

Also the whole idea of Shawn Michaels getting pushed by sucking off McMahon. I reeeeeally don't buy that for a second. One because I can't see Vince being interested in coercing men into sucking his dick (female referees in the back of his limo was much more his style...), and secondly there is no great mystery to how he became a main eventer- he was the best in-ring performer of his generation. Sure there was also the fact that in order to keep The Kliq from jumping ship to WCW they were given a lot of influence in how they were booked, but Kliq or no Kliq we always would have seen Shawn Michaels as WWF Champion one way or another.

I've also heard a rumour about the Kliq members spying on Pat Patterson with a gigolo and one of them (either Michaels or Nash, i'm not sure) throwing up from the sight so I can't picture Michaels as being gay then, or especially now as a born-again Christian with 2 kids.
Upcoming Gigs

x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Postby x-tempus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:47 pm

deadlift and the German suplex by D Bry on Raw, that was a genuine "holy shit" moment for me.

2 out of 3 falls was quality - don't watch wrestling anymore par the occasional clip of Impact on Challenge when I fancy a laugh, but watched the 2oo3 on recommendation and then gauntlet match from Raw
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS