What made you Lol Today?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Drugged_unholy
Leather Rebel

Re: What made you Lol Today?

Postby Drugged_unholy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Noodle wrote:
Twaddlefish wrote:
You're all missing the point. Someone tell me what the AV system is without looking.

There is a list of choices. you choose your first preference by writing '1'. You then put '2' next to your next choice, and so on until you've put a number next to all the options. Some number crunching is done and the winner, I believe, must take more than 50% of the vote. I may be wrong with the winning figure though. I don't think it works though. It allows for 'tactical voting' far more than the current 'first past the post' system used currently

Almost there.

After the first preferences are counted, if one candidate has over 50% of the vote they get in. If no candidate has over 50% of the vote, then the candidate with the least amount of votes is eliminated and his/her votes are re-allocated according the second preference expressed on those votes (if any). If somebody now has 50% of the vote they get in. If not the process repeats itself with the least popular remaining candidate being eliminated and his/her votes re-distributed according to second or third preferences (third if the first 2 are those eliminated). This continues until one candidate has over 50% of the vote, although it is unlikely to go beyond round 1 and 2.

I won't bother de-railing the thread further, other than saying that both you and twaddle-fish are wrong - it enables less tactical voting and less "We don't want X in so we'll vote for Y" than present because it means people can vote for a small party without fear that the opposition to an unpopular incumbent will be split and allowing MPs to be elected on 20-25% support with the other 75% hating them but failing to agree on who to replace them. This is also the reason MPs in the 2/3 of seats that never change hands at the moment hate it, as it would probably reduce safe seats to 1/3. Also, despite what the no campaign is going to say, it is not a proportional type system.

(and if you think the above is complicated, remember that most opponents of FPTP actually prefer the Single Transferable Vote system)

Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:55 pm

Uni trip to Whitby being complete shit (it pissed down all day, town was dead) ... took 2 and a half hours each way to get there/back... and the surge of complaining facebook updates from people on my course. Was quite a crap day in all fairness but funny seeing everyone looking displeased and moist :lol:
RedTeamWins wrote:
Turbo wrote:I presented the goods and I got no reply. Good job this isnt ebay.

A+++ EXCELLENT MOOBS, WOULD VIEW AGAIN.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Mate, his ex and said ex's new boyfriend bickering over an undelivered gift. Nerds.

Also what the shit is going on with this Thaurorod video? Warriors? Bananas? Factories?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DmO03db-QU

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:01 am

Twaddlefish wrote:^Both of you can vote on this.

TBH, I think our current system is the best of a bad set of options, as it's one of the only ones that allows an effective majority government. AV will just exacerbate the ''We don't want X in so we'll vote for Y" problem, and PR will just created a 3 parties of around a 40/30/20 mix with a 10% independent.

AV beats current, and PR beats AV

end of
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:02 am

BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Womble
Denim Demon

Postby Womble » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:18 am

Danroush wrote:

TBH, I think our current system is the best of a bad set of options, as it's one of the only ones that allows an effective majority government. AV will just exacerbate the ''We don't want X in so we'll vote for Y" problem, and PR will just created a 3 parties of around a 40/30/20 mix with a 10% independent.

end of

Wow Dan, thanks for your expert opinion here. Where would we be without your years of wisdom?

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:38 am

I say we go back to rotten boroughs.
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

uber_scran
Consort of the Beast

Postby uber_scran » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:46 am

Just watching Supernanny. Baby P was the wrong victim.

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:49 am

Danroush wrote:

end of

If you like governments that'll get fuck all done, then yes.
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.

Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

corrupt_toolbox
Denim Demon

Postby corrupt_toolbox » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:36 am

Finnvitka wrote:I say we go back to rotten boroughs.

I'm inspired to watch that first bit of Blackadder the Third again now :lol:

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:37 am

So what's a robber button?
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:52 am

Twaddlefish wrote:
Danroush wrote:

end of

You can't reply Alex, he said end of already, that means it isn't open for discussion D:

Praise be his 12 years of life experience!

wintermourn
Denim Demon

Postby wintermourn » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:39 pm

NeglectedField wrote:
Also what the shit is going on with this Thaurorod video? Warriors? Bananas? Factories?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DmO03db-QU

i liked that till the vocals, probably cause i was expecting harsh vocals and got let down :( lol
Jobdone wrote:I kissed a decent amount of men last night.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Weird advertising agencies thinking that blowing people up is going to encourage people to take action on climate change

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx4yr0FFhMQ
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:25 pm

herzeleid wrote:
Twaddlefish wrote:
Danroush wrote:

end of

You can't reply Alex, he said end of already, that means it isn't open for discussion D:

Praise be his 12 years of life experience!

Oh hilarious sam, you can't think of a vaild argument against PR so you mock that i'm younger than you, in turn making yourself the childish one

Whether they'll get much done or not isn't a valid argument, as you're implying you'd rather have the wrong people in power just because they make decisions faster. Also, if you don't agree with the people who voted bnp or ukip, that's not a reason to weigh the voting system against them, they should have won some seats in parliament this election, just as how the lib dems should have got more seats.

How is 45% of the public's vote earning 13% of the seats a fair system? and yes those stats are right
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1