The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Applecore » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Was really looking forward to watching the Royal Rumble tonight, but Facebook's pathetic attempts to copy Twitter means the winner was clearly displayed in the "Trending" section at the side of my newsfeed.
So pissed off as I'd purposely kept off Twitter to avoid spoliers.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Spoiler - it was shit. Whole show after the first match was bad.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:41 pm

I've heard, but I still spent all day looking forward to watching it only to have the big match result ruined :x
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:54 pm

Not gonna look at any other spoilers as I just started.

But holy fuck. That Bray v Bryan match. It's the first match, but that was fucking awesome.

I'm... I'm worried about where this goes for Bryan now. I heard talk of Cena v Wyatt at WM.

I guess it's kinda hard to actually kill Bryan's heat at this point, and it builds at Wyatt at the monster heel. So fair play.

That was brutal. Amazing show from both. Especially as I just realised Wyatt used to be Husky Harris of short lived Nexus fame.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:06 pm

I agree on it being a great match. That apron spot was particularly awesome, like something Bryan would've done in ROH.

As for where to take the character from here I don't really know, but I'm not worried either. I'm really getting sick of dumbass wannabe smarks complaining about him getting "buried" or HHH and Vince wanting to "kill his push." He's still the most over guy in the company and will get his fair spot at the top soon enough after they give the Cena/Orton/Batista era one last hurrah.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:55 pm

Okay still avoiding spoilers in this thread, will reply to shit eventually, but want to get my thoughts down.

The Big Show/Lesnar thing was fucking genius. Kinda interested to see if Show was actually hurt or not. Not sure if the proclamations of "SHIT" constantly were real or just perfect for the match.

And wow. The crowd for Cena v Orton may be the best thing ever.

"THIS IS AWFUL"

"WE WANT DIVAS"

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Yep, I really enjoyed the Lesnar vs Big Show "match". It did what it was meant to do, and that's make Lesnar look like a beast again.
Upcoming Gigs

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Welp. Incredibly disappointing rumble match, but not unexpected. Planted the seeds for the Rhodes breakup, and positioned Reigns for his singles push. Dear god I hope the Kane thing doesn't turn into a Punk v Kane feud.

And I gotta disagree with the Bryan thing. When you are over as Bryan is right now, you need to say "Fuck it" to the old guard. Yes, he's not gonna suddenly be hated any time soon, but to let him stagnate when the crowd is screaming his name every 5 minutes is stupid. Especially considering the hilarious response to yet another Orton/Cena match. At least that set up the Cena/Wyatt thing.

And unrelated, but Zeb Colter is like my favourite thing ever. Those two signs were amazing.

For full thoughts on the rumble, please see this notepad of jotted down lines as I watched:
http://pastebin.com/3dV8T7w5

EDIT: FRom DB's twitter:

"Sorry guys, the machine wanted me nowhere near the Royal Rumble match. But I thank everyone for their support. YOU are the #YESMovement"

That, combined with the Foley rant, I'm not sure if I'm being fucked with now. Creative is fucking with us to get even more support for the new guys. WHO KNOWS MAN. HOPEFULLY EXCITING THINGS IN THE NEXT TWO MONTHS. HOPEFULLY.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:56 am

Okay that's pretty jokes.

Daniel Bryan tweet makes it onto the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25911039

This has gotta be a work man.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:09 am

I thought the same when I saw the newsbeat article. The more they show themselves to be ignoring Bryan/the fans the more over he'll get. I haven't watched RAW yet but one of the facebook pages I follow said last night he's bigger now than even Austin was. I'd like to see what his merch sales are at now because I dare say he's not far off it. He needs a few more good t-shirt slogans though. Yesamania is cool and all, but that "Sooner or later everyone taps" shirt is still the coolest thing he's had.
Upcoming Gigs

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:32 am

Yeah, that's my only worry.

He's amazing in the ring, everyone knows that, but I don't know if his promo work is good enough to keep this going as long as an Austin or Rock or whatever.

But still, incredibly excited for Raw tonight. Will be interesting to see if the Foley thing turns into anything later on. Him cutting a promo on the authority "Blah blah blah I didn't look like a world champion etc" wouldn't be unthinkable.

Also this:
https://twitter.com/CodyRhodesWWE/statu ... 8960649217

WWE might be setting up for a big switch over to the newer talent this year.

But I can speculate as much as I want, we'll just have to wait and see, if they fuck it up.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:27 pm

Another thing I really noticed about The Rumble was how much the audience was behind Ziggler, even though he's barely been on TV in months.

This is what WWE really need to start listening to and understanding, is that fans these days are smarter and can't be dictated to. We'll cheer for whoever puts on the best matches regardless of traditional heel/face categorisations (hence why The Shield, The Wyatts and The Real Americans are all so popular and Dolph was still popular as a heel) and react with ire to anyone who gets pushed down our throats. I hope they're smart enough to realise that when people boo Randy Orton that's not him getting heat, that's people being bored by him. I've actually come closer to enjoying him as champ in this run than ever before, but he's still overrated, boring and forced upon us.
Upcoming Gigs

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:38 pm

They've embraced social media so much, but they don't really fully understand the implications of it any more. It's way harder to tell the audience who to cheer for and who to boo because everyone is conferring with everyone else during every single show in their thousands. The Real Americans were amazing on Raw, they should be fighting for tag team gold really. Not that NAO aren't good, but I still don't get the big deal. If they weren't old guy who had nostalgia value, people would be lukewarm on them bar Dogg's mic skills.

Also, after what happened on RAW, I really really really hope they give us Shield Vs Wyatts. I assume a Wyatt win will lead to a Shield breakup, with Reigns going up, Ambrose going mildly up, and Rollins rolling around in the midcard.

P.S. Joe, this is for you

http://i.imgur.com/7bTmhZL.jpg

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:47 pm

<3 thank you sam-kun.

also yeah, without nostalgia, I seriously doubt the New Age Outlaws would be getting anywhere.

Someone noted something, right now we've got Batista and Orton with/in the title scene, Michaels/Flair on the panel, New Age Outlaws on the tag belt, and Kevin Nash with the surprise spot.

The Triple H club lives again.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Spoilers for those who haven't seen the Royal Rumble (though if you have avoided spoilers so far, good on ya)

Really really disappointed with the Royal Rumble.
As others have said before, it was so gutting to see the whole crowd cheering for Daniel Bryan during the rumble match only to not get what they wanted. Imagine the energy if he'd charged straight into the ring and won it.
But nope, gotta have the win for the guy who's return has been hyped for a month, because that's what's expected.
Plus I found the Orton/Cena match really boring too. Much like Batista's return, it was waaay overhyped, so when it happened it just felt like being told what you're getting for Christmas, and then only getting that. No excitement or anything.
Big Show/Lesnar was alright but really felt like something they could have done on Raw instead.
Bryan/Bray was the best match of the night by a country mile and, while it was disappointing to see him lose, it was still a damn satisfying match.
Now, the rumble match itself.. way too much time with nothing happening, no huge surprises (the only ones that I really noticed being Kevin Nash, JBL and El Torito) and a REALLY disappointing exit for CM Punk. I was actually kind of pissed off by that.

Really hoping that Reigns breaks from The Shield now, as he's shown he's better than Rollins and Ambrose, though I'd much rather see Ambrose booted from The Shield than Reigns.
Also, a question for any Shield fans.. Why are they always wet?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock