The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Jobdone » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:32 pm

decided to not spam the thread. all thoughts on here from now on.

https://twitter.com/JoeJobdone

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:02 am

OKAY.

BUT FUCK IT.

NO.

FUCK THAT.

UNDERTAKER.

LOSES THE STREAK.

IN A TERRIBLE MATCH.

TO.

A FUCKING PART TIMER.

A FUCKING LESNAR.

NOT EVEN A GUYT.

THEY CAN PIN THIS ON.

FOR YEARS.

FUCKING LESANR.

WHO SHOWS UP.

ONCE A FUCKING YEAR.

FUCK.

FUCK.

FUCK.
FCUKT HAT.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:13 am

And they follow it with the fucking divas. Nothing can save the show. And it was a great fucking wrestlemania, but they killed it, and they can't bring it back. They probably think Bryan winning will make everything OK but it won't because we all know he's dropping the title to Batista within a couple of months.

If the streak had to end I'd rather end it myself than have fucking lesnar end it. Fuck, Zack Ryder would be better at least he's there! Unbelievable.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:19 am

Fuck, I can't go anywhere without seeing spoilers!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:27 am

That whole match was a spoiler. The crowd is dead for this main event even Bryan barely got a reaction. I'm only still watching because I won't sleep after that bullshit.

And fuck Cole and kingf rambling on about how the network is great value. I feel fucking robbed.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:54 am

THIS IS THE YES THREAD NOW.

Image ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:05 am

YES THREAD YOUS AY JOE?

FOR SOOTH. YES.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:10 am

After extreme rules we'll be renaming it the "deal with it" thread.

Still not remotely OK with lesnar ending the streak. There was no bittersweet moment in there, like when Shawn Michaels retired, that was 100% bitter. I feel llikethe fans deserve better. I feel like I deserve better. He's always been my favourite since I was a kid and that's how it ends? Fucking bullshit.

tmcgoay
Consort of the Beast

Postby tmcgoay » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:30 am

bullshit ending to the streak, a damp ending to the undertakers career. after being such a fan favourite for so long they owed him more. i still think they should let him win the IC belt for the triple crown and grandslam.
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18, '19, '21
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18, '19, '21
SRS '12
EMFA '20

http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:40 am

Plenty of reports going around that lesnar went off script or undertaker was injured. Unfortunatley I think he's just done, but it was a shitty way for a streak as long as my life to end. Its like it meant nothing. Any one of the last 5 matches would have been more fitting to end it. And if he was done he just had to say, he didn't have to lose to retire. And it was just a shitty match in general.

tmcgoay
Consort of the Beast

Postby tmcgoay » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:08 am

CrappyMike wrote:Plenty of reports going around that lesnar went off script or undertaker was injured. Unfortunatley I think he's just done, but it was a shitty way for a streak as long as my life to end. Its like it meant nothing. Any one of the last 5 matches would have been more fitting to end it. And if he was done he just had to say, he didn't have to lose to retire. And it was just a shitty match in general.

whatever the reality is, it is stirring up so much web traffic and keeping the wwe on every social media site going. McMahon is an astute business man and this could just as easily be another advertising ploy to sell the network
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18, '19, '21
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18, '19, '21
SRS '12
EMFA '20

http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

Dimmu Burger
Powermetal Child

Postby Dimmu Burger » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 am

I've never been so genuinely shocked at a wrestling match outcome in my life. You really couldn't have booked it better!

Yes you can argue someone young / upcoming could have got the rub but try and think of it this way; no one else would have got that reaction! No one in their right mind expected Lesnar to walk out of that one with the win. On paper he was the least likely to end the streak in years because of his status, perfect time to make it happen! No one saw it coming!

Taker would have had a huge say in how that match ended, it's how he wanted it to end, you have to respect that. That reaction will be a talking point for years and years to come, that reaction is how the streak needed to end, sheer disbelief!

Overall an ace Wrestlemania, best in years over all!

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:31 am

Can't stop laughing at this gif, i'm glad he lost anyway, been past it for years

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:57 pm

He is past it, but he could have made someone's career with that win. Instead he gives it to a guy that shows up to have a boring UFC match once every few months and gets paid an insane amount to do so. That was the worst way to end the streak I could have thought of really.

It also dampened the crowd completely for Bryan's victory, so that was nice of them.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Jesus, where to start?

Apparently last night the bar neglected to tell us that the 8 TV screens would be showing the PPV on Sky Box Office and the 2 projectors would be streaming it via the network. As soon as I got there though we commandeered some seats on the middle floor where there was no projector, and by the time we figured it out there was no room to watch the pre-show. Hey it's only the pre-show though. I've heard The Real Americans split which sucks on the one hand because I think they deserved a title run but on the other this is a perfect time to turn Cesaro into a superstar. Tonight on RAW is going to be a major game-changer for him.

Then the night was nearly scuppered when Sky lost the feed- right as Austin's fucking music hit. Cue madness for the next 20 minutes as dozens of people are harassing staff (one of whom was the spit of Arn Anderson) wanting to know what the fuck was going on, and a mad bottleneck at the bottom of the stairs as people tried to crowd around the 1 remaining working projector while others were trying to leave. Luckily by the time all the talking was done at the start of the show over half the bar had left making the space issues much easier and they managed to get it streaming on another laptop and hook it up to one of the TVs so all was not lost. I still managed to see all the opening match, kneeling on a flagstone floor to not block other people's view but jesus, what a match!

There's no other way of saying it, that was headline worthy. In technical terms it has to rank as one of HHH's best matches ever. I'd never thought I'd see him using the crossface chickenwing or a dragon suplex, or that ROH-style apron spot! Paul could've pulled the veteran/boss card and said no we're going do this sports entertainment/storytelling style so major props to him for letting Bryan take the lead and work his style of match. Stephanie's facial expressions were all the drama you needed anyway. The atmosphere in the bar was amazing as well, people chanting "Krispin Wah!" everytime HHH went into the crossface or Bryan hit a German suplex :lol:

The Shield match was over before it even really got started, some lads missed the whole thing by going to the bar. It was strange seeing Ambrose hit the Nigel 20 seconds in as it's always been a move to hit deep into a match, but a quick dominant victory was cool and makes The Shield look unbeatable. The double triple (sextuple??) powerbomb was sweet too.

I missed big chunks of the battle royal because the stream was lagging and there was sound issues that took a while to fix, but what I saw of it was very fun. Kofi's elimination was cool, but so simple that i'm amazed it's never been done before. Big Show looked good as well but I knew by about halfway through it was going to be Cesaro's night. That man is going to be a fucking superstar.

It makes me feel kind of sad as well though. It's like when CM Punk made it but Colt Cabana didn't, or when Bryan won his first title Nigel McGuinness was on his retirement tour. I know Chris Hero isn't down on his luck at the moment (apparently he had an amazing match on friday in Dragon Gate USA with Masato Tanaka which I can't wait to watch later) but their careers were so intertwined I still feel like Hero should be there on the same level as Cesaro. I think all ROH fans couldn't be prouder of him though. He's succeeded where Punk and Bryan did as well, he's become one of WWE's biggest stars without altering his style to please them.

So 3 matches in and with all my boys coming out on top so far this was on track to be the best Wrestlemania ever. It was going that way as well all throughout the Wyatt vs Cena match, the storytelling aspect was perfect and Cena turned it up on the night like he always does. And then they ruined it with the last 5 seconds. Sure they have to show Cena to be the Superman on Wrestlemania because that's what the weekend warriors want to see and they'll probably rescue the whole situation somehow tonight, but god damn it what a way to kill the momentum for the best character you've had in 20 years. Even if Cena had've won by DQ or won dirty both sides would've been happy.

And then we all know what happened next. If you think watching that in your house was bad imagine a bar full of grown men weeping. Now that I've had time to think about it I don't think the match was as bad as everyone was making out. I don't get the "but he's a part-timer" argument either because so is Taker. It could be worse like, it could've been fucking The Rock or Batista that beat him. Or Cena. I've always said only Kane should be allowed to end the streak and I agree any of his last 4 matches would've been more fitting endings, but that may be part of why the decision was made. We all know Mark Calloway has a huge say in his booking, maybe he just doesn't feel he can perform on that level any more, even once a year. No one knows better than himself and if he wanted to lose to Lesnar I respect that. And I trust that WWE have an endgame in mind for Lesnar with this momentum. I suppose we'll find out tonight as well is this really the end for Taker or do they still have a programme in mind for him and Sting.

Also, for great Mania moment how fucking cool was Undertaker's entrance? I was skeptical of whether even Mania could top Wrestle Kingdom this year for pantomime but Taker did it single-handedly.

I skipped the diva's match to go order pizza and get my head around what had just happened so for once I was actually glad of having that cooldown match. I'm happy AJ retained too, she's still the best of a bad bunch.

If I had've been alone I wouldn't have been in any state to watch the main event. In fact, I was texting friends who lived nearby asking if I could leave and come crash there instead but mates in the bar made me stay and I am glad in the end I did. What a fucking main event, and even with everyone distraught over Taker the atmosphere was still off the chart.

First of all, Big Dave's cardio didn't ruin things as badly as I thought it would. I know it'll be a different story in one on one matches but in this triple threat thankfully he was a bit of a non-factor. Secondly, Randy was on his absolute A game. He actually earned the name Apex Predator last night. Because of the Bryan injury angle he had to carry large parts of the match and he did it brilliantly. Maybe it's that recently standing beside Batista has been like comparing gold and dogshit and I think his highlights package on that Top 10 finishers countdown show reminded me of how great he is, but recently for the first time I've really been able to say I'm a Randy Orton fan. His timing on that dangerous as hell Spanish announce table spot was great as well.

Steph and HHH were amazing in their roles once again, and the Scott Armstrong return was killer. What a perfect way to round out the storyline, and confirm that it has been an 8 month conspiracy against Bryan. I know at the outset there wasn't a plan to end it like this at Wrestlemania and it had to be shoehorned to fix their mistake of bringing back Batista but it all worked out perfectly. Will they still give Batista his day? Only if it's in his contract I think. They probably know they've got nothing to gain by making Batista champ and another early setback to a Bryan championship reign will antagonize fans far too much. And after last night I'm not going to worry about it anyway. That was the Wrestlemania moment to end all Wrestlemania moments, even on par with Eddie and Benoit in the ring together 10 years ago.

Last year after the New Jersey RAW I posted a meme on the facebook page of that classic Hogan quote saying "bullshit- this is where the power lies", referring to the Jersey crowd. Loads of people said I was being over-optimistic, but fuck em, I was right. I don't normally believe in magic but 50 million people chanting "yes!" in unison is a pretty fucking powerful thing. Sure it didn't change the outcome of the match as it was happening, but that finish would not have been booked if it wasn't for the sheer weight of fan reaction to Bryan. I'm still seething about Devitt having to leave Japan without becoming world champ and not quite right about the Taker business, but this weekend has been an absolute triumph all the same. It sucks that Punk wasn't there to be a part of it after being frozen out of a main event spot he deserved 4 years running, but last night Bryan, Cesaro, Rollins and Ambrose proved what an impact indy wrestling has had on WWE. HHH can big up NXT all he wants but if it wasn't for those little outlaw promotions he pretends don't exist the business would not be thriving like it is right now.

Right, so now that re-watch the bits I missed last night and then get stuck into ROH, Dragon Gate USA and NJPW!
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire