The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Littlemissmetal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:27 pm

I used to be able to tolerate it and it was occasionally entertaining, for the stupidity factor.

Then I was dragged to watch it live in Sheffield two nights running.

Now I want to to murder them all very, *very* slowly.... :evil:
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

kle110
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby kle110 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Littlemissmetal wrote:I used to be able to tolerate it and it was occasionally entertaining, for the stupidity factor.

Then I was dragged to watch it live in Sheffield two nights running.

Now I want to to murder them all very, *very* slowly.... :evil:

Same. Only I watched them in Cardiff, and have a bf who is obsessed with it and hardly talks about anything else! I used to like it when I was like 10. Now it's the worst thing ever :evil:

Zaibatsu
Warrior of Metal

Postby Zaibatsu » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:16 pm

I've just downloaded both Impact and Raw, watching them both tonight. Very exciting times with both shows. I was obsessed with wrestling until I was in my teens, then I realised how stupid and gay it is. Ten years later I started watching again, coincidentally the same week Jericho made his return to RAW. Of course, it's still stupid and gay, but there we go. It's always amusing just how annoyed people get at wrestling fans. I'm still not quite sure why.

At the moment WWE and TNA are about even in my eyes. WWE has always been more polished - better production, better build-up of storylines and subsequent PPV's. TNA has the better roster at the moment though - people like Styles, Daniels, Joe, Angle, McGuiness - the writers just seem to always manage to mess things up.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:18 pm

Anybody else find the behind-the scenes stuff almost as interesting as the actual wrestling?

absol
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby absol » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:24 pm

While I still follow WWE and TNA, I find the indies and the Japanese promotions so much better in terms of the quality of the wrestling and the fact that they push people who actually deserve it. However, now Bryan Danielson's signed for WWE and Nigel McGuiness...sorry, 'Desmond Wolfe' is TNA's fastest-rising star I'm going to have start watching them properly again...
http://facebook.com/theprincipalityofsealand

http://theunbearableadventuresofpercy.tumblr.com/ - My webcomic.
'The next Dilbert', according to a very close, sycophantic, over-excited friend of mine.

Solidarity forever.

NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby NightEyes » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Big D wrote:Anybody else find the behind-the scenes stuff almost as interesting as the actual wrestling?

I used to be a huge Wresting geek when I was about 12-14 and on reflection I found the cheesy behind-the scenes where the best part about the WWF. Vince MacMan getting attacking in Hospital, The Big Boss Man stealing the Big Show's father coffin from the funeral, The APA protection agency attacking people after playing cards and of course Crash Holly defending the Hardcore Title. :lol:

Some things I can't believe what actual happened. The Undertaker during his Satanic Era having Vince's daughter held above the TV screen on a Cross about the sacrifice her live in front of thousands of Red necks. :o

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:00 pm

I was going to write a long fanboy post about how I got into watching wrestling, why I stopped, who my favourites are, my own gimmick, etc etc etc etc, but really there's only one thing to say:

The Hitman's back!! :hairbang:
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Dan Jenkins
Denim Demon

Postby Dan Jenkins » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Last edited by Dan Jenkins on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Isn't wrestling the one where people pretend that they've just lost a limb before recovering 5 seconds later to perform some sort of roly-poly onto a collapsible table, or something.

The way it's been described to me makes out to be some sort of overblown Coronation Street, but with a far lower standard of acting ability. Mind you, watching Blanche on steroids hurling Ken Barlow through the coffee table might make 'Corrie' a little more bearable
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

kle110
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby kle110 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Noodle wrote:Isn't wrestling the one where people pretend that they've just lost a limb before recovering 5 seconds later to perform some sort of roly-poly onto a collapsible table, or something.

The way it's been described to me makes out to be some sort of overblown Coronation Street, but with a far lower standard of acting ability. Mind you, watching Blanche on steroids hurling Ken Barlow through the coffee table might make 'Corrie' a little more bearable

Didn't the actress who played Blanche die a few weeks ago?

Cookie_
Denim Demon

Postby Cookie_ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Yes she did.

Zombie Blanche?

:eyes:
ImageImageImage

gelder
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby gelder » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:03 pm

I used to watch wrestling all the time when I was a kid/teen, but when I moved to uni I just stopped watching it due to lack of internet and sky. About a couple of years ago I picked up the Undertaker 3 disc boxset and got back into it from there. Now I'm more into it than ever, going to local promotions, and even though I don't have Sky Sports so can't watch WWE, I keep up to date with it online and order the "big" PPV's

FUCKING SUCK!!!!

:p

MotorAmarth
Denim Demon

Postby MotorAmarth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:15 pm

"WWE presents the RAW brand
Echo Arena - Liverpool
Sunday, April 11th 2010

*Scheduled to appear: Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, Chris Jericho, John Morrison, Kane, Michelle McCool, Mickie James plus many more."

Want want want want

Jage wrote:I don't like the sound of Mark Owen's voice in Priest.

gelder
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby gelder » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:07 am

MotorAmarth wrote:"WWE presents the RAW brand
Echo Arena - Liverpool
Sunday, April 11th 2010

*Scheduled to appear: Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, Chris Jericho, John Morrison, Kane, Michelle McCool, Mickie James plus many more."

Want want want want

Wherever you got that form has messed up, they're all Smackdown wrestlers!

FUCKING SUCK!!!!

:p

manowarrior
Leather Rebel

Postby manowarrior » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:15 am

well after watching Raw and Impact last night, I'm sorry to say Raw proved why wwe are the big boys!
Two ppv quality matches and no over long promos. Impact felt like noel's house party with the whole "ooh look who's walked in". The hogan/nwo segment was on for far too long and was close to a car crash! Most of the crowd didn't even know who they were ffs! That said, Val Venis ftw :yes:
I can see by that look that you have in your eyes, you came here for metal to fight and to die!