The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Applecore » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:33 am

Jobdone wrote:EDIT: WWE NETWORK CONFIRMED WORTH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S9ODZCk0H4

WWE have had that taken down :lol:

EDIT: The guy re-upped it in mirror mode. Clicked it aaand...
"This video contains content from WWE, who has blocked it on copyright grounds."
:lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:38 am

Also #Bootista is trending worldwide. Wonder if they'll mention that on Raw..

And I totally forgot that Raw is airing live on Fox8 right now. It's 11:40am here. Awesome.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:52 am

all the new shit on the network is erm... acquirable on a site I use.

god bless.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:01 am

Only Backstage Pass is on the one I use.
It'll do.

RAW spoilers ahoy:
Quite happy with this week's Raw. The Reigns/Wyatt match was decent although came to a predictable end. Was hoping to see Reigns get pissed off at Ambrose for DQing him but I guess it was just a standard match, nothing special, so no real loss.
Fucking lol'd at the Uso's/New Age Outlaws match, too. I was pissed off initially when I saw it was booked, because I really hate rematches, and I'm really really sick of NAO. But yeah, happy with that.
Also. That ending. Holy shit. Yes.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 am

Elimination Chamber thoughts:

Big E/Swagger
Fun - particularly liked E's spear through the ropes.

Usos/NAO
A simple match, but well executed. I really want to like the Usos more, but I think they could do with a charismatic manager to handle hype/promos.

Titus/Young
Wasn't bad, but there was virtually no crowd heat for them at all.

Wyatts/Shield
Brilliant. The best match I've seen on WWE programming since Taker/Punk (and it was possibly better than that). That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you book a 6 man tag match that goes long, is always entertaining and keep both teams strong.

Cameron/AJ
AJ tried, bless her, but Cameron just isn't that good. Still, at least they attempted a bunch of spots and it was kept short.

Batista/Del Rio
Thankfully kept short. Del Rio really tried to carry it, but Batista was poor and this match was pretty shoddy. Still, it lowered expectations and cooled the crowd for the main event.

Chamber Match
On the whole... very good. Some brilliant spots, including Bryan's northern lights suplex that also completed a submission hold with his legs. Cesaro looked an absolute star as well.
I didn't like Orton winning, but I think I prefer Bryan to have a marquee match with HHH at Mania (which is what they seem to be building to on RAW) than have to try and carry Orton/Batista. Let's face it, Batista is winning the title, whether Bryan is there or not - so let's keep him away from the crapfest.

On the whole, a really good PPV.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:39 am

I still think the only rescue option is to have Bryan go into Mania as champ, beg Punk to come back, book him to take the #1 contendership off Bootista, have Batista vs Orton vs Cena in a end of an era triple threat as the sub-main event and then save Cena vs Bray Wyatt for Summerslam.

Whatever way you slice it this is still a fucking disaster. The buyrate for Mania will still be okay, especially with Hogan promoting it as getting in the casuals is what it is all about, but it's not going to break any records thanks to pissing off so much of their hardcore fanbase and surely that should've been the objective right from the start?

It's also going to go down like the Hindenburg in the arena. Rock vs Cena was different as there was no clear face and heel there so it was fine for Cena to get so much heat from the Miami crowd.

This year it's being booked as a heel Orton vs a babyface Batista and that is as far from reality as possible. Most people are simply bored by Orton (though I've actually like some of his stuff in recent months) and Batista is getting negative percentage pop now. It's now even a split reaction, it's either "we hate you because you're a lazy out of shape cunt who is only here because you're HHH's boy" or "you just do absolutely nothing for us." I never "got" Batista in his first run anyway, to me I always remember him as Devon's deacon/bodyguard and he never deserved a push beyond that.

The only question now is, will the half the crowd trying to leave the Superdome early make it out the doors before the 10 minute main event is up?

One good will come out of this though- how awesome is the RAW crowd the next night going to be with Bootista as champ :lol:
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:43 am

In other news, I've finally gotten round to watching PWG All Star Weekend X and on the second night Chris Hero busts out the Big Wiggle. 21 months in NXT learning from Norman Smiley and that's what he takes away from it? :lol:
Upcoming Gigs

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:42 am

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:I still think the only rescue option is to have Bryan go into Mania as champ, beg Punk to come back, book him to take the #1 contendership off Bootista, have Batista vs Orton vs Cena in a end of an era triple threat as the sub-main event and then save Cena vs Bray Wyatt for Summerslam.

Whatever way you slice it this is still a fucking disaster. The buyrate for Mania will still be okay, especially with Hogan promoting it as getting in the casuals is what it is all about, but it's not going to break any records thanks to pissing off so much of their hardcore fanbase and surely that should've been the objective right from the start?

It's also going to go down like the Hindenburg in the arena. Rock vs Cena was different as there was no clear face and heel there so it was fine for Cena to get so much heat from the Miami crowd.

This year it's being booked as a heel Orton vs a babyface Batista and that is as far from reality as possible. Most people are simply bored by Orton (though I've actually like some of his stuff in recent months) and Batista is getting negative percentage pop now. It's now even a split reaction, it's either "we hate you because you're a lazy out of shape cunt who is only here because you're HHH's boy" or "you just do absolutely nothing for us." I never "got" Batista in his first run anyway, to me I always remember him as Devon's deacon/bodyguard and he never deserved a push beyond that.

The only question now is, will the half the crowd trying to leave the Superdome early make it out the doors before the 10 minute main event is up?

One good will come out of this though- how awesome is the RAW crowd the next night going to be with Bootista as champ :lol:

I think it'd be overly drastic to change up so many of their plans. They could easily relegate Orton/Batista to a non-ME position - Undertaker/Brock could comfortably go last.

I don't know what the final card is going to be, but something like:

Main Event: Taker v Brock

Sub: Orton v Batista
The crowd will likely hate it, so use it as a cooldown match in between two 'hot' matches. Keep it to 15 minutes or less too.

Bryan v HHH
Kane as special referee maybe?

Wyatt v Cena v Roman
I know the idea is for Wyatt/Cena, but a Triple Threat might work better considering the history.

Tag Title match
Personally I'd go for tag team turmoil: NAO, Usos, Los Mats, Rybaxl, Rhodes Brothers, The Real Americans. There's been talk of TRA splitting up, so maybe have their failure to win this be the catalyst?

IC Title Big E vs Winner of Pre-Show Battle Royale.

Rowan/Harper v Ambrose/Rollins

Pre-show IC title:
Battle Royale - winner faces Big E for IC title on the main show.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:48 am

I was quite excited about Raw and we get that. Trying to convince the world it wants HHH Vs Bryan at WM. Orton Vs Batista even though absolutely nobody in the world wants to see it at all. Sure Taker Vs Brock could be ok, but meh. Taker looks ancient and haggard.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:58 am

I think 15 minutes is being ambitious for Orton vs Batista :lol:

At the moment the whole event for me hinges on Cena vs Bray Wyatt, which makes me worried they might do something stupid like, you know, book Cena to win.
Upcoming Gigs

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:I think 15 minutes is being ambitious for Orton vs Batista :lol:

At the moment the whole event for me hinges on Cena vs Bray Wyatt, which makes me worried they might do something stupid like, you know, book Cena to win.

Whilst I'd prefer Bray to win, if booked correctly a Cena victory would be fine. After all, a DQ win for Cena after a Rowan/Harper interefence. If they do have cena win, I wouldn't mind a flash pin (inside cradle, schoolboy etc) for the win followed by Bray beating the crap out of him post-match.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:12 pm

I think the Bray character needs a huge victory. A post-match beatdown is hollow, even if it leads to an injury angle.

Upcoming Gigs

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:33 pm

Think people are being overly negative about Wrestlemania.

Yes they've gone the predictable route booking all 4 main matches that were rumoured back in November and only altered with Batista in Bryans place and Bryan in Punks place.

However, Taker vs Lesnar should be a great fight.

Orton vs Batista showed signs on Raw that the build up could be done well enough to get some vague intrigue into it.

Wyatt gets a great spotlight going against Cena.

I enjoyed Raw this week.

Decent matches too, notably Cessaro sn Big E.

Pleasing to see Reigns and Wyatt effectively headlining Raw also.

Great finish to set up the Streak angle. Whole time were thinking there's a great chance for it but when that bell chimes you still enjoy it.

Loved the pen through the hand and the burst of intensity Taker portrayed, chokeslamming Lesnar through the table.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:00 pm

All I got from Reigns this week was that he is by far the weakest wrestler in the shield. Normally he is used towards the end of matches for a couple of big pop power moves and to get the pin or whatever, when he has to go a whole match he really doesn't have a whole lot to choose from. Bray was clearly controlling the whole thing and Reigns was painfully average for most of it.

FlorenceTheMachine
Definitely Not Nu

Postby FlorenceTheMachine » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 pm

Just finished watching RAW and It was reasonably enjoyable. Hilarious watching Hogan struggle to make through a promo without fucking up his lines (Spoilers, he fucked up). I loved when he announced that the WWE were making history because they were launching the WWE universe (Obviously meant to say network).

The card was your typical post-PPV card. Rivalries were reiterated and expanded on, angle directions were solidified, and there was the mandatory Taker appearance a month before Mania.

Highlights: Cesaro and Big E were booked well. A DQ finish made both look strong (Despite the nasty landing from the Neutralizer) and Swagger's interference will hopefully be one of the final nails in the coffin for the nonsensical Real Americans tag team.

Reigns vs Wyatt was solid, A bit slow in places but I think that had more to do with a slight lack in interest from the crowd and the commentary team getting distracted like three ADHD, Ritalin-addled twats.

Not so much a highlight but it was good to see WWE finally acknowledging the heat Bootista has been getting and hopefully leading to Batista turning heel. Not like it really matters because it will still be a piss poor match where we have to watch Randy try and carry Batista's sluggish and tired old arse for 20-odd minutes.

Lowlights: None really, I just really want to express my disdain for JBL, Cole and Lawler showcasing there alarming lack/decline of colour commentating skills. JBL sounded like he was on crack while he was going on about what the E stands for in Big E. For me personally, having the commentary team get behind the matches and the superstars really adds an extra element of excitement to the proceedings. I find it very hard to concentrate on a match when the commentators are spouting the proverbial about hashtags and just general bullshit. Gordon Solie and Gorilla Monsoon are spinning in their graves.