TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby CrappyMike » Fri May 08, 2015 1:58 am

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Finally getting round to watching Oz and by fuck is it awesome already after just a few episodes. Not as good as The Wire mind but it's already overtaken Sopranos as my 2nd favourite HBO show. Hard to believe it's nearly 20 years old now.

Oz is amazing, you'll recognise a fair few people in it as well, including half the cast of dexter :lol:

JamieH
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby JamieH » Mon May 11, 2015 12:47 pm

Randomly started watching Halt and Catch Fire on US Netflix last night. Wasn't expecting much, just something to pass an hour or two while bored on Sunday evening, half of season 1 later I quite like it. AMC series about the PC boom, a couple guys trying to figure out the BIOS from IMB's machines and making their own, etc etc. I'm shite at describing TV shows/movies so here's a link to IMDB..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543312/

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Mon May 11, 2015 9:04 pm

STOP GETTING GAME OF THRONES WRONGGG

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue May 12, 2015 1:09 am

I have absolutely no idea (nor do I even remotely care) how this series of Game of Thrones is differing to the books, but it's easily the most boring season so far.
The latest episode could easily have been trimmed down by a good fifteen minutes. Fat bloke and his missus are back to being annoyingly dull and crap again, Jon Snow's boy servant clearly needs an acting coach, and why have we completely forgotten Brann's storyline?

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Tue May 12, 2015 6:46 am

Bran's story is essentially where the books are at right now so unless Martin gets off his ass and finishes the next book before next season comes out, I can't imagine us seeing Bran for a while. In terms of the season itself, if it were to stick to the books entirely, it'd be even more boring than it has been so far. If I'm right, the book focused entirely on female characters and was a fucking task to finish. :lol:

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Tue May 12, 2015 7:48 am

Need to catch up (watch) Game of Thrones season 5, I'm kind of spent with it at the moment but I think that's because I actively disliked A Dance of Dragons.

Also Daredevil, oof that was good!

Why did it take me so long to realise that the main bad guy (remianing nameless to avoid spoilers) was Pvt Pile in Full Metal Jacket?
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Tue May 12, 2015 8:34 am

Ensorcelled wrote:STOP GETTING GAME OF THRONES WRONGGG

:lol: I guess we'll not be seeing a certain knight and his 'son' in the TV adaptation then, considering that Mormont has displaced that whole plotline. I'm somewhat disappointed by that.

I guess the show writers decided that the audience couldn't handle new characters being brought into the story.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue May 12, 2015 8:44 am

WorMzy wrote:
Ensorcelled wrote:STOP GETTING GAME OF THRONES WRONGGG

:lol: I guess we'll not be seeing a certain knight and his 'son' in the TV adaptation then, considering that Mormont has displaced that whole plotline. I'm somewhat disappointed by that.

I guess the show writers decided that the audience couldn't handle new characters being brought into the story.

That "son" bit really annoyed me in the books, i'm glad they cut it out. And why did they have to kill Barristan Selmy :(
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue May 12, 2015 10:16 am

Isn't there another thread for all this Games Of Thrones shite?
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed May 13, 2015 12:06 pm

Also Spoiler warnings would be appreciated. I mean I've read the book s but still...
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed May 13, 2015 12:30 pm

My understanding was that the TV series would likely overtake the books and possibly end up spoiling those who've been reading it all these years! Martin has apparently told the makers of the TV show how it all ends. I've only ever read the first book and wasn't terribly impressed with it so I just stuck to the show. It's a slow burner this year but I'm enjoying it still.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed May 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Bisset wrote:Also Spoiler warnings would be appreciated. I mean I've read the book s but still...

That's what I meant. Not that the programme itself is shite. There was a thread for the discussion of GOT which seems to have disappeared into the void.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:46 pm

I've been quite enjoying GoT this season, despite the slowing of the plot. There is still plenty going on and the dialogue is as witty and entertaining as ever.

Other things I've been watching:
Gotham: Binge watched the series after finally getting into it and absolutely loved every second. There's part of me hoping that after a couple of series they move ont a "Year Zero" kind of thing, but unfortunately I don't see that as likely.

Constantine: Only three episodes in. I really like the character and the actors portrayal so far, but for some reason there's something not clicking just yet.

Dardevil: First episode was excellent, shall be watching the rest once I get a moment.

Also, I've been reading the comics for The Walking Dead that I recently acquired from another forumer. If the TV series followed the comics a bit more closely it would be so much more enthralling.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu May 14, 2015 7:03 am

kanet666 wrote:Gotham: Binge watched the series after finally getting into it and absolutely loved every second. There's part of me hoping that after a couple of series they move ont a "Year Zero" kind of thing, but unfortunately I don't see that as likely.

Constantine: Only three episodes in. I really like the character and the actors portrayal so far, but for some reason there's something not clicking just yet.

Dardevil: First episode was excellent, shall be watching the rest once I get a moment.

Also, I've been reading the comics for The Walking Dead that I recently acquired from another forumer. If the TV series followed the comics a bit more closely it would be so much more enthralling.

I thought Gotham was rubbish, gave up on it after half a dozen episodes and the sort of reviews it got since hasn't tempted me back. Constantine showed a lot of potential but never quite realised it. Matt Ryan nailed the central character though, would have liked to have seen another season.

Daredevil was superb.

I'm a big fan of both the comics and TV series of TWD. I really like the fact the show has deviated from the book, it's only a loose adaptation really. As someone who's already read it all the tv series keeps me surprised. It drags at times but at its best is one of the best things on.

The finale of Agents of Shield season two was brilliant. This show has undergone a remarkable improvement.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu May 14, 2015 8:10 am

Soze wrote:The finale of Agents of Shield season two was brilliant. This show has undergone a remarkable improvement.

Agreed, although the improvement started as far back as the mid-way point in the first season.