What's freaking you out?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:49 pm

CrapyMike wrote:and in a few years someone will disprove his theory.

You are aware that this is how science works?

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:53 pm

CrapyMike wrote:i should have known better than to expect any of you to actually know anything about the subject :lol:
the simple explanation that i would use for a child is that the two sides of her brain cant communicate properly, so the right side of her brain is getting the wrong signals and making the left side of her body do things she doesnt want to do. :yes:

So you're agreeing that both sides of the brain communicate independently? Which is what the article initially suggested?
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:58 pm

yes, i am. but if you back and read the last page properly, you'll see that i said i dont believe his theory, at which point ben decided to show that he knows absolutely nothing about science whatsoever, so i explained it to him. :yes:

not really james, the part i take issue with is "Experiments like this led Sperry to conclude that "each hemisphere is a conscious system in its own right, perceiving, thinking, remembering, reasoning, willing, and emoting"." implying that each side of the brain is capable of concious thought. they arent, for reasons i have already stated. you need to understand that you are the result of your brain being capable of concious thought. so if both sides were concious systems in there own right, you would only be in control of one side of your body.
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

http://www.last.fm/user/CrappyMike

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:01 pm

CrapyMike wrote:yes, i am. but if you back and read the last page properly, you'll see that i said i dont believe his theory, at which point ben decided to show that he knows absolutely nothing about science whatsoever, so i explained it to him. :yes:

You're going about in the best possible way and I'm sure he's reading this when it's published in the finest jounals. Can we have MSPaint diagrams as well? :lol:

Womble
Denim Demon

Postby Womble » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:14 pm

CrapyMike wrote:yes, i am. but if you back and read the last page properly, you'll see that i said i dont believe his theory, at which point ben decided to show that he knows absolutely nothing about science whatsoever, so i explained it to him. :yes:

But the different of me and you MikeRoush, is that I don't claim scientific knowledge on par with someone who's actually qualified.

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:19 pm

you believe qualifications matter, which they dont. which is the real difference between me and you. its to be expected seeing as your qualifications are your only hope of a decent job, but i know people with no qualifications who i know as a fact know more about their field of work than people who have relevant degrees. qualifications stop getting you jobs after a while as well, as experience is much more important. i have an interest in biology, and while i have no desire to go to uni and study it, i keep myself up to date with it in my free time. stop over estimating the importance of qualifications.
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:22 pm

CrapyMike wrote: stop over estimating the importance of qualifications.

My clients disagree.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Dear Mike,

If we're talking about scientific debate (which Ben is - he's talking about the scientist's qualifications, not his own), the qualifications of a scientist do matter simply because they're more well versed in science than you are, being a non-scientist. It would be like saying I'm more qualified to talk about restaurants than Gordon Ramsey despite the fact I've only ever been a waiter and never owned a restaurant.

Hope that clears things up. Yours sincerely,
Common Sense

P.S. Apologies about my absence, I've been in the Canaries!

Womble
Denim Demon

Postby Womble » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:28 pm

CrapyMike wrote:you believe qualifications matter, which they dont. which is the real difference between me and you. its to be expected seeing as your qualifications are your only hope of a decent job, but i know people with no qualifications who i know as a fact know more about their field of work than people who have relevant degrees. qualifications stop getting you jobs after a while as well, as experience is much more important. i have an interest in biology, and while i have no desire to go to uni and study it, i keep myself up to date with it in my free time. stop over estimating the importance of qualifications.

Let me rephrase that then.

I believe that someone who has spent their life studying the brain knows a wee bit more about it than 19 year old who works in Sainsbury's.

Better?

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:29 pm

My friend is apparently dragging me to a Liverpool meet-up of people. From the Internet. I can't wait to spend the evening with a bunch of hambeasts who's basis of conversation will most likely start with "Did you read on reddit..."

I hear a place we're going does triple vodka red bulls though. That'll help.

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Womble wrote:
CrapyMike wrote:you believe qualifications matter, which they dont. which is the real difference between me and you. its to be expected seeing as your qualifications are your only hope of a decent job, but i know people with no qualifications who i know as a fact know more about their field of work than people who have relevant degrees. qualifications stop getting you jobs after a while as well, as experience is much more important. i have an interest in biology, and while i have no desire to go to uni and study it, i keep myself up to date with it in my free time. stop over estimating the importance of qualifications.

Let me rephrase that then.

I believe that someone who has spent their life studying the brain knows a wee bit more about it than 19 year old who works in Sainsbury's.

Better?

no, its not better. you're assuming that just because he has qualifications, he knows what hes talking about. thats so unbelievably idiotic that i cant believe you think like that, because i've never really got the impression that you're stupid. it boggles the mind how you can just believe what someone with qualifications says simply because they have qualifications. im technically a qualified IT support technician, but im far from being capable of fixing the majority of software problems. im far from being a qualified scientist, but i know enough to have been able to give scientific reasons why i dont believe his theory, unlike everybody else in this thread. all of you are just going "you have no qualifications so therefore you know nothing on the subject". which is so untrue its hilarious. there are so many people who go through a course and forget everything, then revise like hell to pass the exam, that i just have no faith in the assumption that a qualification means that person is knowledgable

how about you do a bit of research on the brain and then try discussing it with me

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:16 pm

If you read the article, you'll see that there was a scientific experiment to show that the two sides of the brain appear have seperate consciousness and appear to be mediated. When the mediating part of the brain is removed, they appear to act independantly of each other. Fucking retard.

As for qualifications, you realise that the way someone becomes qualified is to research and study a subject before being examined? A qualification tells you how much someone knows about a subject.

Can someone post that "My mind is full of fuck" image with Jackie chan please?

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:19 pm

That diatribe was hilarious.

mcroper
Paster of Muppets

Postby mcroper » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:50 pm

metalsam wrote:If you read the article, you'll see that there was a scientific experiment to show that the two sides of the brain appear have seperate consciousness and appear to be mediated. When the mediating part of the brain is removed, they appear to act independantly of each other. Fucking retard.

As for qualifications, you realise that the way someone becomes qualified is to research and study a subject before being examined? A qualification tells you how much someone knows about a subject.

Can someone post that "My mind is full of fuck" image with Jackie chan please?

There you go buddy :lol:

Also Mikeroush has no idea, the two parts of the brain have separate consciousness. I've learnt about this in A Level psychology and specifically about alien hand syndrome..

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:21 pm

I was going to make a sensible point about the workings of the human brain, but then realised I know jack shit about the workings of the human brain and decided to post this instead.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!