The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Danroush
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Danroush » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Big D wrote:
decimator wrote:its been ages sinece i've seen anything remotely violent in WWE, they need to permanently replace the ropes with barbed wire and make it mandatory for all wrestlers to carry a knife

So basically you want the WWE to be FMW circa 1996 ish. Well it certainly beats the John Fucking Cena Show.

or the original ECW
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:20 pm

Big D wrote:
decimator wrote:its been ages sinece i've seen anything remotely violent in WWE, they need to permanently replace the ropes with barbed wire and make it mandatory for all wrestlers to carry a knife

So basically you want the WWE to be FMW circa 1996 ish. Well it certainly beats the John Fucking Cena Show.

Somebody mentioned Mick Foley as a reason C4 backed out of their contract with the WWE as soon as they could. I'd say Mae Young getting her norks out didn't help.

It's changing a bit now, since ol' John lost the title to Sheamus (thank fuck) he has gone away this bit, and wasn't even present at this week's Raw. He was not missed.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:25 pm

herzeleid wrote:
Big D wrote:

Somebody mentioned Mick Foley as a reason C4 backed out of their contract with the WWE as soon as they could. I'd say Mae Young getting her norks out didn't help.

It's changing a bit now, since ol' John lost the title to Sheamus (thank fuck) he has gone away this bit, and wasn't even present at this week's Raw. He was not missed.

Cena was one of the main reasons I stopped watching. Every match with him is just he fails throughout the 20 minutes or so, then does one scoop slam, which somehow is apparently enough to leave them on the ground for a good minute or 2 while he showboats about his 5knuckle shuffle, then his bad finisher knocks em down for the count

he's about as varied as a piece of paper
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Big D wrote:

Probably the first pair of tits I ever saw.

manowarrior
Leather Rebel

Postby manowarrior » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Big D wrote:So basically you want the WWE to be FMW circa 1996 ish.

the kawasaki stadium show is amazing that year!! the megumi kudo match is insane :yes:

Big D wrote:Somebody mentioned Mick Foley as a reason C4 backed out of their contract with the WWE as soon as they could.

yeah it was that the the dudleys putting trish stratus through a table (which they censored after 1am!)
I can see by that look that you have in your eyes, you came here for metal to fight and to die!

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:21 pm

changing the subject a little, how fake was the original ECW compared to modern WWE? was it just as fake but with less storylines, or was it a little more real

Grimslath
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Grimslath » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Danroush wrote:
Cena was one of the main reasons I stopped watching. Every match with him is just he fails throughout the 20 minutes or so, then does one scoop slam, which somehow is apparently enough to leave them on the ground for a good minute or 2 while he showboats about his 5knuckle shuffle, then his bad finisher knocks em down for the count

he's about as varied as a piece of paper

Aye... he's one of the reasons I don't watch wrestling anymore! Can't stand him!
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult for BOA 2012!

The Toad
Paster of Muppets

Postby The Toad » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Danroush wrote:changing the subject a little, how fake was the original ECW compared to modern WWE? was it just as fake but with less storylines, or was it a little more real

ECW was over the top, chairs, ladders, kendo sticks, barbed wire etc. The technical ability of the wrestlers tended to not be as important as in the WWE at the time, but everything seemed more due to the amount of blood.

Look for the Tommy Dreamer/Sabu barbed wire match on youtube. Most Sabu matches, actually. He was a bit of a nutjob. Foley got to work his barbed wire angle well on the show too.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:36 pm

The Toad wrote:
Danroush wrote:changing the subject a little, how fake was the original ECW compared to modern WWE? was it just as fake but with less storylines, or was it a little more real

ECW was over the top, chairs, ladders, kendo sticks, barbed wire etc. The technical ability of the wrestlers tended to not be as important as in the WWE at the time, but everything seemed more due to the amount of blood.

Look for the Tommy Dreamer/Sabu barbed wire match on youtube. Most Sabu matches, actually. He was a bit of a nutjob. Foley got to work his barbed wire angle well on the show too.

yeah I've seen bits and bobs, so are you saying it was more real because they actually fought with weapons?

The Toad
Paster of Muppets

Postby The Toad » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Danroush wrote:
The Toad wrote:

yeah I've seen bits and bobs, so are you saying it was more real because they actually fought with weapons?

It felt more raw (no pun intended) than WWF or WCW at the time, and you had the idea that anything could happen. The number of weapons used generally added to the sense of danger. A lot of it probably looks quite tame today, since most of the major promotions have used the gimmicks at one point or another, even if they have scaled back on them in recent years. The days of the WWE Hardcore title were quite good fun, too.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:43 pm

The Toad wrote:

Sabu was/is mental. His "Stairway to hell" match (roll of barbed wire suspended above the ring, the first person to reach it with a ladder can use it) against The Sandman is a great match.

I can see where you're coming from regarding the technical aspect, but you've got to remember that some of the best technical wrestlers in the business were in ECW before moving to WWE, often via WCW: Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, Lance Storm and Dean Malenko all took that route.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

The Toad
Paster of Muppets

Postby The Toad » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:47 pm

MetalBeast wrote:
The Toad wrote:

Sabu was/is mental. His "Stairway to hell" match (roll of barbed wire suspended above the ring, the first person to reach it with a ladder can use it) against The Sandman is a great match.

I can see where you're coming from regarding the technical aspect, but you've got to remember that some of the best technical wrestlers in the business were in ECW before moving to WWE, often via WCW: Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, Lance Storm and Dean Malenko all took that route.

Definitely - they were all excellent wrestlers, but the stars were Raven, Sandman, Sabu, Tommy Dreamer etc. The emphasis was less on the actual wrestling, which was a shame at times. They really did have some talent.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:48 pm

Danroush wrote:
The Toad wrote:

I don't know about more "real" but ECW was a lot more hard-hitting, especially compared to the kiddie-friendly WWF of the day. One one side you had a bunch of over-muscled goons trading punches. Then on ECW you had a bunch of nutters throwing themselves off balconies, smacking each other with any object you care to name and incidentally, introducing the USA to Lucha and Japanese style wrestling. The downside was ihere were some quite nasty injuries came out of that style.
Have a look here if you don't believe me.
http://www.wrestlinggonewrong.com/pages/ecw.html

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:52 pm

yeh, people were known to have died in the original ECW, one of these being someone broke their neck on the top rope after falling from a platform suspended high above the ring, which was filled with tables

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:55 pm

Is the Big Show still in WWE?

He looks like a taller fatter version of one of my friends.