The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Tankplanker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Saw the NJPW event @ MK last Saturday.
Felt like a proper NJPW event, some fun matches, some really good matches, but still only "house show" level. The final match between Okada * Ishii vs. Suzuki & Zak was nuts though, Ishii vs. Suzuki's upcoming war is going to be brutal.

Did the meet and greet first, everybody was really friendly but it cost as much as the actual show!

Next events for me is the NXT UK shows @ Brum, managed to snag front row tickets for both nights.

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:12 am

Tankplanker wrote:Saw the NJPW event @ MK last Saturday.
Felt like a proper NJPW event, some fun matches, some really good matches, but still only "house show" level. The final match between Okada * Ishii vs. Suzuki & Zak was nuts though, Ishii vs. Suzuki's upcoming war is going to be brutal.

Did the meet and greet first, everybody was really friendly but it cost as much as the actual show!

Next events for me is the NXT UK shows @ Brum, managed to snag front row tickets for both nights.

aye was a fun event! Even though it was a house show level card it was still miles above what WWE normally give us over here. Suzuki and Ishii going at it was mental. My man Ishimori was a beast too. can't get over how small he is!

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:20 am

I heard mixed review of the MK one, though mainly from more hardcore NJPW /British graps fans who think the card looked too much like a Rev Pro show. Glad you guys enjoyed it :)

Zack pinning Okada clean in the main event of the Manchester* card was interesting!

* Altrincham, lol

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 am

I saw the complaints before the show (and I'd still agree Manchester had the better card), but not many people seemed to be complaining afterwards when they had watched the show ;)

With the CEO x NJPW and RoH shows on the same weekend NJPW were spread pretty thin. A bigger pair of venues and the top two matches from each of the CEO and RoH events added to both cards and you'd have had an amazing show.

Ishimori is the real deal.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:06 pm

I had tickets for both but couldn't go in the end. Going to try and make up for it with PROGRESS at Wembley though.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:36 am

Hope you managed to off load the tickets to recoup the money?

The full shows are on NJPW World as of last night, started watching Night 2.

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Anybody seen Cody vs Omega? From the sounds of it sounds like a meltzer 5* match (he has been pretty generous with his ratings as of late). My bro has a firestick so am probs gonna watch it tonight.

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:10 pm

I watched the Cow Palace show, crap commentary, JR just knows next to nothing about NJPW.

Great post Cody/Omega twist followed by another twist at the end. Cody/Omega was pretty brutal, 5*? Not so sure. Big botched powerbomb from Omega to Cody to the outside, meant to put Cody through the table but instead Cody bangs his head on the table edge.

Speaking of dangerous, looks like Dragon Lee broke Takahashi's neck with another botch. Insanely brutal match that could and probably should have killed both of them. I just hope Takahashi comes through.

White vs Juice was much better than I was expecting. Rest of the card was good to OK.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:31 pm

florencethemachine wrote:Anybody seen Cody vs Omega? From the sounds of it sounds like a meltzer 5* match (he has been pretty generous with his ratings as of late).

I've downloaded the G1 Special today so gonna watch it tomorrow, even though I already know a little about the post-match shenanigans :)

Meltzer probably did give the match 5* considering it took place in Japan and involved Kenny Omega which seems to be his only criteria these days.

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:00 am

Kenny and the Young Bucks take the piss out of the 5*+++ myth in the latest Being Elite episode, quite funny.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:20 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
florencethemachine wrote:Anybody seen Cody vs Omega? From the sounds of it sounds like a meltzer 5* match (he has been pretty generous with his ratings as of late).

I've downloaded the G1 Special today so gonna watch it tomorrow, even though I already know a little about the post-match shenanigans :)

Meltzer probably did give the match 5* considering it took place in Japan and involved Kenny Omega which seems to be his only criteria these days.

I know San Francisco has a big Japanese population but I'm pretty sure it's still in the US...
Upcoming Gigs

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Lol. Sorry, I meant to type "took place in New Japan" as in the company, not the country. My bad.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:14 pm

I figured that's what you meant, but I can't help but take the piss out of people who say Meltzer only rates Omega/New Japan matches highly. He's given nine 5 or 5+ ratings this year and three of them were for NXT matches.
Upcoming Gigs

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:I figured that's what you meant, but I can't help but take the piss out of people who say Meltzer only rates Omega/New Japan matches highly. He's given nine 5 or 5+ ratings this year and three of them were for NXT matches.

I would say only Almas vs Gargano was worthy of the 5* treatment. The ladder match was fun and spot heavy but not one to be added to the pantheon of greats. I need to watch Gargano vs Ciampa again as I was a bit tired when I first saw it but it was a very good match.

Speaking of dangerous, looks like Dragon Lee broke Takahashi's neck with another botch. Insanely brutal match that could and probably should have killed both of them. I just hope Takahashi comes through.

That was a brutal looking spot. Apparently Dragon Lee was meant to bridge it. Hope Takahashi is alright as he is red hot atm.

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:50 am

Ciampa is my favorite heel right now, he could have a match with most of the faces on the NXT roster and make it a fantastic match for me. NXT is just so packed with guys I actually want to watch who will likely be buried when they go to the main roster I don't want them to leave.