The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Applecore » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:15 pm

NXT Takeover was more than a bit good. All title matches had the result I didn't want (wording it that way to avoid spoilers, as I don't think I've said who I was backing), but I never felt let down or cheated like I would with the main product.
Also can confirm, the man you know as KENTA is making his in-ring debut on next week's show.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:59 pm

under the name Hideo Itami. Cool name but I think a lot of people were hoping for some reference to his past or his idols in his name. Kind of like how Chris Hero chose the name Kassius Ohno as a reference to his KO Kid nickname. No references to Misawa or Kobashi unfortunately.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:13 pm

Currently watching Bayley vs Charlotte. No sold on Charlotte I'm afraid, just like I've never been sold on ric flair. However I see her as the next Michelle McCool type diva. Not a fan personally.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:14 pm

Closest people have found is a Japanese baseball player who made it big in America.

And that "Itami" can mean "Pain" which is pretty cool.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:45 pm

Bayley is my favourite face ever.

She's just so lovely.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:43 pm

Jobdone wrote:Closest people have found is a Japanese baseball player who made it big in America.

And that "Itami" can mean "Pain" which is pretty cool.

Most famous Hideo in wrestling is Hideo Saito, now known as Captain New Japan. Basically a comedy jobber who is a cross between Captain America and John Cena. Never wrestled in the same place as KENTA though.

The baseball thing could be a good explanation, though as far as I know KENTA (and his best bud Katsuyori Shibata) are bigger fans of soccer.
Upcoming Gigs

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Apparently the baseball player was the first japanese baseball player to make it big in america, so that might why he's an inspiration or whatever.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:10 am

Best I found was an Olympic wrestler named Hideo.. forgotten the surname though haha.
Agreed with Mike about Charlotte. She's good, but not very interesting.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:25 am

Aside from a decent match between Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins (which alone was an odd booking so close to Night of Champions), RAW was pants this week.
For some reason they decided to end the show on a Mark Henry/Rusev promo that brought nothing new to the feud and frankly belonged buried in the midcard.
After the success of NXT Takeover, you'd have thought they'd up their game..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 am

I like Charlotte, she proved that Nattie was still capable of having a really good match. Going forward though she needs a more interesting gimmick. Being Flair's daughter isn't enough, unless they really plan on making her "The Nature Girl." Same suits, limos, jets, crazy promos, getting naked in the ring when she's mad... I think that would be a cool gimmick for a diva in this day and age actually, big it up as a gender role reversal when she buys jewelry for men instead of the other way round etc...

Also, staying at my sisters for two weeks with a smart TV I can cast YouTube videos too from my phone is amazing. No buffering or anything you normally get with these TV apps. Last night I had Kobashi vs Misawa from NOAH in 2003, Angle vs Joe from Genesis 2006 and Danielson vs McGuinness from ROH 6th Anniversary on. Soooo much better on a 42 inch screen!
Upcoming Gigs

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:49 am

Apparently last night they essentially said "At the half time of the football game on the other channel, Cena will do a thing".

Aka. You don't need to watch before or after that. The main event feud will be continued at half time, fuck everything else.

Also they gave the PPV match of Rollins/Reigns away for free. And it ended clean. Kek to fuck on these recent Raws. They're fucking miserable.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:50 am

There was a load of people losing their shit on Twitter when it got to the halfway point in RAW and there was no mention of Cena/Heyman. They forgot to mention on the show that it was half time on the football game..
As for what happened, it was nothing. Cena dragged Heyman to the ring, Heyman pointed out that he was being a bully, and tapping into the monster he needs to become to beat Lesnar. So Cena just went "nah, you deserve a beating, but that's not who I am" and walked off, Heyman mentioned Cena's mother - and kids, bear in mind what had just been said about bullying - that's an excuse to throw down. Then Lesnar appeared and they squabbled for a bit only to get separated by officials. Yawn.

And yeah, the Rollins/Reigns match absolutely did not need to happen yet. It's booked for Night of Champions, so they've just sold short one of the main draws for the PPV.. I was hoping for an Ambrose return, given that all the commentators would talk about was how he's been out of action thanks to Rollins, etc. Probably see him back at Night of Champions, to be fair.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Apparently Ambrose's filming ends on Saturday, so he should be making a run in for that one.

And yeah. I mean, THE HEEL MANAGER DESERVES A BEATING only works if the heel manager:

A) Isn't loved by the crowd
B) The babyface doing it isn't hated by half the crowd
C) The manager has actually interfered, caused you to lose, and being generally massively antagonistic.

Otherwise you just look like a dick beating up an old man.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:04 pm

Thing is, does Paul Heyman even really deserve it? Sure he's an irritating fucker, but Cena's point was "I want Brock Lesnar next week for a fight, or I'm going to fight you". Which is just being a thug, and doesn't work coming from someone who acts like he wants to be a role model for kids. This week's RAW (and arguably last week's) just didn't fit Cena's character. In fact, it makes me really worried about how good the rematch will be at Night of Champions.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Going forward though she needs a more interesting gimmick. Being Flair's daughter isn't enough, unless they really plan on making her "The Nature Girl." Same suits, limos, jets, crazy promos, getting naked in the ring when she's mad... I think that would be a cool gimmick for a diva in this day and age actually, big it up as a gender role reversal when she buys jewelry for men instead of the other way round etc...

That would be the best thing to happen in women's wrasslin' for some time...maybe even in wrestling as a whole.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!