The Ale Thread.

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Prometherion91
Denim Demon

Re: The Ale Thread.

Postby Prometherion91 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:54 pm

Currently drinking a pine ale from Scotland called Alba. It tastes like trees and it's lovely.
Womble wrote:Petri isn't fat. He's just ribbed for her pleasure.

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:13 pm

I was never much an ale fan but I've started to enjoy it more and more recently. It's pot luck if I get to the pub before my mate (an ale expert) of which one I get but I'll happily scarifice a few hours to get to know brewries etc.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:19 pm

*** Cider section ***

Thatchers Katy: My new favourite cider. Just the right sweetness, fizz and flavour. While Stowford Press left a harsh aftertaste, this doesn't and is rather more pleasant. Rather potent too at 7.4%

Knights Premium Reserve: Larger bottle at 660ml and 5.8%. Doesn't make up for its horrid over-sweet flavour. It's a case of quantity over quality here.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

HollyTheHeadbanger
Denim Demon

Postby HollyTheHeadbanger » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Fullers' Jack Frost is fucking lovely.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Drove past the Fullers brewery on Sunday. Totally caught me out of the blue.

Well, I now know where it is, I might quest it next time I find myself in London.

mcroper
Paster of Muppets

Postby mcroper » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Noodle wrote:Thatchers Katy: My new favourite cider. Just the right sweetness, fizz and flavour. While Stowford Press left a harsh aftertaste, this doesn't and is rather more pleasant. Rather potent too at 7.4%

Really? I didn't find it very sweet, it's a nice cider but i wouldnt jump at the chance of drinking it again. Better than most ciders though

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:03 pm

mcroper wrote:
Noodle wrote:Thatchers Katy: My new favourite cider. Just the right sweetness, fizz and flavour. While Stowford Press left a harsh aftertaste, this doesn't and is rather more pleasant. Rather potent too at 7.4%

Really? I didn't find it very sweet, it's a nice cider but i wouldnt jump at the chance of drinking it again. Better than most ciders though

It wasn't that sweet, no. It was the right sweetness for me though, i.e. just a hint of sweetness. I don't like my ciders tasting like sugar though
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

mcroper
Paster of Muppets

Postby mcroper » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:30 pm

Noodle wrote:
mcroper wrote:

It wasn't that sweet, no. It was the right sweetness for me though, i.e. just a hint of sweetness. I don't like my ciders tasting like sugar though

I think i had gotten my expectations of it up too much before I drank it. I'd still rate it over things like Strongbow etc though

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:34 pm

If you wish to talk about alcoholic beverages made out of apples, ADD EACH OTHER ON MSN.

Cider is a pants drink. Its not enjoyed, its a tool...a tool in which you get bladdered off.

Malevolent Jim
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Malevolent Jim » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:37 pm

I started drinking Smithicks. It's awesome.

manowarrior
Leather Rebel

Postby manowarrior » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:47 am

Tried a Harviestoun's Bitter & Twisted for the first time last night, VERY impressed!
Isn't too light tbh but still a nice fruity drop.

Do any of you guys drink Jenning's beers by any chance? The brewery is near where I live but unsure if their stuff is known much outside of Cumbria!

The Oz and Hugh raise the bar was a fantastic show imo, there is a similar American show called Three Sheets I can recommend too although it's impossible to watch and not want a drink :D
I can see by that look that you have in your eyes, you came here for metal to fight and to die!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Malevolent Jim wrote:I started drinking Smithicks. It's awesome.

Try Kilkenny if you can find it, much better of the 2 big brands of Franciscan ale
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Had some Marston's Oyster Stout the other night and quite enjoyed it

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:03 pm

Beardy wrote:Had some Marston's Oyster Stout the other night and quite enjoyed it

ok I know they go well but oysters in the stout? I have to try this!
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:13 pm

I don't think they actually do put it in with the Marston's one, it's just implied that they go well with them. There are ones that are made with oysters in the barrel though, there's at least one brewery in Dublin (the name of which escapes me right now), that labels it's stout as "not suitable for vegetarians" because of using oysters in the brewing process.