The Ale Thread.

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The Ale Thread.

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 pm

Turbo wrote:Yeah, they sit in a pub 4 days a week drinking 8 pints of the piss a night, then have the cheek to say the head is insufficient, or get this one right, my mate told me about a time that a guy had returned a pint of Fosters because it was poored into a Carlsberg glass. I mean seriously

If I was a barman (not that i'd ever work anywhere that served Carling, Fosters or Carlsberg) and that happened to me i'd suggest getting one of his mate's to drink it and then piss in his mouth so he can enjoy it that way. would taste better I reckon.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:45 pm

See what they dont understand is, there are delicious beers, good beers, average beers, below par beers, rubbish beers, and then the fashionable lagers. If only some people realised how far down the pecking order they really were.

I know for a fact that some bars which even pump Carlsberg through a Carling tap because they taste more or less identical to the average Carlsberg/Carling drinker. A certain pub in Birmingham was selling San Miguel on tap and I identified it as Stella Artois.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Turbo, you like your dark beers.. you ever had Budvar Dark?
Currently working on a pint of it and it's fucking gorgeous!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Applecore wrote:Turbo, you like your dark beers.. you ever had Budvar Dark?

Budvar as in the Czech Budweiser guys? Sounds interesting, where did you pick it up from?

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Turbo wrote:

Budvar as in the Czech Budweiser guys? Sounds interesting, where did you pick it up from?

Yeah it's their dark lager. Picked it up in the Wetherspoon pub I work in, so I'll assume it's in all of them (we've just introduced a bunch of foreign lagers - Birra Moretti, Staropramen, Budvar, Miller :eyes: ). Bit expensive at £2.80 a bottle, but it's great!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:28 pm

I might pop into spoons on the way to the staff do on Saturday as their both in Solihull and close to each other. See what they've got. Satchwells (spoons in Leamington) had a whole heap of ales last time I was there, but I was driving so I couldnt indulge.

mcroper
Paster of Muppets

Postby mcroper » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 am

Turbo wrote:I might pop into spoons on the way to the staff do on Saturday as their both in Solihull and close to each other. See what they've got. Satchwells (spoons in Leamington) had a whole heap of ales last time I was there, but I was driving so I couldnt indulge.

The Ale selection wasn't great in there last weekend, they has about 2 of the guest ales off tap and nothing particularly interesting

manowarrior
Leather Rebel

Postby manowarrior » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:06 am

A new pub has opened in Carlisle which has grolsch blond, blue moon (WIN) and 4 casks on as well as a huge bottle bank so looking forward to that after work!
I can see by that look that you have in your eyes, you came here for metal to fight and to die!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 pm

mcroper wrote:
Turbo wrote:I might pop into spoons on the way to the staff do on Saturday as their both in Solihull and close to each other. See what they've got. Satchwells (spoons in Leamington) had a whole heap of ales last time I was there, but I was driving so I couldnt indulge.

The Ale selection wasn't great in there last weekend, they has about 2 of the guest ales off tap and nothing particularly interesting

Wetherspoon pubs are meant to change their guest ales every 2-3 days, so I wouldn't hold that against them :yes:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

mcroper
Paster of Muppets

Postby mcroper » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Applecore wrote:
mcroper wrote:

Wetherspoon pubs are meant to change their guest ales every 2-3 days, so I wouldn't hold that against them :yes:

It was a Saturday and they only had 3 guest ales available, I'm not drinking their shitty watered down Ruddles! :|

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:21 pm

We've had similar problems in our pub. Thing is, it's the only option if the others have either gone off or run out. Lines are meant to be cleaned between each barrel being put on, and not every member of staff knows how to do it, so if there's only one manager on then it can take a while for ales to be changed.
We're in for a right kicking this weekend though. We've got Straw Bear festival in our town (seriously, google it, it's brilliant) which is effectively the entire town (plus people travelling in from places as far as Germany and even America) on a pubcrawl throughout Saturday. It's as much of a real ale festival as it is a folk fest tbh. Thing is, we've not got any extra draught beers in. I think we're going to struggle...
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:28 am

Ive only ever had Ruddles County on tap. Im sure its about 5,0% in bottle but our pubs water it down to 3,6. I hope the place im going to tomorrow has something a bit more decent than fucking Carling or something badly rotgut like that.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:39 pm

Turbo wrote:

They sell it at tesco near Cookie. Could be a nationwide thing
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Didn't know there was a dark Budvar, shall have to keep an eye out for it. I've had Erdinger Dunkel a few times which is glorious, Morrisons usually have it but it can be quite expensive so I only really get it if it's on offer.

Silent Bob
Warrior of Metal

Postby Silent Bob » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:14 pm

Beardy wrote:Didn't know there was a dark Budvar, shall have to keep an eye out for it. I've had Erdinger Dunkel a few times which is glorious, Morrisons usually have it but it can be quite expensive so I only really get it if it's on offer.

Aye, dark Budvar exists and it's rank. Then again, I'm not a massive ale fan. Morrisons is good (I'm only saying this because he works at head office and we get discounts).
Bloodstock Main Stage Crew 2010

Me
My man
My ModelMayhem stuff