The Ale Thread.

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Re: The Ale Thread.

Postby tranmerefan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:48 pm

I thought it was ok, nothing majorly special but drinkable. Weirdest I had yesterday was the Plum Treat. Weirdest but still quite nice.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:49 pm

festival pints are £1.60 at The Bridgehouse, gonna be madness when I get money in and can afford to go down
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:43 pm

I forget the brewer but I had 3 pints of Plum Treat last night. Really nice beer, kinda sweet and fruity. Went down really smoothly and was quite moreish.
Also had a couple of pints of Wychwood's Paddy's Stout. I'm assuming it was intended for St Patrick's Day, but the pub I was in must've had extra, or never got around to putting it on (didn't taste like it had been on since St Paddy's, at least). Still, I'm not usually a stout drinker, but this tasted pretty much as expected. It was nice and drinkable, but I wasn't too keen on the aftertaste, and it took me ages to drink a pint of it. Would've stopped at one but one of my mates plonked another pint (and later a half) down in front of me before I could say I was alright for beer. Still, no regrets.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:35 pm

I had this lovely beer the other day called Carl's Berg.

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:38 pm

Moonburp wrote:I had this lovely beer the other day called Carl's Berg.

That reminds me of an asian beer I tried once called Car-Ling. It was exquisite.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 pm

V-Man wrote:
Moonburp wrote:I had this lovely beer the other day called Carl's Berg.

That reminds me of an asian beer I tried once called Car-Ling. It was exquisite.

Not as good as Ten Nents, a lovely tipple I had in Glasgow. It was a super drink, it even said so on the can.

manowarrior
Leather Rebel

Postby manowarrior » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:56 am

Has anyone tried the Daleside White or the Green Jack Orange Wheat in the wetherspoons festival?
I can see by that look that you have in your eyes, you came here for metal to fight and to die!

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:19 pm

manowarrior wrote:Has anyone tried the Daleside White or the Green Jack Orange Wheat in the wetherspoons festival?

Not yet, but if it's on when I go I will. Last night was the Jennings Cocky Blond and Buttcombe Mendip Spring.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:08 pm

It's official- Tsingtao shits are worse than Guinness shits
Upcoming Gigs

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:59 pm

i've had a few of the festivales now although remembering what I thought of them is a struggle;

Bateman's All Seasons: to be honest if this was a blind tasting i'd have been 60-70% sure this was a Shepherd Neame beer, just had that aftertaste I always associate with them. A bit more nuanced and subtler than anything they do though, well-balanced at any rate but i'm not in any great hurry to have it again.

Acorn 1887 (God Created Tangerine): this was an interesting one, speciality beers like this I either love or loathe and this one leans more towards love. Lovely and dry lingering aftertaste.

Lodewijk's Dutch Delight: the notes said with a hint of caramel but luckily it was a bit more than a hint, lovely rich taste. Could have easily been on this all night, and at 5.5% I would have been a lot worse for it in the morning!

Wadworth 125 Celebratory Stout: the last stout by these guys I tried was their blackcurrant stout which I didn't really take too- too complex in the bitterness and too simple in the fruitiness. Take out the fruit and fuck in a load of muscovado sugar and this is one of the best English stouts i've ever tried

Saltaire Liquorice Stout: sweet, dark and rich- enough said, fucking lovely.

Nethergate Saison Blonde: thoroughly refreshing, and a wee bit spicy too. Another one I could've stuck with all night if I didn't have to head elsewhere.

Welss Banana Bread Beer: an interesting idea and a tasty enough one at that. Great fruity aroma off it too and the caramel hints are a great addition but I don't think the spicy, almost peppery hops taste suits it
Upcoming Gigs

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:25 pm

There are Swedish (I know wtf?) and American ales in Lloyds bar. Anyone given them ago yet? Sceptical about the US one, but the Swedish one intrigues me. Ale is a tad on the heavy side to get bladdered on so I didnt bother yesterday. Just Lech last night.

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:59 pm

I asked for a [Banks's Original] Cask in the pub last night, initially confusing the barmaid and getting me a whole night's worth of stick from everyone.

They're all lager drinkers, they just don't understand. :lol:
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:51 am

Turbo wrote:There are Swedish (I know wtf?) and American ales in Lloyds bar. Anyone given them ago yet? Sceptical about the US one, but the Swedish one intrigues me. Ale is a tad on the heavy side to get bladdered on so I didnt bother yesterday. Just Lech last night.

Tried the Swedish yesterday, it's not bad. Doesn't stand a mile out, but it's reasonably pleasant.
Had a few pints of Chocolate Mild yesterday. Didn't get the chocolate taste, but definitely the coffee. Decent, drinkable beer.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:39 pm

Tiger with ginger/lemongrass that went out of date in 2009: surprisingly tasty, the ginger one especially

3 years out of date Coors Light: not so good
Upcoming Gigs

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:46 pm

I wasn't a fan of the ginger ale that I had last night. I was glad I only bought third of a pints because I would have struggled to drink a full pint
Last.fm Profile

Facebook