What's freaking you out?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
sugarmouse
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Kirklees

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby sugarmouse » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:44 pm

I'm flying to Cyprus this time next week.

I ****ing HATE flying. Keep scaring myself thinking about plane crashes.
We're all ****ed. It helps to remember this.

User avatar
MetalBeast
Denim Demon
Posts: 8928
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:44 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby MetalBeast » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:07 pm

sugarmouse wrote:I'm flying to Cyprus this time next week.

I ****ing HATE flying. Keep scaring myself thinking about plane crashes.


Get someone to put drugs in your milk like wot they do with BA Baracus in the A-Team.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

sugarmouse
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Kirklees

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby sugarmouse » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:08 pm

MetalBeast wrote:
sugarmouse wrote:I'm flying to Cyprus this time next week.

I ****ing HATE flying. Keep scaring myself thinking about plane crashes.


Get someone to put drugs in your milk like wot they do with BA Baracus in the A-Team.



I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind...
We're all ****ed. It helps to remember this.

User avatar
Applecore
Denim Demon
Posts: 9555
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby Applecore » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:53 am

darknightofthesoul wrote:
Applecore wrote:When I went to Australia, I sold my car to a friend of the family. They said they'd deal with the paperwork, and so I left it. I had a bit of mail sent to me from my old flatmate after I'd been in Oz for a little while and in there was a letter from the DVLA saying someone had registered my car in their name, and if I didn't respond then they'd just change the details over to the new driver.

Today, my old flatmate gave me a pile of mail that had arrived since then (he hadn't forwarded any more, nor had he told me I'd got letters from the DVLA turn up), in there are letters from the DVLA saying that my failure to tell them I'd sold the car has incurred a charge. Another saying I'd failed to pay the charge and asking me to explain why in court, and a third saying I need to pay them £310 by the 10th of July.
Obviously I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow morning to explain myself, but one of the "pay by 10th of July or else the following" options was imprisonment/being arrested. Over a matter like this, I think that's a bit extreme, but fucking hell I'm worried now.


Oh my, hope things turn out alright.

Yeah, they tend to send these letters with threatening tones, all gov departments etc.

I still remember the first time I got a TV license letter, it made me feel like a criminal!

Yeah, that's exactly it. Somehow they made me feel like I'd done something really bad haha.

thehairyone wrote:
Applecore wrote:When I went to Australia, I sold my car to a friend of the family. They said they'd deal with the paperwork, and so I left it. I had a bit of mail sent to me from my old flatmate after I'd been in Oz for a little while and in there was a letter from the DVLA saying someone had registered my car in their name, and if I didn't respond then they'd just change the details over to the new driver.

Today, my old flatmate gave me a pile of mail that had arrived since then (he hadn't forwarded any more, nor had he told me I'd got letters from the DVLA turn up), in there are letters from the DVLA saying that my failure to tell them I'd sold the car has incurred a charge. Another saying I'd failed to pay the charge and asking me to explain why in court, and a third saying I need to pay them £310 by the 10th of July.
Obviously I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow morning to explain myself, but one of the "pay by 10th of July or else the following" options was imprisonment/being arrested. Over a matter like this, I think that's a bit extreme, but fucking hell I'm worried now.


My supervisor had this exact issue. There's plenty more on car forums but they won't do fuck all about chasing you up on that money. It's just a scaremongering attempt to get some cash out of you that they can't enforce. Usually when it comes to a court date you'll turn up to be told that they've that very morning decided to drop all charges.

Yeah I phoned them first thing Monday morning. After a call that fleeced my entire credit, it ended with me booking myself in on Thursday to make a "statutory declaration" that I wasn't in the country and didn't receive the letters. Then it'll get handed back to DVLA (who should now have my Aussie address) who'll then decide where to go from there - their options being:
1- Re-summons me (unlikely as they'll know I live in Australia)
2- Re-fine me
3- Drop it all.

Hoping for the third, but would understand if it was the second - I should have SORN'd my car before I left and not left it to someone else. I should have also chased my old flatmate more for my mail.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

User avatar
thehairyone
Denim Demon
Posts: 5423
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: The badger sett
Contact:

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby thehairyone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:38 am

MetalBeast wrote:
sugarmouse wrote:I'm flying to Cyprus this time next week.

I ****ing HATE flying. Keep scaring myself thinking about plane crashes.


Get someone to put drugs in your milk like wot they do with BA Baracus in the A-Team.


It's well known that some airline cabin crew will put a couple of drops of gin in baby milk if they're asked to warm it and the baby is being noisy...



Craig - good luck dealing with the bureaucratic gobshites!
Image

Image
Image

Turbo
Denim Demon
Posts: 14065
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 3:05 pm
Location: Solihull, WM.
Contact:

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby Turbo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:06 am

I just signed all the responsibility of my car over to my Dad. He's saved his self a few bob not driving the Sorento around, serviced it, MOTed it, and it's there after a phone call to the insurance company for me to pick up and frag the bollocks off once I am back.

User avatar
darknightofthesoul
Definitely Not Nu
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:31 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby darknightofthesoul » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:38 am

sugarmouse wrote:
MetalBeast wrote:
sugarmouse wrote:I'm flying to Cyprus this time next week.

I ****ing HATE flying. Keep scaring myself thinking about plane crashes.


Get someone to put drugs in your milk like wot they do with BA Baracus in the A-Team.



I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind...


I'll be flying this Saturday. My longest flight ever (4h +) and not looking forward to it.

This one time, I had such a bad panic attack that out of despair I drunk some wine on top of the Anxiolytic pills I had taken. It was disastrous! I completely lost control of what I was doing. I started laughing and crying at the same time and I couldn't stop it.
Also, embarrassed my boyfriend.

My strategy now is to take lots of silly series or films on my iPad and watch it through the flight. Adventure Time often helps me.
Image

sugarmouse
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Kirklees

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby sugarmouse » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:59 am

darknightofthesoul wrote:
sugarmouse wrote:I'm flying to Cyprus this time next week.

I ****ing HATE flying. Keep scaring myself thinking about plane crashes.


Get someone to put drugs in your milk like wot they do with BA Baracus in the A-Team.



I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind...[/quote]

I'll be flying this Saturday. My longest flight ever (4h +) and not looking forward to it.

This one time, I had such a bad panic attack that out of despair I drunk some wine on top of the Anxiolytic pills I had taken. It was disastrous! I completely lost control of what I was doing. I started laughing and crying at the same time and I couldn't stop it.
Also, embarrassed my boyfriend.

My strategy now is to take lots of silly series or films on my iPad and watch it through the flight. Adventure Time often helps me.[/quote]

Ugh that doesn't sound pretty! I was considering taking some sleeping pills before boarding and just trying to sleep until landing time!

Yes this is four hours 50 mins or something. I went to Majorca last year and got drunk on the plane and that was only 1hr 40 mins!

That is a good idea though. I don't have an IPAD but I could get some stuff to put on my phone.
We're all ****ed. It helps to remember this.

Turbo
Denim Demon
Posts: 14065
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 3:05 pm
Location: Solihull, WM.
Contact:

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby Turbo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:34 pm

You'll be alright provided you're not flying with Malaysia airlines.


I don't like flying because there is nothing to do. I read occasionally, but most of the time it's music on playing Klondike on my ipod. Then you get off the plane and wait forever for your sodding luggage. Cyprus ill admit is a bit on the far side and an island, but most places I am interested in going to on my jollies, I just look at and think...I can drive that. Most likely will in future too.



Edit: I don't know why I thought you were going to Greece. Hahaha.
Last edited by Turbo on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby Jobdone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:36 pm

I've only ever done flights to France or Amsterdam which are about 10 minutes.

Couldn't imagine being on the fucker for 4 hours though. Bout kill myself out of boredom.
Image

User avatar
darknightofthesoul
Definitely Not Nu
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:31 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby darknightofthesoul » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Yes this is four hours 50 mins or something. I went to Majorca last year and got drunk on the plane and that was only 1hr 40 mins!

That is a good idea though. I don't have an IPAD but I could get some stuff to put on my phone.


I wish I could sleep. I've tried sleeping pills before. They weren't working so I took twice the recommended dose. Still nothing. Got extremely sleepy, but wouldn't actually fall sleep.
However, once we landed I collapsed while waiting for the luggage. Another embarrassing moment...
Image

User avatar
keera_envenomed
Denim Demon
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Brizzle

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Jobdone wrote:I've only ever done flights to France or Amsterdam which are about 10 minutes.

Couldn't imagine being on the fucker for 4 hours though. Bout kill myself out of boredom.


Try 13 and a half hours and the only thing you can see out of the window is Siberia. That was boring. At least the food is good on Air France.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

User avatar
darknightofthesoul
Definitely Not Nu
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:31 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby darknightofthesoul » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:13 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:
Jobdone wrote:I've only ever done flights to France or Amsterdam which are about 10 minutes.

Couldn't imagine being on the fucker for 4 hours though. Bout kill myself out of boredom.


Try 13 and a half hours and the only thing you can see out of the window is Siberia. That was boring. At least the food is good on Air France.


Oh my, where were you going to?

If only my problem was boredom... I could easily go through 13 hours and keep myself entertained. It's the panic attacks that f*ck everything up :(
Image

User avatar
keera_envenomed
Denim Demon
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Brizzle

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 pm

darknightofthesoul wrote:
keera_envenomed wrote:
Jobdone wrote:I've only ever done flights to France or Amsterdam which are about 10 minutes.

Couldn't imagine being on the fucker for 4 hours though. Bout kill myself out of boredom.


Try 13 and a half hours and the only thing you can see out of the window is Siberia. That was boring. At least the food is good on Air France.


Oh my, where were you going to?

If only my problem was boredom... I could easily go through 13 hours and keep myself entertained. It's the panic attacks that f*ck everything up :(


I went to Japan. Was totally worth it :)
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

sugarmouse
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Kirklees

Re: What's freaking you out?

Postby sugarmouse » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:14 pm

darknightofthesoul wrote:
Yes this is four hours 50 mins or something. I went to Majorca last year and got drunk on the plane and that was only 1hr 40 mins!

That is a good idea though. I don't have an IPAD but I could get some stuff to put on my phone.


I wish I could sleep. I've tried sleeping pills before. They weren't working so I took twice the recommended dose. Still nothing. Got extremely sleepy, but wouldn't actually fall sleep.
However, once we landed I collapsed while waiting for the luggage. Another embarrassing moment...



Yup that will totally be me I think!
It's not boredom really I just get scared of being thousands of miles up in the air on a man made vessel!
We're all ****ed. It helps to remember this.