The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:11 am

I watched his HoF induction only last night, it completely changed my opinion of him.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Dimmu Burger
Powermetal Child

Postby Dimmu Burger » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:57 am

Absolutely gutted to hear about Warriors death. Especially after the brilliant weekend he's had with coming home to WWE and getting his rightly deserved Hall Of Fame. After that promo on Raw part of me thinks he knew his time was coming, but probably that's just coincidence.

I loved Warrior as a kid, he was the perfect blend of wrestler and super hero, this absolutely sucks. :(

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:23 am

The wording he used in the promo, and the fact he was given the slot on RAW makes me think he knew it was coming soon.
For those who want a reminder of what he said:
http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/319037/
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Just collapsed.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/08/ultimate- ... -dies-wwe/

Presumably something to do with his heart from, you know, shit loads of 80s cocaine.

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:43 pm

80's cocaine is better than today's I would have thought, it's the roids like so many others

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:37 pm

Bummed about Warrior.Him and Mr Perfect were my favourites when i used to watch this stuff and now both are gone.
R.I.P.

Bizza
Paster of Muppets

Postby Bizza » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Gutted. Don't watch wrestling anymore but he as always one of my favorites when I was a kid, his theme music was probably one of my first introductions to Metal. R.I.P :(
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19, '21, '22, '23.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:22 pm

Applecore wrote:The wording he used in the promo, and the fact he was given the slot on RAW makes me think he knew it was coming soon.
For those who want a reminder of what he said:
http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/319037/

Yeah. He pretty much delivered his own eulogy. When I first heard he'd died, I wondered if he'd committed some sort of Jon Nödtveidt-esque suicide after having gotten into the Hall of Fame or something (before his death, Nödtveidt was quoted as saying "The Satanist decides of his own life and death and prefers to go out with a smile on his lips when he has reached his peak in life, when he has accomplished everything, and aim to transcend this earthly existence.")

If there's any form of afterlife, I hope there's an Ultimate Maniacs reunion going on.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:30 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:I watched his HoF induction only last night, it completely changed my opinion of him.

Exactly this. A week ago I might not have cared but its actually quite sad. At least he got to be in the hall of fame, I imagine it meant a lot to him.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:I watched his HoF induction only last night, it completely changed my opinion of him.

Hm that's odd, you didn't give HBK the exact same thing a couple of pages back :P Warrior was a massively homophobic, racist, nasty person with a rather large ego himself.

Anyways, it's a darn shame. It certainly did seem at least that he had changed his ways. I feel bad mostly for his family.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:18 pm

Oh I still knew about that, but at least I got to see what a genuine and honest guy he was and not at all like this petulant twat with no respect for the business that the documentary made him out to be.

I will say this though- he'd be much more of a legend in my book if he'd put some more of that devotion he had for his character into his wrestling skills.
Upcoming Gigs

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:53 am

Watched Main Event last night. The Shield vs Wyatts is worth it alone.
Jack Swagger vs Dolph Ziggler is alright. Nothing special but I've certainly seen worse. Both of their matches seem pretty samey to be honest, so this one doesn't exactly stand out.
Then it's Alexander Rusev vs Sin Cara. Now, this could have been an awesome match but as they're hell bent on showing Rusev to be such an unstoppable machine it only lasted about 3-5 minutes with Rusev mostly dominating.
Strange that the show is called "Main Event" when the main event of the show was the first match, followed by two low interest matches. Surely if they want people to watch the whole show (and all of their adverts within) they should have put the interesting match on last? I wonder how many watched the first match and then fucked off :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:36 am

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Oh I still knew about that, but at least I got to see what a genuine and honest guy he was and not at all like this petulant twat with no respect for the business that the documentary made him out to be.

I will say this though- he'd be much more of a legend in my book if he'd put some more of that devotion he had for his character into his wrestling skills.

Maybe he could have done without the whole homophobic thing, and the whole 'New Orleons basically deserved Katrina' thing!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 pm

herzeleid wrote:
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Oh I still knew about that, but at least I got to see what a genuine and honest guy he was and not at all like this petulant twat with no respect for the business that the documentary made him out to be.

Maybe he could have done without the whole homophobic thing, and the whole 'New Orleons basically deserved Katrina' thing!

Oh definitely, but i'm talking purely in wrestling terms here. In spite of my rant about Shawn Michaels above I don't let that colour my opinion of what he did in the ring.

Same story with Dynamite Kid, Jimmy Snuka, Chris Benoit of course.
Upcoming Gigs

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:25 pm

For a while, I was hoping the Undertaker's streak would eventually end with a big supernaturally-tinged storyline involving Kane and (before he passed away) Paul Bearer, but it occurred to me today that such a storyline commencing would make it just too obvious that the Undertaker was going to lose and retire.

To shoot off at a tangent, Paige (from Norwich) winning the Divas championship has reminded me how much I want Partridge to guest-host Raw in the UK at some point. That would be awesome. They'd have to get Armando Iannucci in to get the best out of it though and he might not be easy to convince.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!