The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:23 pm

I wouldn't count on them being able to attract Shelley- the NJPW paychecks for the mid-card are phenomenal compared to WWE. Especially if he gets a Jr. singles push I reckon he'll be in New Japan for the long haul. This is also why I think Devitt is holding his ground there in case he's given the chance to be IWGP heavyweight champ. Obviously no one would turn down the chance to be a main eventer in WWE, but in terms of pay it's definitely better to be a small fish in Japan than it is in America. And if you can become a top star in Japan not only are you making a shitload more than the WWE mid-card, but in wrestling purist circles that carries way more prestige than even the US or IC titles do.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:55 am

I've still got Golden Dream and 2 weeks of TV to watch, but ROH has been incredible recently. Just done with Glory By Honor were they did their traditional 4 on 4 elimination champion vs challengers match, which went for 1 hour 15 minutes. Incredible stuff, especially from Michael Elgin who spent longer in the ring than anyone, which is unbelievable for a guy who is 265lbs of pure muscle. The show of respect from the fans to Bobby Fish who was pinned for the first time ever since coming to ROH was awesome and who wrestled most of the match with a gash on his head, but the way Elgin collapsed on Cole after pinning him was something else. I've never seen 2 guys put so much into a match before.

Paul London's match with Roderick Strong was fantastic too, perhaps even the best match of London's career. I think he might be in line for more than just the occasional appearance with ROH now and maybe even get to challenge for the world title again.

In other news, my favourite promotion in the world is back! Well, sort of. All the way back in June CHIKARA started a storyline where the on-screen authority figure (The Director Of Fun, Wink Vavaseur) interrupted the main event with a load of security just as the belt was about to change hands, attacked both guys, tore the stage down and shut the cameras and mics off saying he was killing CHIKARA. Bear in mind this is a company that takes kayfabe very seriously so a few of the fans were genuinely freaking out- one even got arrested for smashing a window in the venue.

Then about a month ago it seems a fan bought some CHIKARA memorabilia off ebay from a handler he knew to be one of the wrestlers. On the back was a date, time and co-ordinates, which turned out to be an open air skatepark in Philadelphia, and the words "#IamCHIKARA". He spread the word and all the fans showed up, and they had a tag match under the guise of this being the wrestlers trying to restart the company unofficially. I found a video on youtube and towards the end the same security guys from the last show show up in a white van and appear to kidnap a fan. And now another month of speculation and silence.

It may be a comedy promotion, but you've got to admit that is a creative storyline!
Upcoming Gigs

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:56 am

I've still got Golden Dream and 2 weeks of TV to watch, but ROH has been incredible recently. Just done with Glory By Honor were they did their traditional 4 on 4 elimination champion vs challengers match, which went for 1 hour 15 minutes. Incredible stuff, especially from Michael Elgin who spent longer in the ring than anyone, which is unbelievable for a guy who is 265lbs of pure muscle. The show of respect from the fans to Bobby Fish who was pinned for the first time ever since coming to ROH was awesome and who wrestled most of the match with a gash on his head, but the way Elgin collapsed on Cole after pinning him was something else. I've never seen 2 guys put so much into a match before.

Paul London's match with Roderick Strong was fantastic too, perhaps even the best match of London's career. I think he might be in line for more than just the occasional appearance with ROH now and maybe even get to challenge for the world title again.

In other news, my favourite promotion in the world is back! Well, sort of. All the way back in June CHIKARA started a storyline where the on-screen authority figure (The Director Of Fun, Wink Vavaseur) interrupted the main event with a load of security just as the belt was about to change hands, attacked both guys, tore the stage down and shut the cameras and mics off saying he was killing CHIKARA. Bear in mind this is a company that takes kayfabe very seriously so a few of the fans were genuinely freaking out- one even got arrested for smashing a window in the venue.

Then about a month ago it seems a fan bought some CHIKARA memorabilia off ebay from a handler he knew to be one of the wrestlers. On the back was a date, time and co-ordinates, which turned out to be an open air skatepark in Philadelphia, and the words "#IamCHIKARA". He spread the word and all the fans showed up, and they had a tag match under the guise of this being the wrestlers trying to restart the company unofficially. I found a video on youtube and towards the end the same security guys from the last show show up in a white van and appear to kidnap a fan. And now another month of speculation and silence.

It may be a comedy promotion, but you've got to admit that is a creative storyline!
Upcoming Gigs

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:06 am

I don't know why he appears to have beaten the guy up with a DVD case, but Sami (or Solomon Crowe as he's now known- good name) will be a good test run for how WWE will feel about bringing in stiffer guys and guys who don't fit their usual body mould from the indies.
Upcoming Gigs

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:22 am

Too busy to even watch RAW this week, nevermind try to catch up on TNA or the indies. Last night was both CZW Cage Of Death and ROH Final Battle, and after his match in Jersey for CZW the word is Chris Hero got straight in a car across to New York and ran in on the main event at the ROH show. The downside is Matt Hardy is also back in ROH, but still it's great to see Hero getting involved in a top storyline with the top company in the US straight after his release from WWE.
Upcoming Gigs

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Even getting released from nxt gives more exposure than you can get in the Indies, he'll have new fans who will start watching roh now. Smart move.

TLC tonight will be interesting. Haven't watched any wrestling for a while but might catch the main event. Punk and Bryan's matches are pointless, they may struggle to make them different enough to be worth having both on the same show. Don't care much about anything else that's going on. WWEs booking of Bryan recently has been genius, he's more over now than he would have been if he kept the title. I'll probably get back into it properly a few weeks before the royal rumble. I would like to see punk win, because for me he's the guy I tune in to see, his matches are usually the best on the show and very few people can match him on the mic. I don't think he needs it, but he deserves a wrestlemania main event.

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:58 pm

TLC was crap overall. Shield split can now start which is good and Orton won. The amount of revisionist history was fucking annoying though.

Probably gonna watch Final Battle when I finish work early on Friday.

Currently having that semi regular discussion on Facebook. "No Benoit was not a cold blooded killer, here is why....."

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:33 am

Wow just how much are TNA struggling atm?

The main event of Impact was Sting and Jeff hardy vs Bromans, Rockstar Spud and EC3, after which Jeff hardy "quit".

I make that RVD, AJ Styles, Tara, Mr Anderson, Velvet Sky, Angelina Love, Madison Rayne, ODB, Hulk Hogan, Kurt Angle, possibly Sting and now Jeff Hardy whose contract situations or whatever have come up this year.

Real sense of the last days of WCW.

Jesse Goderz - Shawn Stasiak, Robbie E - Chuck Palumbo, EC3 - Shaun O'Haire. The company will promote as exciting young talent, in reality they won't likely do shit past the tag division.

Excitement comes from X Division although with repeat feuds (Sabin and Aries atm). Much like Cruiserweight division (Mysterio and Kidman).

Really hope I am wrong but I'm going to the tour in Febuary, not sure will be a tour in 2015.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:39 am

I think TNA are doing fine. There have been some contract issues, some of the people you mentioned left for different reasons though, and I'm convinced the an styles thing is a total work. Magnus as world champion will be god, even if he just loses to an when he comes back. Great young wrestler to be pushing, especially if he still has the title through the UK tour.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Styles is going to be having the best matches of his career in the next few months in ROH, CZW, PWG, 2CW etc. and probably getting paid about as much per appearance as he was in TNA. I'd be happy if he doesn't go back, he's been wasted there for too long.

TNA is in serious trouble, I don't see how anyone could deny that. They still have a strong roster, but terrible booking and are hemorrhaging money. ROH is definitely on the brink of overtaking them as the #2 company, especially now that they'll probably be getting new fans thanks to Hero and AJ Styles. They definitely have the #1 product in America right now- Final Battle was one of the best shows of the year, wiping the floor with any TNA pay per view and on par with Mania, Summerslam and Money In The Bank. It might be a big risk, but I think the time might be nearly right for them to convince Sinclair Broadcasting to sell their majority stake and find a cable network.

In other news, HHH's bodybuilder fetish continues. Wrestling Observer were reporting last night that WWE won't be signing the American Wolves after all. Apparently NXT has enough small guys who can put on great matches already (Adrien Neville, Sami Zayn etc.), and HHH wants guys who can headline Mania in 5-10 years time. Apparently 2 of the best wrestlers on the planet are incapable of that because they're both less than 220 lbs and one of them is 5'9'' :rolleyes:
Upcoming Gigs

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Haven't watched wrestling in forever, but are there any recent PPVs there are worth watching? WWE or TNA. Or even ROH if those are available now.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:07 pm

Aj returned on impact last night apparently

Fliff
Warrior of Metal

Postby Fliff » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:15 pm

It was taped before AJ officially left the company i believe (i could be wrong though)

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:11 pm

I just figure AJ will be back in time for Lockdown.

I like Magnus but wrestling companies in particular need to realise the true meaning of the word potential.

The main issue with TNA storyline wise atm is the constant repetition leads to boredom.

Fortune/Immortal - Aces And Eights - Dixie and Co.

There will never be another nWo nor should they be arguably. All TNA seem to come up with for a last few years is a big bad stable ruling the roost.

Made even more tedious when WWE pissed all over it with The Nexus and The SHield with comparative ease.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:56 pm

Jobdone wrote:Haven't watched wrestling in forever, but are there any recent PPVs there are worth watching? WWE or TNA. Or even ROH if those are available now.

I mostly use Bollyrulez.net and desirulez.net for streaming/download links. I found ROH Final Battle on desi earlier, but it's become a lot harder to find links for indie stuff online recently.
Upcoming Gigs