What's freaking you out?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Turbo
Denim Demon

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby Turbo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 am

It's pretty easy to do if you're not that attached to your family and friends. I have a very good relationship with my dad, don't often see eye to eye with my mum but that's that really, but between the two of them I have seen then twice in the last year and my dad only just recently. What has made this move hard for me is that I have no family or friends here, no life, no nothing. My family and friends are not just a 2 hour drive away from home they are 620 miles away. Put it into UK perspective this distance, it's like living in Plymouth and having your family live in Aberdeen. I was keen to move last year, but that keenness has been on steady decline ever since. Germany - great place to visit, not my thing to live.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Turbo wrote:It's pretty easy to do if you're not that attached to your family and friends.

This is how I realised I was totally up for moving to another country. I moved out of my dad's house in 2008 and haven't been back. I live 250 miles away, and James is even further from his parents in Scotland. We have no family nearby. And it's not as if we're popping round to see our friends constantly, either. I mean yeah, it would suck being in another country and not being able to bomb down the motorway to see people on a weekend, but places like the Netherlands and Germany are so accessible from the UK I think the infrequency of visits would be pretty much the same as it is now. The only thing that slightly concerns me is getting a job in a foreign country where my language skills won't be perfect, but maybe that's not a huge problem in north-west Europe as it would be in Asia or central/eastern Europe.

I just find myself wanting to live in the UK less and less. Maybe once we've done up the house in a few years and can sell it on I'll be fired up and ready to go.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Yeah if I had a car and an endless supply of cash my mind set may well be different. Yeah it is a 12 hour trip back, but its very much drivable. Left to my devices id be in the car (if I had it) tomorrow as soon as I finished school, get home for midnight and be at the piss up in London on Saturday. As it is, the cash I have now will just about last me until 19th September when my dad is here with the car. Then I am his baggage.

Still I have done rather well, considering I don't owe a penny to anyone and haven't claimed anything in JSA from either England or Germany. #thingstobeproudof

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 pm

I do really feel for you to be fair, especially after your break up. I feel homesick here due to having no friends/family aside from Chris. I know if we broke up I'd just move home again, but I can't imagine how shitty it is when you have responsibilities keeping you there for the next couple of months.

Keeping looking forward anyway! :)

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Beginning to think it was a dumb idea staying here to do this exam. Don't think ill pass it and it'll be a waste of cash. Cheers anyway, I hope these two months go really quickly.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:15 pm

What's your intentions when you get back?

When you feel crap and hating the place you currently live in (like your situation) it's usually because you've lost track of what you actually wanted to do (when you first moved out to Germany).

Form a plan or when you get back (or make forming that plan your plan) otherwise you'll just wind up hating England again.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:04 pm

I never really hated England to be honest. I think aside from my girlfriend at the time being German id have never moved away. Initially I am going to be delivering vehicles to get a bit of cash in with an ultimate goal of putting a deposit down on a house. I don't hate Germany, and if I gave that impression then that is false. I will continue to come here on holidays most likely, because I actually do like speaking in German when I can, even if it is broken nonsense, people really appreciate it and that's enough for me to continue. Yeah as I say, was only to be with the girl I loved and yeah that didn't work out so back I go.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:09 pm

As of 15:20 today (or tomorrow for you UK fags) I have been in Germany for exactly a year, excluding a week where I was briefly back in England. God...

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:10 pm

The youngest person at work is leaving. That means I'm now the youngest person. How is that possible.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Bizza
Paster of Muppets

Postby Bizza » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Moving, so much shit to sort out. All on top of Bloodstock preparations. Fun times.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19, '21, '22, '23.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:21 pm

Bizza wrote:Moving, so much shit to sort out. All on top of Bloodstock preparations. Fun times.

This! And it's the second time i've done it as well!
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Fjar wrote:The youngest person at work is leaving. That means I'm now the youngest person. How is that possible.
Logic not your strong point?
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Purple n Batty
Consort of the Beast

Postby Purple n Batty » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:17 pm

Bitch of a boss was being really nice and human to us today. Very strange.

darknightofthesoul
Definitely Not Nu

Postby darknightofthesoul » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Friend coming from Italy to spend the weekend. Then BOA next week. Then off overseas on holidays for the rest of the month.

Somehow I'm struggling to find time to organise my life :S

Apart from a slight panic, it actually feels good to be that busy :)