What's freaking you out?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:04 pm

No D:

Up until this point it hadn't really sunk in because I've been living away from home and I don't think my brother notices things like that. I'd only really mentioned it to Jamie for that reason but I just felt like venting today.

I think ringing Macmillan would scare me because it makes it seem way more real.... So I think i'll wait until she's had her operation and see what happens next.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 pm

With the risk of being too blunt, since I'm lucky enough to have never gone through the experience myself, I'll leave it with just the advice to keep it in mind, and I'm sorry that it's happening to you.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 pm

:( Sorry for everything your family's going through.

Talk to her about how she's feeling and how you're feeling too - she's clearly anxious about her operation (perhaps she's cleaning obsessively in order to avoid getting more ill?), and it could be good for her to know that you're there to talk to, especially because you've been away.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks guys.

I have tried, but I know she worries about me a lot and I don't think she wants to worry me further so she puts up a bit of a front. I've texted her boyfriend about it though as he's coming over tonight so hopefully she can talk to him.

She cleans a lot anyway but I think she does it even more when she's stressed, it's probably super mild OCD or something but she definitely does it more when something's on her mind.

I dunno, I guess i'm not really expecting an answer that will solve it, I just wanted to vent about it since I don't want to worry her by mentioning it to her.

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Its not something easy to deal with in the slightest but it is real and avoiding it won't change that. Speaking to Macmillan about it and getting advice from them, maybe seeing if they have a local rep who can come round and talk to your mum about it (with her approval, of course), will make coping with it easier for all involved. Seeking advice, being afraid and being worried is nothing to be ashamed of and there are people you can talk to that deal with this sort of thing everyday. I'm not saying it is going to be easy for you or your mother but talking to someone can give her the reassurances she needs in order to ease any worries and it will enable you to give her the right sort of support she needs.

I'm not just making this shit up either. There are very few people I have been close to in my family but my nan was one of them and we went through this when she got cancer. I also have an uncle that has cancer again and he is in amazing spirits about it all, positive he is going to kick the shit out of it, and support from the right places has allowed that.
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Azubi wrote:Its not something easy to deal with in the slightest but it is real and avoiding it won't change that. Speaking to Macmillan about it and getting advice from them, maybe seeing if they have a local rep who can come round and talk to your mum about it (with her approval, of course), will make coping with it easier for all involved. Seeking advice, being afraid and being worried is nothing to be ashamed of and there are people you can talk to that deal with this sort of thing everyday. I'm not saying it is going to be easy for you or your mother but talking to someone can give her the reassurances she needs in order to ease any worries and it will enable you to give her the right sort of support she needs.

I'm not just making this shit up either. There are very few people I have been close to in my family but my nan was one of them and we went through this when she got cancer. I also have an uncle that has cancer again and he is in amazing spirits about it all, positive he is going to kick the shit out of it, and support from the right places has allowed that.

Yeah, talking is definitely a good idea but I think i'd rather talk to my mum/brother about it than a stranger, that'd feel too much like counseling for me.

I'm really close with my brother and we can talk about it, the night I found out he rang my after my mum told me and explained it fully and reassured me so I'm glad I have him, the only problem is he is insanely optimistic in every aspect in life including this so a lot of the will just brush it off.

My mum's dad has inoperable cancer in is spine so at least she can relate to my position too, I guess. Plus her chances are really good for this, the main concern being that the chances of it coming back in 5-10 years are really high, and now I'm at higher risk of it too.

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions though, I love this forum sometimes :luv:

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 pm

Annabel, sending many hugs to you! The guys above have given you some great advice, and I hope things get better very soon. x

What's freaking me out? Being on my own for the first time in over a week - it all feels really strange now. D:

malicious_bloke
Consort of the Beast

Postby malicious_bloke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:38 pm

There's a statistically improbable number of paedo mustaches wandering around today. I think the wet weather is causing them to multiply or something.

There's no 'I' in snuffly

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Who's fucking idea was this?

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:37 pm

People really will Instragram anything these days.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Ensorcelled wrote:People really will Instragram anything these days.

Bloody hipsters. "Oh, these baby slippers? It's not paedophilic, it's ironic"

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:41 pm

My boss has been very short with me recently, since New Year. Dunno what I've done; it's probably more to do with her mum being poorly (with cancer IIRC) and the stress involved in that.

Not like I'm going to ask another colleague tomorrow to clarify or anything.... because I am if I remember.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Can you actually instagram a none square image though?
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:29 pm

NeglectedField wrote:Who's fucking idea was this?

Him out of Lost Prophets?
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Someone a couple of years my junior who used to have an obsessive crush on me is engaged. Yet another of the Blackburn youth with an unstable home/social life who has got to this point very early. Unfortunately a large percentage of the time it all ends in tears (from what I've seen at least).
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry