Noodle wrote:Twaddlefish wrote:
You're all missing the point. Someone tell me what the AV system is without looking.
There is a list of choices. you choose your first preference by writing '1'. You then put '2' next to your next choice, and so on until you've put a number next to all the options. Some number crunching is done and the winner, I believe, must take more than 50% of the vote. I may be wrong with the winning figure though. I don't think it works though. It allows for 'tactical voting' far more than the current 'first past the post' system used currently
After the first preferences are counted, if one candidate has over 50% of the vote they get in. If no candidate has over 50% of the vote, then the candidate with the least amount of votes is eliminated and his/her votes are re-allocated according the second preference expressed on those votes (if any). If somebody now has 50% of the vote they get in. If not the process repeats itself with the least popular remaining candidate being eliminated and his/her votes re-distributed according to second or third preferences (third if the first 2 are those eliminated). This continues until one candidate has over 50% of the vote, although it is unlikely to go beyond round 1 and 2.
I won't bother de-railing the thread further, other than saying that both you and twaddle-fish are wrong - it enables less tactical voting and less "We don't want X in so we'll vote for Y" than present because it means people can vote for a small party without fear that the opposition to an unpopular incumbent will be split and allowing MPs to be elected on 20-25% support with the other 75% hating them but failing to agree on who to replace them. This is also the reason MPs in the 2/3 of seats that never change hands at the moment hate it, as it would probably reduce safe seats to 1/3. Also, despite what the no campaign is going to say, it is not a proportional type system.
(and if you think the above is complicated, remember that most opponents of FPTP actually prefer the Single Transferable Vote system)