The Ale Thread.

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Re: The Ale Thread.

Postby xBERSERKERx » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:44 am

What decent ale do Tesco sell?
Alex. wrote:This record better be as fit as Bezerker's ex's sister or I'm gonna be pissed.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:52 am

A fair bit, actually. My local Tesco Extra has loads.
Best advice is to just pick up a few random bottles. Check the tasting notes on the back to make sure you like the sound of them though. Nothing worse than blindly buying a beer only to find out you hate it on the first sip.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

manowarrior
Leather Rebel

Postby manowarrior » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Went to a Wetherspoons in Leeds on Saturday and had the Daleside Wheat, it tasted fantastic (very Belgianesque) however when I tried it in my local branch last night it had that "typical Wetherspoons ale" taste.

Is Wetherspoons hit and miss everywhere or is just ours that can't serve a decent drop?
I can see by that look that you have in your eyes, you came here for metal to fight and to die!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 pm

manowarrior wrote:Went to a Wetherspoons in Leeds on Saturday and had the Daleside Wheat, it tasted fantastic (very Belgianesque) however when I tried it in my local branch last night it had that "typical Wetherspoons ale" taste.

Is Wetherspoons hit and miss everywhere or is just ours that can't serve a decent drop?

Our ales usually taste fine (only really had problems with one of the pumps and the odd barrel of Abbot). Could just be how your local treats them before serving, or they aren't cleaning the lines when changing beers?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Applecore wrote:
manowarrior wrote:Went to a Wetherspoons in Leeds on Saturday and had the Daleside Wheat, it tasted fantastic (very Belgianesque) however when I tried it in my local branch last night it had that "typical Wetherspoons ale" taste.

Our ales usually taste fine (only really had problems with one of the pumps and the odd barrel of Abbot). Could just be how your local treats them before serving, or they aren't cleaning the lines when changing beers?

The Roebuck and Last Post branches of Wetherspoons in Nottingham have never, in my experience, had a problem with the ale...although they can be a bit hit and miss with the food. Dunno about the Sir Joseph Else, only been in there once and that was ages ago.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Bridgehouse Spoons in Belfast is a bit hit and miss. Some ales i've been put of trying again because of a bad pint in there. First time it happened with was with Linenhall Special (Hilden already do a cracker pale ale in the shape of Headless Dog so it was a bit unnecessary anyway) and I put that down to it simply being a shit beer. Then I had a really awful Abbot in there a few weeks ago that I couldn't even finish and it made me think it could've been the lines not being cleaned or something that caused me to hate the Linenhall stuff.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Our local Spoons is ok. I'd prefer to drink somewhere else but finding an ale pub in the middle of mine and my mates house is easier said than done. Wetherspoons is slap bang in the middle and the only one.

Its either that or I have a 30 second walk and my mates have a half hour walk. Great for me, not for him.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Found out recently that The Crown will do Leatherbritches brews like Cad, Bounder and Scoundrel in bottles to take away. Back of the net! Turns out "Hairy Helmet" (available in the Serpent's Lair last year) is Leatherbritches and they sell that to take away too.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:15 pm

Spoons is the only place I go for a pint of ale these days, all the local stuff is much better bottled (with the exception of Hilden Silver and Scullions but there's only one place other than Spoons that does them anyway)
Upcoming Gigs

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:33 pm

I live in a really neglected area for ale, so I take the piss whenever im a bit out of town. Worcester has some great ales, pints that unfortunately make a barrel of one particular ale and as soon as we've exhausted that, that's the lot, no ale like that will ever be made again. I went out to Worcester once with the late Ian Edwards (a local hero, and my best source of anything ale) and he introduced me to these type of pubs, y'know ones that you wouldn't typically go into for whatever reason. One pub (same day actually) we went to was the bar that's in Kidderminster Severn Valley railway station of all places.

xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Postby xBERSERKERx » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Last night I had the nicest ales I have ever had thanks to a 3 for 2 offer in Tescos. Don't mind if I do :P

Wells Banana and Bread Beer - This is easily my favourite beer of all time. Beer brewed with bananas. You can smell them as soon as you open it, however you feel like 'hey, it might smell loads of bananas, but surely a beer won't taste like it'. But no, you are wrong! The first taste you have is of a banana milkshake made out of beer instead of ice cream. It's absolutely glorious and I am going to buy 12 of them today because they are so nice!
Alex. wrote:This record better be as fit as Bezerker's ex's sister or I'm gonna be pissed.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:41 pm

xBERSERKERx wrote:Last night I had the nicest ales I have ever had thanks to a 3 for 2 offer in Tescos. Don't mind if I do :P

Wells Banana and Bread Beer - This is easily my favourite beer of all time. Beer brewed with bananas. You can smell them as soon as you open it, however you feel like 'hey, it might smell loads of bananas, but surely a beer won't taste like it'. But no, you are wrong! The first taste you have is of a banana milkshake made out of beer instead of ice cream. It's absolutely glorious and I am going to buy 12 of them today because they are so nice!

Im not a fan, you'd probably like alot of Germany's wheat beers if you like that though, stuff like Franziskaner and Erdinger. They're very much like that sort of flavour too.

I gave Blue Moon ago finally after some good vibes ive been given by various people. Very credible beer, quite light as alot of yank beers tend to be, wasnt expecting it to be cloudy and was sort of dreading it to be like Hoegaarden because of this reason and them admitting on the label of the beer that they stole the idea from Belgian beer making traditions (though not in those exact words), but it didnt taste like fruity pish like the aforementioned beer, and in fact was very pleasing on the pallet.

...and knowing that ive posted three times in the period I had said I wouldnt be posting in, call this my official return to the forums.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:46 pm

welcome back Turbo!

I tried 2 different Yorkshire ales the other night but true to form I got too drunk to remember them. One was a rather decent red, that's all I remember.
Upcoming Gigs

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Turbo wrote:...and knowing that ive posted three times in the period I had said I wouldnt be posting in, call this my official return to the forums.

...and the BOA forum becomes ever more Royston Vasey-esque...

Welcome back mate :yes:

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:01 am

I would love to try a bottle of this stuff:

http://www.liquoricebeer.com/index.php?f=data_home&a=2
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.