The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Bearstock
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Bearstock » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:33 pm

Applecore wrote:Listened to both the CM Punk story on Colt Cabana's podcast and Steve Austin interviewing Vince McMahon today.

The McMahon podcast left me feeling quite a bit of respect for Vince. Unfortunately, he seems to rely too much on the voices in the crowd at the shows than what the rest of the fans are saying online. It's easy to get caught up in the moment at a show and cheer for something or someone you otherwise wouldn't if you were watching at home.
With what happened to CM Punk, I get the feeling that he's a guy who just unfortunately slipped through the net with regards to how he was treated. As for the health issues, he himself admits that he wanted to go back early when asked to prove that he can do it - while that's admirable, he then can't really be surprised when they then expect it of him every time thereafter. Though, to be fair to him, he says a few times in the interview that he accepts that he shouldn't have gone back early.
As for the situation with him getting his dismissal on his wedding day, Vince says it was purely coincidental and wants to apologise for it, and I think I believe him. Especially when Punk says how Vince reacted to him walking out, how Vince had tears in his eyes and went for a hug instead of a handshake, and then trying to get in touch very soon afterwards. What sticks out to me is that Punk says he'd told Triple H when he was getting married, and that he thinks it was a calculated move. I don't think it's totally out of question that Triple H kept the wedding date from Vince and pushed it through so he got it on his wedding day (as it was sent with Fed-Ex, it's entirely likely that it arrived exactly when the sender intended). Punk talks a bit about how Triple H just plain didn't like him - coming out of retirement for one match just to kill Punk's momentum, the way he acted around him backstage, etc - and it kind of weighs up with what Ricardo Rodriguez said in his shoot interview, that if you criticise what Triple H has planned, or says, you're off TV and house shows. Triple H sounds like he can be a bit of a bully backstage, and it wouldn't surprise me that he orchestrated Punk's dismissal papers being sent when they were just to spite the guy.

Vince said he hopes the WWE can do business with CM Punk again in the future, and mentioned how they made amends with guys like Warrior, Hogan, Bret Hart, etc, and I really do want to believe him, as blindly optimistic as it may seem. I can't see it happening anytime soon, though, not with Triple H in a position of influence within the company - especially the main roster.

Dude, paragraphs :P

I think the Punk interview was a excellent listen, a lot of revealing stuff made sense and wasn't all that surprising if you're a bit cynical and think about potential scenarios. Good to hear it from the horses mouth though.

With the Vince thing, he couldn't really go out there and rip into Punk even if he wanted too. There was allegedly a meeting at Raw between Vince, Triple H and Stephanie regarding the Punk podcast so it would have all been carefully planned what to mention and what not to.

I do think Vince missed a trick though in not defending the medical issues to the hilt though.

Sections of media have been clamouring to shit on WWE since the Benoit incident and WWE have made a big thing of their new Wellness policies, concussion treatment etc etc.

To have their medical care publicly lambasted and not come out to defend it? Leaves them very exposed to some knife twisting and if all of what Punk said about ti is correct, they're in for some major shit.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:42 am

Genuinely didn't see this coming:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/12/07/c ... s-with-ufc

Figured he'd be too beat up from years of rasslin' at this point to start MMA.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:49 am

I saw it coming, just not so soon. I knew he was going to be having a chat with the bosses at last night's event, but was not expecting an announcement so soon.
He'll probably be a fair way off competing yet, but when he makes his debut it's going to be fucking HUGE for UFC.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:24 am

I'd be surprised if they got many big money fights outta him.

He's a somewhat broken down 36 year old. He's probably gonna get wrecked from the off.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:35 am

I'm not quick to dismiss it tbh. It's been more or less confirmed that as he's going in 0-0, he'll be starting off against guys who have a similar record instead of being chucked in at PPV level like Lesnar was. It'll be interesting to see how he does.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:22 pm

Applecore wrote:I'm not quick to dismiss it tbh. It's been more or less confirmed that as he's going in 0-0, he'll be starting off against guys who have a similar record instead of being chucked in at PPV level like Lesnar was. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Heyman will fly in with a fan to stop Punk taking the finishing blow. It is like a real life The Homer they Fall.

"Phil!, Phil he's not going to get tired. You've got to hit him back. Hit him back!"

That Indian Boy is right, I only got one chance: I got to knock him out!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:35 pm

In other news.. CHIKARA is coming to the UK in 2015!
Dates are:
Friday 3rd April: Wolverhampton, Wulfrun Hall
Saturday 4th April: Wolverhampton, Wulfrun Hall
Sunday 5th April: Cardiff, TBD
Monday 6th April: London, TBD

Tickets are available now at http://chikaratix.com/ and are priced at $25 (standard), $35 (Guaranteed Bearer Second Row seats) and $45 (Includes admission to the pre-show). Not sure why prices are in USD when the shows are in England, but fuck it, that means they're less, right?

I'll be living in Norwich by then, so I think London would be easiest for me, but my friends who like wrestling will be in Peterborough, so would likely go more for Wolverhampton. Hmm..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Applecore wrote:I'm not quick to dismiss it tbh. It's been more or less confirmed that as he's going in 0-0, he'll be starting off against guys who have a similar record instead of being chucked in at PPV level like Lesnar was. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't main event something like Lesnar.

This thing is going to be huge, they're going to want to make as much money as possible.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:28 pm

He'll probably appear at a PPV, sure, but I think given his history with the WWE and why he left, he won't be going into anything he's not ready for. That'd be on both his terms and theirs - Punk won't want to be a hypocrite and complain how WWE called him in too soon, or burned him out only to then allow UFC to do the same, and there's no point in UFC spending (what I assume is) a shitload of money on him only to overwork/hurt him in his first few fights.

Plus, he's probably going to have to work hard to earn the respect of the UFC fans, and I think both he and the company know the best way to get that is by starting at the bottom and working up, rather than just jumping in at the top.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:07 pm

The punk stuff meant I missed the important thing.

CHIKARA IS THE UK!? I'm pretty much gonna have to hit the cardiff date up.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:25 pm

If we are realistic, Punk is 36, or will be for his first fight, he isn't an impressive physical specimin, hasn't trained MMA properly, and he is going into UFC where the best of the best go. Unless they give him a 0-5 hobo, he has very little chance of winning a fight. If they are fair, they will give him a rookie who will probably be a lot younger and a lot stronger and better trained for it.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:09 pm

Applecore wrote:In other news.. CHIKARA is coming to the UK in 2015!
Dates are:
Friday 3rd April: Wolverhampton, Wulfrun Hall
Saturday 4th April: Wolverhampton, Wulfrun Hall
Sunday 5th April: Cardiff, TBD
Monday 6th April: London, TBD

Tickets are available now at http://chikaratix.com/ and are priced at $25 (standard), $35 (Guaranteed Bearer Second Row seats) and $45 (Includes admission to the pre-show). Not sure why prices are in USD when the shows are in England, but fuck it, that means they're less, right?

I'll be living in Norwich by then, so I think London would be easiest for me, but my friends who like wrestling will be in Peterborough, so would likely go more for Wolverhampton. Hmm..

That is possibly the worst time of the year they could have chosen for me. I'm already in London and Athens in the first week of March and my sister is planning a murder mystery holiday thing somewhere in England for my mum's 50th in the second half of the month. Still going to do my best to hit at least one though, if not all 4.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:12 pm

Also this will mean Chikara can start calling the Grand Championship a world title if it is defended on any of those dates, that would be pretty cool.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

WrestlingAndMetal
Lowly Peon

Postby WrestlingAndMetal » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:28 pm

Hey guys, new forum member here and huge wrestling fan. Regular at PCW events and when I can WWEtours over here. I actually used to be a huge fan of Punk in wwe so I'm looking forward to his ufc career. Had a feeling when he left that's the route he'd go down due to his love of mma styles in the ring
Free thinkers are dangerous

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:55 am

Punk has been training in gracie jiu jitsu for a few years now, and he won't go in without proper training. Realistically he is going to be training with some of the best fighters and trainers before he fights. He will probably have as much chance of winning as his opponent who will likely also be a rookie. His fight will probably be on a ppv but low on the card. He's a big name but not a big attraction for mma fans, and not too many people that are not mma fans will pay to see it.